Need Advice For Feb Trip to punta cana two guys one is celebrating his 60th

highmarket

Jun 5, 2008
Maybe you locals can help me- Am planning a trip in Feb- can't understand by the maps the difference between Punta Cana and Bavarro? Are the areas fairly close together? Also I would like to play golf three days, and would like to have the hotel fairly accessible to the courses ( no longer than 15 or 20 minute ride) I have a timeshare to exchange, and saw their is reciprocity with some of the Melia Resorts, Solmelia paradisius however there are mixed review as to the quality of the property. It seems like hard rock gets decent reviews, what would your opinion be of the location? We want a place that's fun and not too stuffy. The other option is, should we just rent a house or condo on the beach although the initial thought was that it would be too isolated since this is a first time visit to Punta Cana Thanks in advance for the help and recomendations.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
The terms "Punta Cana" and "Bavaro" are used in several ways. There are specific places, and also they're used to describe the general area. In the tourist trade, basically it covers the east coast from just south of the furthest eastern point, for a distance north/northwest. There are numerous Resorts along the coast/beach, and a number of rental condos and villas centered around the Cortecito / Los Coralles area... more like a neighborhood. If you go to Google maps and zoom in, you'll get a good bird's eye view... and some of the photos in the satellite mode are very high resolution. (I can see my condo unit.) As for golf, there are several courses, but I'm not a golfer anymore, and can't comment on the quality of the various courses, but I hear some are nice. I have no info on timeshare exchanges, but I'd be skeptical about them being honored. Although it's a bit self defeating, (since I mostly advocate development of the area's small businesses, condos, etc.), being your first visit with no previous experience there, I'd probably recommend staying at an A.I. It will be easier and more carefree, then you can take some time and venture out of the A.I. to explore the area a little at a time. Yes.. I know my fellow DR1'ers are cringing and angry at me right now. LOL

Maria P

Dec 1, 2011
A good overview Bavaro/Punta Cana you will find on the map “ www.guidepuntacana.com” starts with Cap Cana and the hotel Secrets Sanctury – Tortuga Bay, exclusive & expensive really the finest beach you can find in the east area ( but not so much fun for 2 guys). <o:p></o:p>
Punta Cana is for me the environment next to the airport, followed by the area Cabeza de Torro (starts at Catalonia Hotel).<o:p></o:p>
The hotel area Bavaro starts at Hotel Barcelo, where you find the AI hotels like pearls on a chain, side by side. <o:p></o:p>
The names of the hotel facilities are pretty confusing here. Some of the ”creative heads” invented to call the left part of one hotel Punta Cana and the right part Bavaro.<o:p></o:p>
The Paradisus Palma Real (Bavaro area) is a new and nice hotel with good Service and AI, the golf course is on the other side of the road in less than 5 minute distance. <o:p></o:p>
Paradisus Punta Cana (also Bavaro) is an older Melia Hotel but still quit good. Taxi to the next Golf Cours about 10 min. <o:p></o:p>
Personally I like the Iberostar Grand (Bavaro), very good modern Hotel and AI, even with its own golf course (but many couples).

The Hard Rock (a little outside Bavaro) is spectacular,modern and fun, but not really caribbean style. The golf course directly in front of the hotel. The hotel is the biggest in the area. The Ocean is wild- sometimes undercurrent, but there are a lot of pools and the beach is quite spacy - you will find the next hotels in 0.5 miles. <o:p></o:p>

Condo or AI, depends how long you want to stay and also if you are looking for “ladys”.<o:p></o:p>

yves bavaro

Dec 10, 2011
melia hotels have there golfcourt en cocotal ,barcelo palace de luxe allso has there own golfcourt
iberostar hotels allso , all this hotels are en bavaro
you allso can rent a condo ,i live en villas del sol en bavaro ,we are close to diferent golfcourts
and everything you need to have a great vacacion
greatings yves

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
For me, Iberostar and Ocean Blue & Sand are terrific A.I. with good rates. Also been to Catalonia (not bad), Bahia Principe (good but BIG), Grand Paradise (never going back there) and Club Med (lots of kids, not what I'd recommend for you).

Golf course-wise, you've got more than enough choices in the area for your stay. I've been told that Cocotal (Bavaro) is a bit below standard right now due to lack of good maintenance but has always been a solid, less expensive option, although not oceanfront (they have 27 holes). Iberostar (inland - Bavaro) opened about 2 years ago if I'm not mistaken and people enjoy playing it. A good double deal if you're willing to spend a bit more than a few bucks are La Cana (soon to go from 18 to 27 holes) and Corales (Tom Fazio design, caddies mandatory). Both are oceanfront (Punta Cana) and in terrific conditions. Punta Espada (ocean front - Punta Cana) is another solid course although I don't know what condition it's in right now after they opened it up somewhat to the local public over the summer. Roco Ki I believe is still closed, someone correct me please if I'm wrong, and as a lower budget course in Bavaro you also have Punta Blanca (inland - Bavaro). They're all more or less in a 30km area so don't worry about distance, choose the one that's most appealing to you. I would also recommend you contact one of the golf DMC's in the area. They'll be able to give you their recommendations and package in transportation with the green fees. Just to mention a few, you've got Caribbean Golf & Tours, Palmera Travel and Go Golf. If you're looking at playing 2 or 3 rounds, bring your own if that's an option. Rentals normally go for US$40 up + balls.