Spanish company to build US$180M amusement park in Punta Cana

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Hope they have an inverted Roller Coaster and some carneys, "step right up and win a stuffed doggy"...
this will be a disaster.... maybe not? "Haunted House" and "cotton candy"...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
this will be a disaster.... maybe not? "Haunted House" and "cotton candy"...

Why would it be a disaster? I think this will actually go very well as there's no amusement part in The DR (nothing that good anyway). Something like a Six Flag would go very well IMO. If it was me I would have built it close to Santo Domingo to try to capture the biggest audience, but I'm sure they've done their due diligence. BTW where is the source of this news? Maybe that's the news Pichardo is going to break to us...

May 29, 2006
Forget the rides. I bet most carny foods would be a big hit. Everything deep fried and loaded with salt and sugar. Anyone for a corn dog or some funnel cakes?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Why would it be a disaster? I think this will actually go very well as there's no amusement part in The DR (nothing that good anyway). Something like a Six Flag would go very well IMO. If it was me I would have built it close to Santo Domingo to try to capture the biggest audience, but I'm sure they've done their due diligence. BTW where is the source of this news? Maybe that's the news Pichardo is going to break to us...

Nope!

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010

its going to be in cabezo de toro area... ya id go... its for tourists obviously.... I can just see the tour promoters with the brochures, "ride the loop to loop coaster"...

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
I loooooove a good amusement park! This could be fun....only I imagine being pitched upside down, mid-air, when suddenly: "Oooops, se fue la luz!" :) Yikes whahyahhaha

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
~No details of time frame announced for the start of the project, sounds like its in its infancy stages....with the new highways coming and near completion this should bring others to the East Coast from SDQ and other areas.....could be a good thing....or a very expensive nightmare for "Extreme"!!! Time will tell.....

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
its going to be in cabezo de toro area... ya id go... its for tourists obviously.... I can just see the tour promoters with the brochures, "ride the loop to loop coaster"...

IMO it would be better for Dominicans (Between Santo Domingo and Santiago would be perfect IMO) as most tourists don't go to The DR to go to an amusement park. Anyone coming from Canada, US and Europe will have better choices back home. No way anyone from the Midwest will go there if you're used to going to Cedar Point.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Is that the project under construction on the Boulevard near Cabeza de Toro? Remember there's also the abandoned aquapark near Friusa (confiscated from fraudsters).

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
This amusement park is going to have an indoor skating and skiing ring, and a wave swimming pool, for surfers

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
I can see wanting indoor coconut and banana trees in Canada but cannot see wanting ice and snow in the DR. Would that promote tourism northward or would that make it the reason the snow birds come down here. Ice here should be used properly and for those pineapple drinks and smoothies.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
can someone please move this snow mountain to the clown bin before I get cold again?

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I can see wanting indoor coconut and banana trees in Canada but cannot see wanting ice and snow in the DR. Would that promote tourism northward or would that make it the reason the snow birds come down here. Ice here should be used properly and for those pineapple drinks and smoothies.

Id be packing my K2's with my golf Clubs, it would be a confusing vacation.. mmmm Hot Chocolate

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Yes its going to have a skating rink. Im bringing my Hockey gear. Punta Cana Maple Leafs.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
95% of the population could never afford it EVER

Wow! That's certainly an improvement! Before the assurances would be 99%!

And that's accounting (your 95%) for the other left 5% made up of a 3.9% that does the actual buying at Malls and high end stores (which is made up of all the expats and tourists that come into the DR!). The 1% that can afford anything in the DR is actually those born to foreigners (not Haitians btw) and/or whom got the DR citizenship here..

The other 0.1% are those Elite native Dominicans that can afford to buy anything here!

No small wonder all you see in the DR Malls, stores, etc.. are the faces of foreigners being waited by "Dominicans" (which is the only way they can be present in those places in the first place)...

Last edited:

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
I hope it has a Large Down Hill Ski Hill with a Chair Lift like Dubai. Dayim...

Don't really know if is going to have a chair lift like that of Dubai's, newspaper didn't say anything about a chair lift. Nevertheless, I'm guessing that if someone is going to spend $US180 million on building such amusement park, I'm sure they will reach the conclusion on whether it needs a chair lift or not.