Midwives for The Dominican Republic

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
YES, I AM AT IT AGAIN....BEGGING FOR THE BENEFIT OF MOTHERHOOD :)

Please think of us this holiday season when you are deciding where to contribute your hard-earned $$. We have 2 drives going on right now and can use donations for either one!

1.) Momma pack Drive - I want to make Momma packs to give to the moms once they have delivered. What I would like to include in the pack.
A onesie for the baby
A pack of baby wipes
5 diapers
A pack of maxi-pads
A receiving blanket (if possible)
A small travel-size bottle of baby wash
One pair of underwear for mom

2.) Sheet Drive - we are collecting used and new sheets. No explanation needed.

The maxi-pads and onesies that I took last week were a huge hit! And were greatly needed.
If you are in the DR, LaTeacher is collecting my donations for me in Santiago, PM her for a way to get them to her. If you are outside of the DR, you may send donations to
2106 RIVERGRASS COURT
RALEIGH, NC 27610

Of course, monetary donations are also accepted.
We are not a 501(c)3 org yet, so I'm sorry but your donations will not be tax deductible at this time. I hope that this will not deter you from donating.

Thanks,

SHALENA

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
I'm going to Cabral y Baez on Tuesday December 13 to talk to the nurses in maternity and get some stuff to the new moms - diapers and maternity pads. If anyone has anything else, let me know!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
BLINGIN' FOR BABIES!

TONIGHT IN WAKE FOREST, NC!

ALL DONATIONS TO NEW MOMS & INFANTS AT CABRAL Y BAEZ, SANTIAGO!

IN NC? STOP BY! PM ME FOR INFO!

Shalena

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
BLINGIN' FOR BABIES was a wonderful success! We received lots of donations, material and monetary and I received invitations to speak at 2 MORE churches in the area! We are picking up! Brand new beautiful baby clothes for the infants, plenty of Johnson&Johnson's Baby Wash and Lotion to stock the Nursery, we also received tons of baby wipes, socks, baby washcloths, Trial sized shampoo/conditioner and lotion for Mommas, TONS of Maxi-Pads and Women's underwear, alot of toothbrushes and toothpaste and of course, money to buy more stuff!

Also, thanks to all of the DR1 members who have PM'd me requesting info so that they can help.
I hope that I won't make people mad by stating this but I believe that good deeds should be recognized

SPECIAL RECOGNITION TO:

cacobaka who is donating 100+ Postpartum packs!!!

LaTeacher who is helping me organize everything for my return and puts our word out there while I am not in DR!!

Chirimoya who knows everybody and their grandmother for getting me contacts and meetings with people I would have NEVER gotten the chance to speak to otherwise!!!

La_profe for getting our name out there in Puerto Plata and also getting me contacts in her realm of people I would've never had a chance to meet otherwise, also for hooking me up with a GYN mission in February who I will be assisting in GYN surgery and gave me an excuse to take an extra week of off work!!

Cobraboy who has offered his services and will design our website as soon as we have enough $$$ at a SUBSTANTIAL discount!!!

Matilda who has translated our business plan for practically NOTHING!!!

Hillbilly for alwasy answering any question I have and for knowing the REAL me and respecting when I have to go the hell off up in here!!! :) (and for not being mad when I went to Santiago and didn't have time to stop by)

Lindsey Kaufman for having invaluable advice about grants and offering her assistance in that aspect!!!

Jbars for being an amazing friend...I would marry you, dude, if I married white men!!! LOL

And last but not least to all the haterz who have sent me hate PMs and dislike everything I write....I thank you most of all because I may not be in your hearts but I know I'm always on your minds!!!

Thank you so much!!!

I can practically guarantee that by 2015, PARTERAS PARA LA REPUBLICA DOMINICANA, will be a known organization among women, families, and public hospital Obstetricians/Gynecologists around the country.

Thank you for all of your help....sincerely from the bottom of my heart (YES, I have one!)

SHALENA

Last edited:

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
if you're in the DR and you have sheets that you're not using, donate them to the midwives. i was in cabral y baez the other day and met FOUR women with no sheets for their bed and no blanket for their baby!

Habichuela

Mar 26, 2011
HI there Shalena,

I really sorry to bother you but I'm thinking you might be one of the only people who can help me (being a midwife in DR).

I fell pregnant in DR and was sent for routine vaccinations that apparently all pregnant women should have if they're in DR. I went to a public hospital for this and was given a record card to keep track of the vaccinations I would be having. The first shot from a series of three was D/T/TT.
I have since returned to the UK and now need to know how this will effect any vaccines that I have done here, the problem is I don't know what D/T/TT stands for. I think D is for Diphtheria and TT is Tetanus but I'm not sure what the T is! It would be great if you knew because I can't seem to get any answers from anyone (my DR doctor wont answer his phone) and from this week they are offering a new vaccine in UK for whooping cough, I wondered if these might interfere.

Kind regards,

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
HI there Shalena,

I really sorry to bother you but I'm thinking you might be one of the only people who can help me (being a midwife in DR).

I fell pregnant in DR and was sent for routine vaccinations that apparently all pregnant women should have if they're in DR. I went to a public hospital for this and was given a record card to keep track of the vaccinations I would be having. The first shot from a series of three was D/T/TT.
I have since returned to the UK and now need to know how this will effect any vaccines that I have done here, the problem is I don't know what D/T/TT stands for. I think D is for Diphtheria and TT is Tetanus but I'm not sure what the T is! It would be great if you knew because I can't seem to get any answers from anyone (my DR doctor wont answer his phone) and from this week they are offering a new vaccine in UK for whooping cough, I wondered if these might interfere.

