Bonao

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
I go to the DR january and will be travelling a bit... I was going to go east to Punta Cana but I have been persuaded that going west may be better... many poeple in New York I seem to meet come from Bonao and tell me it is lovely there.... any ideas? anyone got any ideas on what to do there and if it is good option to spend few days there?

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
My then fiance and I stayed in Bonao for a night at Rancho Wendy which is on the outskirts of town. Hope to go again as it is a beautiful place and the folks at Ranco Wendy were great. BUT, we were tipped off by the woman running the tienda across the street, whom my fiance befriended, that we were being targeted by robbers and to take great care with our security that night. My fiance (who lives in SD), has a real knack for making friends, evidently created enough of a relationship with this woman, that she took a bit of pity on my novia and her (try as I might to blend jajaj), Gringo.
There were no other transients that night up at the ranch, so we felt a bit isolated. We ended up leaving after one night and spent the rest of the weekend in the capitol as we had other matters to attend to as it turned out anyway.
That said I hope to learn more about the area speaking to others with experience there.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Listen, I'm a Bonao expert. it's a bold statment, i know, so bare with me for a minute. Stay away from Bonao from January 1st to December 31st. it rains, it pours, it comes down sideways in sheets so thick that you cannot see your hand or wallet. And just when you think the sun is going to make an appearance, it rains and pours some more. i'm not kidding. Bonao sits in a valley, surrounded by ominous dark clouds of acid rain that makes Lord of the Rings novels seem like utopia in comparison. I sat in Bonao from June 1st 1978 until September 14th 1980 without seeing the sun more than two or three times, and even then, it came out just long enough to allow one to get a good gander at the rushing, torrential rivers outside our front door. In front of our house i saw a river 6 feet high go rushing by with cattle, outhouses, chicken shacks, cars, motoconchos, fruit stands, and corregated tin roofs with people surfing atop of them...heading to work. i'm not kidding.

If you want to see a non-stop onslaught of torrential downpours then by all means, go to Bonao. If you want to spend your afternoons surfing streets filled in a five-feet diluge of street trash and 6-foot waves breaking 50 yards out, then by all means go to Bonao. if you want to see dark ominous clouds, so thick that sunlight cannot even begin to penetrate them, then by all means, go to Bonao. if you want to see chickens, horses, prostitutes and cattle surfing down the street, taking shortcuts to nearby farms and brothels, then by all means, go to Bonao.

However, if its sunshine, bikinis, and Pina Colodas served out of pineapples and coconuts that you are looking for, then do yourself a favor and head for the North Coast--Cabarete, Cabrera, Las Terrenas, etc. and sit on the beach and watch cirrus clouds wisp like whip cream above your head as you sip local rum out of pineapples.

Frank

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Frank,You should really be restricted to posting in the clown bin amigo.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Believe it or not, some folks actually come here for information and not your comedy act!

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Tamborista,

I understand your concern. But i just spent last week in Bonao with my family, and it rained every single day, just as its raining right now in Bonao. I lived there off and on from 1964 to 2006, so, i understand your concern but, again, to reiterate, its raining in Bonao as we speak, and will continue to rain.

If you just had a few days of vacation and you were coming to this island, wouldn't you want to spend it in the sun and on the beach?

Frank

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Yeah, I clicked "Like" on your post Tamborista, twice--both of them. i started thinking about what you said, you're right...it never rains in Bonao, I don't know what i was thinking? It would make a lovely vacation for someone who only has a fews days away from the cold Janaury winter.

I apologize, sincerely!

Frank

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
Bonao is great! Stay a few fays and the head north to Santiago! Live music every night!!!