Has the Dominican Republic become more dangerous in the last couple of years?

crenshore

Jan 13, 2004
Apologies if this is a silly question. I live in the New York area and recently had a conversation to a Dominican woman from Santiago and also a Dominican man from Santo Domingo (two separate conversations). I told them I was planning to visit the country in January or February, and they both told me to be careful, and that the country has become very dangerous because of narco trafficking, and that tourists are getting robbed and beaten up all the time, as are locals, and this development has occurred in the last couple of years. I have been to the country many times, driving all over the place, staying in local hotels (never all-inclusives) and eating in local restaurants and have never once felt unsafe. Admittedly the last time I went was three years ago, so I am not as clued-in as these two Dominicans are. The question is, are they being fair in their summation of the state of things in the country, or are they exaggerating a bit, and should I not be worried? Thanks for all your input and apologies for the sensationalist headline. FYI, I plan to go to Santiago, Samana, and Santo Domingo.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Apologies if this is a silly question. I live in the New York area and recently had a conversation to a Dominican woman from Santiago and also a Dominican man from Santo Domingo (two separate conversations). I told them I was planning to visit the country in January or February, and they both told me to be careful, and that the country has become very dangerous because of narco trafficking, and that tourists are getting robbed and beaten up all the time, as are locals, and this development has occurred in the last couple of years. I have been to the country many times, driving all over the place, staying in local hotels (never all-inclusives) and eating in local restaurants and have never once felt unsafe. Admittedly the last time I went was three years ago, so I am not as clued-in as these two Dominicans are. The question is, are they being fair in their summation of the state of things in the country, or are they exaggerating a bit, and should I not be worried? Thanks for all your input and apologies for the sensationalist headline. FYI, I plan to go to Santiago, Samana, and Santo Domingo.

Common sense and respect will go a long way, along with a SENSE OF HUMOR.......

You will be fine, good luck.....

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I hear the same stories, and I think they're mostly just that. Be aware of your surroundings, the same way you would in NYC, and don't worry. I spend months at a time there, a very obvious gringa, and have never seen anything of the sort.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
The Bronx is one of the safest places to live nowadays YET you mention the BX to some and the comments you here are outrageous.

Mind your p's and q's and you will be alright. :)

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
The Bronx is one of the safest places to live nowadays YET you mention the BX to some and the comments you here are outrageous.

Mind your p's and q's and you will be alright. :)

Wow, talk about wishful thinking... Are you talking about the Bronx, NY?

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
Like AlterEgo, I'm a pretty obvious Gringa...and I've NEVER encountered a single problem here in the DR. I've lived in Cabarete, POP, Cabrera, and have traveled solo to Santo Domingo and Santiago. Nothing, just hissing, has ever happened :)

Be safe, keep your wits about you and don't get into drug/bad habits and you're fine.

That all being said, there is crime, just as there is anywhere in the world...but you won't see people being mugged left and right, as some make out :)

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
BXboy, you remember the Riddler's, Sidestreet, Willie's Steak House on White Plains Road? Do they still exist? Johnny's Reef? Sure do miss those great spots man!

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Johnny's is still open in City Isalnd. They only open in the warmer months. Tony's is open all year long across the street.

Herpes Triangle. lol Riddler's, PC and People's. Oh boy, we are going back!!!!!

Riddler's is still there but as another name. The Chazz Lounge. It closed it's doors a few months ago.
Side Street opens once in a while in the summer months as an after beach party place. During the year, it opens with a different name and venue.
Willie's Steak House is still there. Going strong.

You brought me back to the 80's. I am going to hit up some tunes in "Racer you are on" thread. lol

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Like AlterEgo, I'm a pretty obvious Gringa...and I've NEVER encountered a single problem here in the DR. I've lived in Cabarete, POP, Cabrera, and have traveled solo to Santo Domingo and Santiago. Nothing, just hissing, has ever happened :)

Be safe, keep your wits about you and don't get into drug/bad habits and you're fine.

That all being said, there is crime, just as there is anywhere in the world...but you won't see people being mugged left and right, as some make out :)

Agreed. When i left cabrera last week, there were rumors of ladrones in the hills and in town.
I posted about our housekeeper having her earring torn off for 7 stitches.

After that, we took those warnings seriously.
We gave the Watchyman wake-up pills and even kicked the dogs out of the bedroom to patrol the property.

We have never taken precautions before.

Nothing happened - either because of good luck or good management.

We all know that this is the worst time of year for crime - petty and othewise.

Good sense, awareness and civility go a long way.... as all above have said.

wmdrandolph

Nov 21, 2011
Living in Santo Domingo (Bella Vista)- driving to Bayona daily. only have heard of problems in other areas, and then when the person reporting was alone and not being smart.
Have learned that robberies proliferate from mid-December til the end of the year due the double salaries given mid-month.
just gotta be careful like anywhere else!! We're from LA and learned that lesson a long time ago.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Always remember, your closest acquaintances are the ones that usually set you up or anyone that have seen you valuables for the most part.

Do not trust ANYONE!!!!

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
I definitely agree with the above and be careful of the people who do repairs around your home! Keep your eyeball on them!They tend to scope out other areas if you don't notice, then, you know the rest!!!

Happy Holidays to ALL!!!!

crenshore

Jan 13, 2004
Thanks for all the responses

Feel a lot better after the posts, thanks. These two people made it seem ten times worse than New York City. I guess it's all relative.

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
Although I missed your post on the earring (that's awful...I hope she's ok) I did hear from a good friend of ours in town that there had been a few robberies locally. Nothing serious, but as you say it is the season!

All this to say, even though I live in what I think is the friendliest place ever :) I still lock my doors at night, put the pasola away, and let my three funny little dogs sit outside at night. It's funny to see how many Dominicans are terrified of them, even the tiny little hound! :)

Agreed. When i left cabrera last week, there were rumors of ladrones in the hills and in town.
I posted about our housekeeper having her earring torn off for 7 stitches.

After that, we took those warnings seriously.
We gave the Watchyman wake-up pills and even kicked the dogs out of the bedroom to patrol the property.

We have never taken precautions before.

Nothing happened - either because of good luck or good management.

We all know that this is the worst time of year for crime - petty and othewise.

Good sense, awareness and civility go a long way.... as all above have said.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The Banca below La Catalina was robbed last week.

The earring thief was from out of town... nonresidents are easily spotted by the locals.

Contrary to some other posts, in Cabrera the crimes are mostly by interlopers.

Remember, the police killed a ladrone here a year or two ago.