Brown sugar?

dreamflower

Mar 10, 2011
Hi! I was in DR a few months ago for about 2 months and now I'm back! I love all the holiday decorations at stores, etc. and now I want my house to get into the Christmas spirit, too!

I want to do some Holiday baking! I have this great recipe I want to share with the people I am living with, but the recipe calls for brown sugar. I've glanced in the stores here, and can only remember ever seeing Azucar Crema. Is this the same as brown sugar used for baking? Someone told me it was unrefined sugar. Is that the same as brown sugar? Someone help! :)

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
brown sugar is just refined granulated white sugar with molasses added back to it. seems you can do it yourself if need be.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
All the supermarkets and most of the tiendas here in LT sell brown sugar they call it "azucar negro".

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Its not available in Playero but I know the Belgian baker has brown sugar.

Anyways, its indeed simple to make your own brown sugar.

1 cup organic cane sugar
1 Tspn organic unsulphured molasses

Blend both ingredients together with fork until well mixed.
Store in airtight container until ready to use.

Acira

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Its not available in Playero but I know the Belgian baker has brown sugar.

Anyways, its indeed simple to make your own brown sugar.

1 cup organic cane sugar
1 Tspn organic unsulphured molasses

Blend both ingredients together with fork until well mixed.
Store in airtight container until ready to use.

Acira

Sure it's available in Playero. It's next to the bagged white sugar last aisle on your left in the rice aisle. I buy it all the time.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
that is the azucar crema, not the dark brown sugar

Works fine for baking in my kitchen whenever the recipe calls for brown sugar. IE: fudge, buttertarts and any other baking.

I'm not familiar with the other darker sugar.

May 29, 2006
I've tried the adding molasses to white sugar trick and it didn't work out that well. I think most of the molasses in the DR is converted into rum.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I did the recipe, it looks like azugar crema but the taste comes near to brown sugar so I will have a go with it for some baking and see what it gives in taste.