Kind regards,

I have sent you a PM, sorry, I am so late. Just seeing this.

SHALENA

I do not graduate from Midwifery school for another 3 years.... :)

sbsuib

Apr 13, 2006
I am not on much and missed this but one of the women traveling with me next summer is a midwife.
What can we do to help. I am sure we can ger lots of samples but what else?
Stevi

and I received invitations to speak at 2 MORE churches in the area! We are picking up! Brand new beautiful baby clothes for the infants, plenty of Johnson&Johnson's Baby Wash and Lotion to stock th

e Nursery, we also received tons of baby wipes, socks, baby washcloths, Trial sized shampoo/conditioner and lotion for Mommas, TONS of Maxi-Pads and Women's underwear, alot of toothbrushes and toothpaste and of course, money to buy more stuff!

Also, thanks to all of the DR1 members who have PM'd me requesting info so that they can help.
I hope that I won't make people mad by stating this but I believe that good deeds should be recognized

SPECIAL RECOGNITION TO:

LaTeacher who is helping me organize everything for my return and puts our word out there while I am not in DR!!

Chirimoya who knows everybody and their grandmother for getting me contacts and meetings with people I would have NEVER gotten the chance to speak to otherwise!!!

La_profe for getting our name out there in Puerto Plata and also getting me contacts in her realm of people I would've never had a chance to meet otherwise, also for hooking me up with a GYN mission in February who I will be assisting in GYN surgery and gave me an excuse to take an extra week of off work!!

Cobraboy who has offered his services and will design our website as soon as we have enough $$$ at a SUBSTANTIAL discount!!!

Hillbilly for alwasy answering any question I have and for knowing the REAL me and respecting when I have to go the hell off up in here!!! :) (and for not being mad when I went to Santiago and didn't have time to stop by)

Lindsey Kaufman for having invaluable advice about grants and offering her assistance in that aspect!!!

Jbars for being an amazing friend...I would marry you, dude, if I married white men!!! LOL

And last but not least to all the haterz who have sent me hate PMs and dislike everything I write....I thank you most of all because I may not be in your hearts but I know I'm always on your minds!!!

Thank you so much!!!

I can practically guarantee that by 2015, PARTERAS PARA LA REPUBLICA DOMINICANA, will be a known organization among women, families, and public hospital Obstetricians/Gynecologists around the country.

Thank you for all of your help....sincerely from the bottom of my heart (YES, I have one!)

SHALENA[/QUOTE]

Veteran.midwife

Oct 10, 2012
Shalena-- is there ever a need in the Dominican Republic for a volunteer to assist in the training of midwives to improve the delivery of Prenatal Care and Delivery Services to the under served? I'm a Certified Nurse-Midwife with 35 years experience in all aspects of Midwifery Care. I plan on retiring on a semi-permanent basis in the PC area as my wife and I own a condominium in Bavaro. I'm sure retirement will get tiresome at some point, and I would like to contribute my knowledge and skills to the improvement of care in the DR if possible.

E

Evgania

looking for a midwife

Shalena-- is there ever a need in the Dominican Republic for a volunteer to assist in the training of midwives to improve the delivery of Prenatal Care and Delivery Services to the under served? I'm a Certified Nurse-Midwife with 35 years experience in all aspects of Midwifery Care. I plan on retiring on a semi-permanent basis in the PC area as my wife and I own a condominium in Bavaro. I'm sure retirement will get tiresome at some point, and I would like to contribute my knowledge and skills to the improvement of care in the DR if possible.

Hi, Veteran.midwife. Thank you for your post. We just came to the DR 4 months ago, and 2 months later we
discovered that I'm pregnant. We didn't plan it, but we wanted to stay in the DR for a while to check this place for living.
We lived in Australia for the last 7 years and both my girls were born there, naturally. The last birth was at home
in water. I'm very confused here, and can't find any midwife. I was very happy to see your post, since we plan to
move to Bavaro,
if I can find somebody who could help me with my natural birth approach. I'll highly appreciate if I can contact
you anyhow and get in touch. Thanks again for your time and
help. Evgania

Min92

Aug 15, 2021
Dominican Republic
Hello, I am a new member here, for the specific reason of wanting to get in contact with Shalena. I live here in the Dominican Republic, and am in search of a midwife. If I could get contact information to talk directly with Shalena or another experienced midwife I would appreciate it.!
Thank you.!

mailgirl97

Oct 20, 2022
United States
I am not on much and missed this but one of the women traveling with me next summer is a midwife.
What can we do to help. I am sure we can ger lots of samples but what else?
Stevi

and I received invitations to speak at 2 MORE churches in the area! We are picking up! Brand new beautiful baby clothes for the infants, plenty of Johnson&Johnson's Baby Wash and Lotion to stock th

e Nursery, we also received tons of baby wipes, socks, baby washcloths, Trial sized shampoo/conditioner and lotion for Mommas, TONS of Maxi-Pads and Women's underwear, alot of toothbrushes and toothpaste and of course, money to buy more stuff!

SPECIAL RECOGNITION TO:

Thank you so much!!!

SHALENA
[/QUOTE]
Does this charity still exist?