Is there racism in the DR, and if so, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
To the mods, I posted it here, as I felt it is important everybody can participate.

First of all, what is the official definition of racism? According to the Webster dictionary it is the following:

- a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

- racial prejudice or discrimination

The second question is. What causes racism?

The third question is. What makes one a racist?

So, to get back to my question in the title. Yes, according to me, there is racism in the DR, and on multiple levels.

According to me, racism in the modern world, is primarily caused by insecurity. People who do not feel themselves secure in their jobs, the area they live in, or are weak of character, have a tendency to show racist traits.

As far as the DR is concerned, this is easily translated:

- racism by Dominicans towards Haitians. The economy is real bad, and a lot of Dominicans are out of jobs. They feel that Haitians are stealing their jobs, or are willing to work for less.
- racism by rich Dominicans towards poorer Dominicans. This is especially true with the "nouveau riche" Dominicans, who feel themselves far superior over their poorer countrymen. "I managed to get up in society (read bank account), so maybe they will take my place". In defense of the older rich Dominican families I have to say I have always seen that they treated their employees with respect. They have nothing to fear.
- racism by expats towards the locals. Not by all of us, of course. But certainly a number of expats feel themselves far superior.

Let me explain the last point.

- Some expats come here with a lot of dough, wanting or having to live in the DR, but damn those locals. If it was up to them, they should be deported.
- Other expats come here, find themselves a woman or a man, and as they have the dough, they have the power.
- Some expat men come here to find themselves a woman, because they could not find one in their own country who would obey their every command. Because of the culture they think they found it here. They are wrong, but hey...
- etc...

All of the above are racists. This is not an exclusivity of the DR, this goes on all over the world.

Luckily enough, these are the exceptions.

My personal view. I come from a country where the ultra right parties are very strong. In my country there is a lot of hatred, and there are a lot of racists towards Moroccans. I have, and always will judge someone by his character. I do not care about color, race, origin or belief.

I only care about the person and his character!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I thought the same thing... But there are some people in DR that think that they are hot stuff because they have a blackberry

I used to have one, but I called it my crapberry. I now have the cheapest phone orange could sell me. It works perfectly.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
As I said, I judge people by their character, their personality, and their behavior. Origin, race, color, nationality do not come into this judgment.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
...the question of the ages. One that ultimately cannot be answered. Never goes well.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Before this thread gets TOTALLY out of hand, a little racial logic from Mr Archie Bunker......

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iQfASpUYKSU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(Should be able to see the vid after about 5 seconds)

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
The only racism I've come across here apart from the much discussed Dominican/Haitian one is the way some Dominicans put the prices up when they see white skin.

Jan 3, 2003
We've discussed it before and it always ends badly. Not sure if it's an allowed discussion. Here's a thread to get you started.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/general-stuff/87100-dominicans-racism.html

I don't think it will get out of control. Former racists like myself have change their tune. Even a DR1 old timer like Golo accepts the Haitian presence as a necessity. FACTS are FACTS. The Haitians will do the types of jobs that Dominicans will not do at any price.

EXAMPLE-In La Culata near Constanza the richest man there pays Haitians 10,000 PESOS a month to plant and harvest cold climate crops (onions, carrots, potatoes, bainita etc). In neighboring Constanza, the local Dominican population would rather wait for the 3,000 pesos they get from their family in Nueva Yol.

I tell them 10,000 is more than 3,000. In other words, they'd be getting 13,000 TOTAL. You think they'd jump at the offer. No way Jose. As a result, the local Haitian population is moving ahead of all of them materially speaking. They've bought brand new motor bikes, rocking the gold chains, etc. Others are very thrifty, are dressing in rags but are building palaces and opening businesses in Haiti.

So the Haitians are an economic necessity in the DR. I once scoffed at Golo's assertion that one day soon there will be a Haitian president in the DR. I no longer do such a thing. They are not only growing numerically within the DR but also financially.

The DR elite really doesn't care as they are the beneficiaries of cheap Haitian labor. The politicians need the Haitians right where they are so they can continue getting IMF aid and all the freebies that come with treating the displaced humanely. In fact, they need a greater Haitian presence within the DR to assuage any international critics as it relates to treatment.

It is no longer a parasitic relationship but a mutually beneficial symbiotic one. Expect Haitian-Dominican intermarriages to explode in the near future. Expect Creole to be spoken in all gov't offices everywhere right alongside Spanish.

I've been told they are going to recruit professionally degreed Haitian nationals within the DR who are fluent in both languages. A special governmental department will be opened up within the DR to deal with the massive numbers of Haitians enabling Dominican immigration and their naturalization according to the RULE of LAW. It will be sort of Bureau of Haitian Affairs as a mandatory agency within the Dominican governmental structure per intl. monitoring bodies. It is the wave of the future. Trujillo died a long time ago and with his death, little by little so did his ideas.

The only racists left are those sitting in rocking chairs talking about the good ole days and the occasional sly remark directed at some smelly Haitian farmhand who doesn't use deodorant. That's it. It is dead politically because of all the money the politicians get internationally. It is dead economically because the Dominican elite benefit greatly from strong workers who work very cheap. It is dead legally because European human rights courts have sided with the poor Haitian populace.

As Dominicans come to terms with their African past and biological make-up, they are coming to the realization that the Haitians are an indivisible part of their existence. Each passing year will only increase this resolve. It's basically over Jack.

And those that can't deal with that, leave as we did. I once told myself I would never return like Ramfis Trujillo said and did but I, as well as my family, have returned numerous times. It's not such a bad thing having the Haitians there. Someones gotta do the work, LOL!! And as for Dominican complaints regarding work, they'll always do as they've always done, "de a poquito."

Last edited:

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
Just weeks ago i made a trip to kenya and i could see the treatment of arab descent folk across most countries. It's assumed that all arabs are terrorists and they are more prone to unfair security check-ups e.t.c. In Kenya folk of somali descent get associated with al shaabab and the locals feel & act more superior. On the other hand the somalis being more light-skinned are well known for racism. Going further south, the black south africans don't cope very well with blacks from other african countries. And at the same time, accuse the white south africans of the present-day apartheid/ discrimination/ racism e.t.c. But like the OP put it.. it's all about the character. It's nothing to do with religion, skin color (shades/ tones), class.

PS: The new richtext area inputbox is a little complicated and slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.