jalapenos

redfish46

Dec 17, 2007
not sure if in the right spot or not, does anybody know if there are fresh jalapenos in sosua, i will be there next week and would like some to cook with

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Very infrequently I have seen jalapenos at Playero, but have not shopped there recently. More frequently they have the smaller Serrano and Thai chili style hot peppers. Once in a while they even have habaneros, but you have to be careful because there is another pepper with the same shape that has no "heat" at all.

Perhaps one of the small vegetable shops in Charamicos has them?

redfish46

Dec 17, 2007
i make them split long ways with cream cheese, a strip of chicken or a little sausage and wrapped in bacon they are really good. i have never seen them in playero

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
How about some Jalapeno on a stick

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QgNKI2CRQFo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

May 29, 2006
The long pencil-thin peppers are very hot(as hot as jalapenos), while the ones that look like haberneros are only mildly hot(and very tasty). You could stuff the ones that look like haberneros with some jalapenos to give them some extra heat.

What I've done for poppers is to mix minced peppers into softened cream cheese and then freeze them in 1/2" balls after rolling them in some Bisquick. Then dip them in batter before deep frying them until they start to ooze melted cheese. You can also use canned nacho cheese like this.

An easier way to do it is to mix an undrained can of corn with some peppers, an egg and about a cup of Bisquick. It should be about the thickness of a muffin batter. Sometimes I'll add in some cornmeal or cheese too. Don't make them too big or they will burn before cooking in the middle.

redfish46

Dec 17, 2007
sounds good but i dont eat much fried food, i bbq mine when im doing a brisket or ribs

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I resorted to growing my own jalapenos. My turkeys ate one once and subsequently left the plant alone.

I have found jalapeno sauce around, next to the tabasco sauce.

As for the peppers themselves: You'll probably have to find a substitute, as you won't find many jalapenos in the stores here. None will have the earthy picante smoky flavor of jalapenos on a grill. You might try the sweet green, red, and yellow/orange bell peppers for a colorful variation. As they are placed on the grill, sprinkle the jalapeno sauce on top for a bit of spicy fire. Combined with the sweetness of the bell peppers, you could get a very flavorful variation (albeit not equivalent to the original).

Good luck.

mandymeme

May 28, 2011
you can get the pickled jalapeno's in a can at playero.....i havent been able to find any chilli's in the past 2-3 weeks....janets nor playero's has them right now. Were growing some.....the seeds just sprouted this week. :)

H20SKI

Jun 2, 2011
We found some a while back at LaSirena in POP - bought all they had, roasted and froze them. It's been a while, though, so if you're going to be here for a few months, growing your own might be your best bet. Bring seeds!

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
A friend of me had grown lots of Jalapenos for export last year. He shipped a lot. But I am not sure if he sold something for local market. he told me that he is going to grow this year also. But it will be available in February