Are DEA taking over?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Looks like the email never filtered down that they'd be arresting someone at the airport... Surprising though because I would think they'd need some sort of authorization from the local authorities to proceed with this type of operations.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The US government has had DEA operatives here for many years. Some of them are actually on loan other branches in the US military. I know this because I did a project as contractor for NAVFAC who was working for the DNCD and we had two chaperone operators, one standard DEA and the other was US Army special forces on loan to the DEA. I expect the fact that you rarely see or hear from them is that they are only going after the high profile international types.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
There is going to be more to this story coming out. It doesn't sound right as the DEA, US Marshal or any other US agency doesn't have police powers in the DR. Any operations by these agencies have to be preformed in conjunction with local authorities. Any arrests made have to be made by local authorities such as DNCD or National Police. Anyone arrested would be entitled to an extradition hearing before being returned to the US.
***Now I see it was the DNCD.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Here is an interesting article about the DEA's operation and support of the DNCD.

Program Detail | Just the Facts - U.S. military aid to Latin America and the Caribbean

From what I remember, the DEA agents were armed and traveled in their own vehicles. I imagine they are used for sensitive missions and they direct the local DNCD agents to the target. not to mention training them on the latest methodologies with the newest equipment in the field.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Afternoon, You are right about the lack of "Peace Officer" status for Federal Special Agents although most countries do grant firearm carry authority for self defense. Almost all countries have assigned TFO's (Task Force Officers) who are local Agencies personnel. If you are not a Dominican citizen you do have to go through the extradition process they just deport you.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
There is going to be more to this story coming out. It doesn't sound right as the DEA, US Marshal or any other US agency doesn't have police powers in the DR. Any operations by these agencies have to be preformed in conjunction with local authorities. Any arrests made have to be made by local authorities such as DNCD or National Police. Anyone arrested would be entitled to an extradition hearing before being returned to the US.
***Now I see it was the DNCD.

this has been the policy since i don't know when. no US law enforcement agency can perform police actions outside of the US borders/territories without contacting local authorities. i hope you didn't think they could.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Ridiculous Belief

no US law enforcement agency can perform police actions outside of the US borders/territories without contacting local authorities. i hope you didn't think they could.

And I hope you do not believe they comply with that policy..

donP

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
And I hope you do not believe they comply with that policy..

donP
Care to cite an example? Which US police agency, federal or local, has police powers beyond US border? I thought so..... again another rediculous post without merit.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Covert Operations

Care to cite an example? Which US police agency, federal or local, has police powers beyond US border?

None.
But do they care?

"In its editorial of July 25th, The Nation magazine denounces America’s use of “secret armies, covert operations…offshore torture centers, out-of-control armed corporations, runaway military spending, (...), wars by assassination—and all the other features of the imperial presidency…”

donP

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
None.
But do they care?

"In its editorial of July 25th, The Nation magazine denounces America’s use of “secret armies, covert operations…offshore torture centers, out-of-control armed corporations, runaway military spending, (...), wars by assassination—and all the other features of the imperial presidency…”

donP
Military operations are not police actions. As predicted, you spewed without any facts. Again, please cite an example of where a US police agency acted outside the US without the host country being in authority. In the DR when a US agency, such as the DEA or US Marshal wants to make an arrest, they do so in conjuction with the DNCD or PN who then hold the arrestee until they are turned over to the US Marshal at the airport. BTW,the US Marshal's air transport (ConAir) makes pickup and deliveries at SDQ every Thursday.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"AMERICANOS",,,It's GOOD To Be Us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Country everybody "Loves To Hate"!
The Country that other civilized countries look to for protection.:rambo:
The Country where everybody wants to live!
Have you seen the size of the "Lines" outside the Cuban and Venezuelan consuls??????
"Bwahahahaha",to quote AZB!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
this has been the policy since i don't know when. no US law enforcement agency can perform police actions outside of the US borders/territories without contacting local authorities. i hope you didn't think they could.

Define contacting local authorities. When the US invaded Grenada they didn't consult with local authorities. They took out local authorities. Without much effort I could find a number of other examples.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Military operations are not police actions. As predicted, you spewed without any facts. Again, please cite an example of where a US police agency acted outside the US without the host country being in authority. In the DR when a US agency, such as the DEA or US Marshal wants to make an arrest, they do so in conjuction with the DNCD or PN who then hold the arrestee until they are turned over to the US Marshal at the airport. BTW,the US Marshal's air transport (ConAir) makes pickup and deliveries at SDQ every Thursday.

Police action in military/security studies and international relations is a euphemism for a military action undertaken without a formal declaration of war. The Korean war was called a police action, so was Vietnam.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Wherever

"NYPD's intelligence operations do not stop at the city line.
(...)
Cohen* has also sent officers abroad, stationing them in 11 foreign cities. If a bomber blows himself up in Jerusalem, the NYPD rushes to the scene, said Dzikansky, who served in Israel and is the co-author of the forthcoming book "Terrorist Suicide Bombings: Attack Interdiction, Mitigation, and Response."

donP