Motorcycles with no lights at night!!!

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
Why are there so many motorcycles in DR running at night with no lights??? Usually the driver has enough money to drink rum and frias but never has money to repair his motorcycle...

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Why are there so many motorcycles in DR running at night with no lights??? Usually the driver has enough money to drink rum and frias but never has money to repair his motorcycle...

It's those damned illegals nothing is sacred with them.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
But you keep posting inane crap complaining about stuff that anybody who actually lived here for 5 minutes would ignore. A bit like a small toddler with a bad attitude, just trying to get a reaction.

I mean really, illegals keeping you awake at night and motos without lights???
Next you will be posting new revelations that the traffic here does not behave quite how it should.
Get a life.
Or alternatively carry on like a twat on this board until you get yourself all riled up and then banned like a hundred small minded bigoted posters before you.

Swill.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I'm surprised he is not complaining that there's "long blackouts in the DR and nobody seem to care..."

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005

Done to death. 57 post this month. you will pass me by x-mass. Turning into a seriel poster.

One question: are you dominican?

Originally posted by xwill:
Also, not all Dominicans are "brown" like you say... We come in all shapes and colors

Or are you a Western Union novio from Sosua that fell in love with a puta from Santiago. Spent a week at the Colonial Hotel and now wants to impress with your Santiago skills. Where is your La Passions novia from. Los Reyes is my guess.

I will stick with my bella Cibaena! Gringas? lol alot of pork chops here in usa hahahaha

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There are three primary reasons for it, all different:

1) No $$$ for repairs, even if an allocation of resources issue.

2) The misconception that runnning lights uses gas since the stator is charged during operation and adds drag to the motor, the same reason they shut off their motor going downhill.

3) I heard a radio show just this week, Huchi Lora I recall, talking about how bandits attack motos at night, and many turn their lights to avoid being seen.

They are a definite hazard, another reason to avoid driving at night if possible.

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
Motorcyclists without lights at night, they're on a "Death Wish" plain and simple!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
If you are in your vehicle and hit them because you did not see, don't stop. You will be blamed for their neglect. So, as Cobraboy advises, avoid driving at night.

Regards,

PJT

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
That's a biggie. I've seen guys buy brand new bikes, and the first thing they do is take the lights off, because "it runs better and saves gas"
They take off the mirrors also.

Sheer genius.

In a sport where being seen is survival, they want to go stealth.

And one wonders why moto accidents are the #1 cause of death and injury to Dominican males under 25??????

I wrote before about driving back to Jarabacoa from Santiago on the autopista one Sunday evening, pitch dark, in a good rain. The road was fairly empty and we were crawling along at 35mph, a not-overly fast pace for the conditions, in the left lane. Suddenly it dawned on me I was about to run over a pasola going maybe 5-10mph. Black 50cc Pasola, maybe a Jog. Three people on it, all wearing black shirts and dark/wet jeans. No lights. No helmet. Nothing reflective. In the middle of the lane. Totally unaware of me being there. That's the closest i've come to killing 3 Dominicans.

diable410

Sep 14, 2011
Done to death. 57 post this month. you will pass me by x-mass. Turning into a seriel poster.

One question: are you dominican?

Also, not all Dominicans are "brown" like you say... We come in all shapes and colors

Or are you a Western Union novio from Sosua that fell in love with a puta from Santiago. Spent a week at the Colonial Hotel and now wants to impress with your Santiago skills. Where is your La Passions novia from. Los Reyes is my guess.

I will stick with my bella Cibaena! Gringas? lol alot of pork chops here in usa hahahaha

Answer the question xwill7 :D :D :D

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
That's a biggie. I've seen guys buy brand new bikes, and the first thing they do is take the lights off, because "it runs better and saves gas"

hahaha saves gas? How much gas can these guys really save? lol

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
They take off the mirrors also.

Sheer genius.

In a sport where being seen is survival, they want to go stealth.

And one wonders why moto accidents are the #1 cause of death and injury to Dominican males under 25??????

I wrote before about driving back to Jarabacoa from Santiago on the autopista one Sunday evening, pitch dark, in a good rain. The road was fairly empty and we were crawling along at 35mph, a not-overly fast pace for the conditions, in the left lane. Suddenly it dawned on me I was about to run over a pasola going maybe 5-10mph. Black 50cc Pasola, maybe a Jog. Three people on it, all wearing black shirts and dark/wet jeans. No lights. No helmet. Nothing reflective. In the middle of the lane. Totally unaware of me being there. That's the closest i've come to killing 3 Dominicans.

Wow! I bet they would have blamed you... I think that people need motorcycle saftey classes. There are too many crazy motorcycles down there

donP

Dec 14, 2008
La culpa tienes t?.

Totally unaware of me being there.

Unaware?
I see it differently.
When a Dominican gets on the road others simply do not exist.
Should you dare to take part in the traffic near him/her you have to deal with the consequences.

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
That's the closest i've come to killing 3 Dominicans.

weakling. i regularily come close to killing large number of dominicans. every day, actually. clients, moto drivers, owners of crippled animals, choir in a neighbouring church (i think up elaborate plots to kill those), other drivers, pedestrians, people who try to cheat me, get in the queue, other people who talk rubbish, those who smell, those who play loud music, have stinky breath... the list goes on and on....
as far as those halfwits with no lights: i never even notice them. often quite literary. i acknowledge their presence on the road and successfully avoid hitting them but when our visitors shout "did you see THAT?!" i hardly know what they are on about. what? no lights? and what's so strange about it, eh? ;)

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
If you've ever seen the tabloid graphic fotos on "Detras del Rumor", you'll clearly see the consequences. It's ugly.
Can only be taken in small doses. Moto drivers are killed and maimed here like ants. Hope none of you are ever victims of the same, as it is quite traumatic for all parties. It can also be very expensive $$. I too try not to drive at night.