Suggestions for more 'quality' traffic to our website?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
Before I post my question, I wanted to let you guys (and gals) know that I appreciate all the help I've received with regards to our website.

So here's my question...

As you may already know, we have a free classifieds site in the DR. It's essentially a Dominican craigslist. We've advertised with facebook, google, minivallas, so we've been successful with free ads and our fanpage has over 15K fans

But our main goal now is pushing our free ad upgrade. It's essentially the same process, but if the user wants to upgrade, they just click on the type of upgrade they want, and they can pay at the end with credit card, paypal, bank account. The payment process is automated. Costs start at RD$30 to upgrade their ad. The highest cost is RD$400 to display your ad in the front page.

My question is: What can we do to motivate users to upgrade their ad? We've tried everything, but people don't seem to take to ad upgrades. We even had a promotion where we would give away tickets to the Britney Spears concert, but nothing.

Could it be that Dominicans aren't used to payment processing? Or maybe they don't see the purpose of upgrading their ad?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jan 9, 2004
Before I post my question, I wanted to let you guys (and gals) know that I appreciate all the help I've received with regards to our website.

So here's my question...

As you may already know, we have a free classifieds site in the DR. It's essentially a Dominican craigslist. We've advertised with facebook, google, minivallas, so we've been successful with free ads and our fanpage has over 15K fans

But our main goal now is pushing our free ad upgrade. It's essentially the same process, but if the user wants to upgrade, they just click on the type of upgrade they want, and they can pay at the end with credit card, paypal, bank account. The payment process is automated. Costs start at RD$30 to upgrade their ad. The highest cost is RD$400 to display your ad in the front page.

My question is: What can we do to motivate users to upgrade their ad? We've tried everything, but people don't seem to take to ad upgrades. We even had a promotion where we would give away tickets to the Britney Spears concert, but nothing.

Could it be that Dominicans aren't used to payment processing? Or maybe they don't see the purpose of upgrading their ad?

While I am not an internet guru, I am an internet shopper. The one glaring problem I see is that you have offered a "free ad upgrade" and while I now understand that the free ad and upgrade are different....your use of the terms together and then telling them there is a charge is confusing and may very well be pereceived as just another internet scam.

Additionally, there may be issues beyond that...but that is the one issue I think that would stop the users of your service....dead in their tracks.

Perhaps you could do a better explanation that the initial ad is free, but recommended upgrades are as follows.....with a price list of additional services.

That's basically how e-bay does it.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
While I am not an internet guru, I am an internet shopper. The one glaring problem I see is that you have offered a "free ad upgrade" and while I now understand that the free ad and upgrade are different....your use of the terms together and then telling them there is a charge is confusing and may very well be pereceived as just another internet scam.

Additionally, there may be issues beyond that...but that is the one issue I think that would stop the users of your service....dead in their tracks.

Perhaps you could do a better explanation that the initial ad is free, but recommended upgrades are as follows.....with a price list of additional services.

That's basically how e-bay does it.

That is excellent advice. If I were offered a "free ad upgrade", then presented with a bill, I would look elsewhere myself.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

So here's my question...

Why are you posting these questions here?

The internet is full of excellent forums dedicated to internet marketing, a few I like below.
You will get a ton of great advice from people that actively market all sorts of websites.

WarriorForum - Internet Marketing Forums
WebmasterWorld News and Discussion for the Web Professional
Black Hat SEO Forum

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.