Lost Canadian Passport, Birth Certificate...

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
Ah the luck I've had, lemme tell you! :(

I've lost my Canadian Passport...and have read that in order to apply in SD for a new one, I must show my birth certificate which I don't have here in the country. Can anyone tell me whether a new BC can be sent here or any easier ways of getting this done? With all the terrible luck I've had here in the past few months I am contemplating returning home to Ottawa in January (ya, it's that bad!) and now...no passport to get out with!

Please if anyone can help with their own stories/advice...I'll be forever grateful :)

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Ah the luck I've had, lemme tell you! :(

I've lost my Canadian Passport...and have read that in order to apply in SD for a new one, I must show my birth certificate which I don't have here in the country. Can anyone tell me whether a new BC can be sent here or any easier ways of getting this done? With all the terrible luck I've had here in the past few months I am contemplating returning home to Ottawa in January (ya, it's that bad!) and now...no passport to get out with!

Please if anyone can help with their own stories/advice...I'll be forever grateful :)

Oh no, I used to think of you as the most positive poster on DR1, it was refreshing. You almost sold me on vacationing in Cabrera, you can't leave :)

Good luck !

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
First and foremost, contact the Canadian embassy in Santo Domingo or the consulate in Puerto Plata.

Contact information and addresses are found at:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/dominican_republic-republique_dominicaine/contact-contactez.aspx?view=d

On their website, they list the following information:

What should I do if my passport is lost or stolen while I am abroad?

Report the loss or theft to the local police and obtain a written police report. Then notify the nearest Canadian government office abroad and apply for a replacement passport. In addition to a police report, you will need to submit:

?a completed passport application form (available at any Canadian government office abroad);
?two passport-size photos;
?the required passport fee;
?documentary proof of Canadian citizenship (your birth or citizenship certificate); and
?a Statutory Declaration concerning a Lost, Stolen, Inaccessible, or Destroyed Canadian Passport or Travel Document (available at any Canadian government office abroad).

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
Don't drink and carry your passport at the same time... This is what I always say to tourists!

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
Thanks for all the help, guys! I also contacted the Consulate and good to know there are other options (a 2 year pport if I apply without a birth certificate)...!

It's not too expensive, either, so all good stuff to know! @Africaida, the show's not over yet...I hope that things will start looking up work-wise...I'm good til February at which point I'll have to make the decision to stay or to go :( I hope you'll all make a DR1 Reunion here soon! :D

Thanks gang...I'm so grateful, as always, to my DR1 community for the help...you guys son los mejores ;) xoxo!

nakom

Jan 26, 2011
Just a tip for other that may read this. Take a color photo copy of your passport and carry it with you in your wallet. Leave the original in your home safe or your safety deposit box at the bank.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
I went to the embassy and received all forms and supposedly all the instructions. I had a simple passport renewal to be processed. They told me that I had to apply online for my original birth certificate and that this was possible. I had complications there and decided to go with the two year one with only a copy of my birth certificate ( I had that) and I followed all their instructions with guarantor and photos and other ID etc. When I arrived there for the submission of documents they told me I now had to have evidence of a flight itinerary back to Canada. I explained I had not immediate plans to return and that was why i was doing my renewal now here. They said that was not good enough and I needed the ticket as a way of proving I had to get my renewal here. How stupid is that?. They informed me that I could always buy a ticket and then change the return date. How stupid would that be to validate my reason I needed to apply here? I even talked to the Consul and they said it was unbendable rules. Oh yah.

On a second note, while there I was totally uncomfortable that the embassy in now located in a high rise office tower. Somehow my childhood impression of jumping the fence to get to canadian soil in the event of civil disruption and being protected by my government all went out the window. When the dream went out the window it was a long way down and no one could get to the embassy unless the dominican security allowed you up an elevator. Does anyone else find it strange to have an embassy without the privilege of some protected soil?

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
I am a US Citizen and never have carried my passport around in DR! My US driver license is more than enough for any cop to see! But I have family in DR and I don't blame you if you do not trust the hotel safe lol

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
@ Gordon, yikes! What a mess...I'm sorry you went through all that. And I will be taking a colour-copy around from here on out...and the pport has been FOUND (gracias a Dios!) but I've learned a lesson. It was when I opened my DR bank account (a whooooole other story, that one, gosh!) :D

You guys are awesome, thanks so much...and now I have another question to post...yes, I'm relentless today ;)

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
I went to the embassy and received all forms and supposedly all the instructions. I had a simple passport renewal to be processed. They told me that I had to apply online for my original birth certificate and that this was possible. I had complications there and decided to go with the two year one with only a copy of my birth certificate ( I had that) and I followed all their instructions with guarantor and photos and other ID etc. When I arrived there for the submission of documents they told me I now had to have evidence of a flight itinerary back to Canada. I explained I had not immediate plans to return and that was why i was doing my renewal now here. They said that was not good enough and I needed the ticket as a way of proving I had to get my renewal here. How stupid is that?. They informed me that I could always buy a ticket and then change the return date. How stupid would that be to validate my reason I needed to apply here? I even talked to the Consul and they said it was unbendable rules. Oh yah.

On a second note, while there I was totally uncomfortable that the embassy in now located in a high rise office tower. Somehow my childhood impression of jumping the fence to get to canadian soil in the event of civil disruption and being protected by my government all went out the window. When the dream went out the window it was a long way down and no one could get to the embassy unless the dominican security allowed you up an elevator. Does anyone else find it strange to have an embassy without the privilege of some protected soil?
You guys like to drink many Presidentes:cool: