Need to open a bank account without cedula

mike22

Dec 8, 2011
Hi.
Is there a bank in DR that allows open an account without cedula ?
If yes, whar are the requairments ?
Thanks

J Espanol

Feb 28, 2011
Yes, I do not have a cedula and I was able to open an account at Banco Popular. All you need is your passport. The process takes about a week.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I believe the banks are much stricter now. You may need a letter of reference from your bank, someone in the DR to introduce you to the bank and yes, a passport is all that is required for identification from you. And the process takes about 1 1/2 hours!

serenity

Dec 1, 2011
At the Banco Popular you will need the following: Passport, letter from your bank, reference letter from a dominican that knows you preferablly a business owner even better if this person also banks at the banco popular good luck do you live in sosua if yes ask for Fredy Bruno he is the assistant manager there and is very helpful.

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
I opened an account with Progreso and it was SO easy...I had my passport, plus license for extra ID, and a letter from my employer. Nothing was ever asked about a reference from my bank, although I've heard a lot about that. What a nuisance! ;) I had my account set up within about 30 mins, and the card within a few days. People there were extremely helpful and friendly, and I'm a happy customer :)

If you aren't gainfully employed here in the DR, then best to get the bank reference letter as back up.

Good luck! :)

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Progresso opened up an account for me with my passport. They also asked for a letter from my bank. My stupid bank in England wouldn't give me one, they said that the request had to come directly from the bank and they don't deal in foreign languages.

I just copied a logo from their website, pasted it on a Word page and wrote my own letter! It worked a treat!

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
@Beeza, that's awesome :) I actually told them I didn't know my address (I really didn't...3 different houses on the same street claimed to be the same number, and who was I to argue ;) ) and they just shrugged and said it didn't matter. In Canada, you can't even replace your bank card without a bag full of ID, proof of address, etc. so this was a surprise :)

Progresso opened up an account for me with my passport. They also asked for a letter from my bank. My stupid bank in England wouldn't give me one, they said that the request had to come directly from the bank and they don't deal in foreign languages.

I just copied a logo from their website, pasted it on a Word page and wrote my own letter! It worked a treat!

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Very easy at Banco Santa Cruz. You need: passport, letter from your bank back home stating that you are in good standing, $200 for US account and $200US in pesos for peso account, and someone who will vouch for you (they need a cedula). We do it all the time with our clients and it takes about an hour.

Bob K

whiddons

Dec 19, 2010
Banco de Reservas (BanReservas) you only need your passport and 5,000 pesos. Also has the option of US dollars or Pesos account.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
This was how it was for me too. But I believe I opened it with 2000 pesos. Now what I do each month when my soc sec is deposited in the United States is to go to Xoom.com and transfer most of it here. $4.95USD is all xoom charges When I extract pesos direct from the US acct the bank there charges me $4.95 plus 3% and their exchange rate is less than Xoom also. And the bank here charges 112 pesos.
Wouldn't it be easier to open a dollar account and have your SS direct deposited?
https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0202402201

For Dominican rules: https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0202402321

kevin1234

Jan 1, 2011
blogging.cwl.cc
I went to the ScotiaBank in POP and this is exactly what the woman requested:

- One Reference Letter from your Bank in Canada. The letter needs the email addres of banking officer in Canada
- Two letters of reference from some professional that confirms my address and what type of work I do back home and how many years they know me
- Passport and drivers license
- A letter from my company (letterhead)

It appears as though the various banks are different in how they operate.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
My experience is that not even all the outlets from 1 bank have the same requierments. While it was very difficult to open a Banco Popular account in Jarabacoa, it is no problem at all in Cabarete. Maybe because they are more used to expats.

Banco Popular in Jarabacoa, the outlet close to the cemetary, wanted 3 references from customers (Dominicanos) of Banco Popular. They accepted 2 friends, and my contract with Orange. The other outlet demanded a letter of reference, and a bunch of other crap. On top of that they changed it everytime.

kevin1234

Jan 1, 2011
blogging.cwl.cc
What was also interesting (at the ScotiaBank in POP) was that she expected me to be disappointed about ONLY getting a checking account. That she could not offer me a Savings account. Dominican banking already feels like a different experience from home.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hi.
Is there a bank in DR that allows open an account without cedula ?
If yes, whar are the requairments ?
Thanks

This is always an interesting question.

In my case, having a bank account was a requirement for my cedula/residency applications.

Letter from my home bank, 2 references and a $5,000US deposit.

In the absence of property or any other connection to RD, the bank account established my presence here.
All done by Guzman, Ariza