Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Total Disappointment in my Door Sweep Purchase at Home Depot..Sheesh!

Well long story short, I'm moving into new apartment in a few weeks in PC. Im now back in Canada and have started packing my 3 suitcases each 29x20X12 and allowed 70 pounds for each.. I bought 2 amazing "door sweeps" this morning 36", and no they don't fit into the suitcase even on an angle. What was I thinking?
    The two sweeps are "STAINLESS STEEL" with a great strong bristle on the bottom. I bought two just in case one "rusts", after all they are made in China and sometimes stainless steel from China still rusts(had that happen with cutlery). I would have bought one that "bends" , didn't see one at HD... Someone mentioned in my other thread, they fit into their suitcase, so I didn't bother measureing, maybe its a 32" door?
    Diagonal a 29" suitcase will fit 33" "door sweep"..

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Buy a 3” PVC drain pipe. They come in 8’ length. Cut it in half (4’). Put the sweeps is in the pipe and cap the ends.
    Have a nice trip!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

cut them dear Liza

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sohrab View Post
    Buy a 3” PVC drain pipe. They come in 8’ length. Cut it in half (4’). Put the sweeps is in the pipe and cap the ends.
    Have a nice trip!

Doors

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

If you don't want to cut them, send them here. They shouldn't weight much so shipping should not be a big item.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought the same thing for my ranch house to keep out the critters crawling under the doors. They work great!

I had to bend mine (slightly) in a large suitcase. It won't fit straight but you can slightly bend those and fix them when they are here. I did this and straightened them out, nailed them up and they work nicely.

Or, as another post recommended, simply cut them in half with tin snips. This might actually be a better idea depending upon your floor. I have a concrete poured floor but in the Dominican fashion it isn't exactly level per the bottom of the door. So I had to adjust mine a tad to compensate and having them cut in half could have made that easier.

But they are great. And the best news?? They keep out the blowing snow as well!!!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Should've went to Rona... Home Depot is a rip off.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I would try carrying them on inside the plane. Most airplanes have a closet just to your right as you enter the aircraft for such things, near where the crew greets you. Stick em in the closet on your way in and retrieve em on your way out. Simple really.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Contango View Post
    Well long story short, I'm moving into new apartment in a few weeks in PC. Im now back in Canada and have started packing my 3 suitcases each 29x20X12 and allowed 70 pounds for each.. I bought 2 amazing "door sweeps" this morning 36", and no they don't fit into the suitcase even on an angle. What was I thinking?
    The two sweeps are "STAINLESS STEEL" with a great strong bristle on the bottom. I bought two just in case one "rusts", after all they are made in China and sometimes stainless steel from China still rusts(had that happen with cutlery). I would have bought one that "bends" , didn't see one at HD... Someone mentioned in my other thread, they fit into their suitcase, so I didn't bother measureing, maybe its a 32" door?
    Diagonal a 29" suitcase will fit 33" "door sweep"..

~ Go to Home Depot and buy pipe insulating cover they are gray foam covers sold by the length, this will bend and fit in suitcase. Be sure to cut it with a utility knife down the entire length, then you can slip it under the door and it works the same as a sweep or draft-critter deterant!!!!
    Last edited by jrjrth; 12-07-2011 at 05:54 PM. Reason: spelling

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

is this the right time to mention you cant actually buy them here

11. Likes devdev, susan77, Africaida liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast