Thread: Food!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Food!

Someone knows where can I buy frozen pie crust here in Santo Domingo... I'm trying to make a dutch pumpkin apple pie and I can't find crust any where and I don't really feel like making it from scratch. Thanks a lot!

2. Likes Expat-in-Cabarete liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Ely, PJT has to laugh, finding frozen pie crust in the DR is like finding a honest politician, next to impossible. Me thinks because of the holiday season there may be a few markets that may offer the commodity as a special. However, PJT has no clue where. Some posters may have some inside information. Posters in the know, help the Newbie.

Good luck !!

Regards,

PJT

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen pie crust mixes in bags, Betty Crocker or something, in La Sirena and Supermercado Nacional...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The Betty Crocker pie crust mix is easy to use, just add water. Made 2 pumpkin and 1 apple using the crust and people raved about it. La Sirena (sometimes). Tropical, and City Market is where we found it.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

ummm... why not just flour, butter, and a little water???? there is a reason for the expression, "easy as pie".

7. Likes Castellamonte liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, now all I can think of is pie now after being comfortable eating plantain and beans and rice over the last year.

Fortunately I will see my mom in a couple of weeks so all I have to do is decided what type of pie do I want with my graham cracker pie crust. Hmm, lemon meringue, chocolate, cherry, apple, all of the above.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Pie crust for a fruit pie is 'simple as pie' as CaptnGlenn says....

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons white sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons milk

Mix it all together real good (it will get doughy). Put it in the pie pan. Push it down with a fork and up the sides as well. Poke holes in the bottom with a fork. You are done.

This is the easiest 'sweet' crust I know. You don't even have to roll it. Just make sure it's not too thick on the bottom. Thinner is better all around.

I have other recipes for 'regular' pie crust but I've found you need to roll them. But this one is dead simple.

10. Likes Matilda, wuarhat liked this post