Total Disappointment in my Door Sweep Purchase at Home Depot..Sheesh!

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Well long story short, I'm moving into new apartment in a few weeks in PC. Im now back in Canada and have started packing my 3 suitcases each 29x20X12 and allowed 70 pounds for each.. I bought 2 amazing "door sweeps" this morning 36", and no they don't fit into the suitcase even on an angle. What was I thinking?
The two sweeps are "STAINLESS STEEL" with a great strong bristle on the bottom. I bought two just in case one "rusts", after all they are made in China and sometimes stainless steel from China still rusts(had that happen with cutlery). I would have bought one that "bends" , didn't see one at HD... Someone mentioned in my other thread, they fit into their suitcase, so I didn't bother measureing, maybe its a 32" door?
Diagonal a 29" suitcase will fit 33" "door sweep"..

Sohrab

Oct 1, 2010
Buy a 3” PVC drain pipe. They come in 8’ length. Cut it in half (4’). Put the sweeps is in the pipe and cap the ends.
Have a nice trip!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you don't want to cut them, send them here. They shouldn't weight much so shipping should not be a big item.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I bought the same thing for my ranch house to keep out the critters crawling under the doors. They work great!

I had to bend mine (slightly) in a large suitcase. It won't fit straight but you can slightly bend those and fix them when they are here. I did this and straightened them out, nailed them up and they work nicely.

Or, as another post recommended, simply cut them in half with tin snips. This might actually be a better idea depending upon your floor. I have a concrete poured floor but in the Dominican fashion it isn't exactly level per the bottom of the door. So I had to adjust mine a tad to compensate and having them cut in half could have made that easier.

But they are great. And the best news?? They keep out the blowing snow as well!!! :cheeky:

Yachtmaster

Jul 2, 2007
www.genesisbvi.com
I would try carrying them on inside the plane. Most airplanes have a closet just to your right as you enter the aircraft for such things, near where the crew greets you. Stick em in the closet on your way in and retrieve em on your way out. Simple really.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Well long story short, I'm moving into new apartment in a few weeks in PC. Im now back in Canada and have started packing my 3 suitcases each 29x20X12 and allowed 70 pounds for each.. I bought 2 amazing "door sweeps" this morning 36", and no they don't fit into the suitcase even on an angle. What was I thinking?
The two sweeps are "STAINLESS STEEL" with a great strong bristle on the bottom. I bought two just in case one "rusts", after all they are made in China and sometimes stainless steel from China still rusts(had that happen with cutlery). I would have bought one that "bends" , didn't see one at HD... Someone mentioned in my other thread, they fit into their suitcase, so I didn't bother measureing, maybe its a 32" door?
Diagonal a 29" suitcase will fit 33" "door sweep"..

~ Go to Home Depot and buy pipe insulating cover they are gray foam covers sold by the length, this will bend and fit in suitcase. Be sure to cut it with a utility knife down the entire length, then you can slip it under the door and it works the same as a sweep or draft-critter deterant!!!!

Last edited:

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Up north we used "Draft Dodgers" to keep the cold out;--basically a fabric tube filled with saw dust. Very flexable and ok to make it even longer than the door. Just don't pack the dust real tight. Try to use a breathable fibre. When you get to the DR get a spray bottle and fill it with deisel fuel or go to an animal feed supplier or other place that has a more aromatic pest defense. The diesel may last longer. Spray the bottom of the door and dodger for a few days to let the saw dust soak it up. When you leave for your 6 months, just tack the dodger to the bottom of the door, close it and go.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
What do you want to keep OUT,or IN?
"Yeah"! that Home Depot really sucks!
How Dare they sell a 36" door sweep,when you wanted a 33"??????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Cut off 3 inches with a "hack saw". Don't use tin snips,they may crush the channel,and the sweep will not go "Up & Down".

Heythere

Feb 24, 2005
70 pounds?

What airline do you fly that still allows 70 pounds? The ones I fly used to allow 70 but they all now only allow 50 ...

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
What airline do you fly that still allows 70 pounds? The ones I fly used to allow 70 but they all now only allow 50 ...
Biz class AC, I used the points.. allowed to check 2 bags 70 pounds and a third for 100 bucks...

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
What do you want to keep OUT,or IN?
"Yeah"! that Home Depot really sucks!
How Dare they sell a 36" door sweep,when you wanted a 33"??????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Cut off 3 inches with a "hack saw". Don't use tin snips,they may crush the channel,and the sweep will not go "Up & Down".

Exactly what I did, its a little bent but nothing bad...

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Up north we used "Draft Dodgers" to keep the cold out;--basically a fabric tube filled with saw dust. Very flexable and ok to make it even longer than the door. Just don't pack the dust real tight. Try to use a breathable fibre. When you get to the DR get a spray bottle and fill it with deisel fuel or go to an animal feed supplier or other place that has a more aromatic pest defense. The diesel may last longer. Spray the bottom of the door and dodger for a few days to let the saw dust soak it up. When you leave for your 6 months, just tack the dodger to the bottom of the door, close it and go.

that sounds interesting...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
JUST FILL Your "Draft Dodger" with sand,not sawdust.It will stay in place better that way,and cover the opening much better!
We use them in "New England" as well.
Make good "Hand Made" Christmas gifts.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
they sell these things pre-made ... except it's two tubes connected with a cloth "bridge". one tube on each side of the door with cloth bridge under the door, so it works all the time, not just when you're inside to put it in place. Not sure I like the idea (or the smell) of diesel fuel.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
they sell these things pre-made ... except it's two tubes connected with a cloth "bridge". one tube on each side of the door with cloth bridge under the door, so it works all the time, not just when you're inside to put it in place. Not sure I like the idea (or the smell) of diesel fuel.

Thats why the suggestion of something else. Not much fuel is needed. Chris Colon added the use of sand. My mom used to make these. The sand tends to leak out and in the hills of Connecticut was deemed not as energy effiecent. Best to ponder CCCCCCCCCCCCC's question--of what is the real intended use? If the concern is loosing A/C you won't cold air won't exit for hot air. If the concern is roaches. They will enter anywhere, least of which may be under the door. If you are only concerned about the amount of the opening, don't be or get a strip of wood and glue it to the bottom of the door. If you are worried about roaches and don't have pets or small children, Walgreens used to sell Borax tablets real cheap--just put a few in areas where they hide.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
JUST FILL Your "Draft Dodger" with sand,not sawdust.It will stay in place better that way,and cover the opening much better!
We use them in "New England" as well.
Make good "Hand Made" Christmas gifts.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CC, Where you from in New England?