Excellent Piece on Furniture In Warm and Humid Climates, By Lars Wadso

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Ive gone from shopping for furniture to now looking for locally built "some what climatized furniture", all in one day. If you live full time in a Tropical climate at least your place is constantly getting aired out, not such a big deal. For people like me that will be in the DR for 6 months and gone for 6 months, once you lock the door and the Heat and Humidity take over in your apartment processes like mold/Rot/warping/expansion, takes over... I'm getting an education.
Yes you could say i'm getting a little bit obsessed with all of this.

Excellent piece
http://www2.hdm.lth.se/bi/report/95no2/W 95-2.pdf

Last edited:

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
I think this subject was recently addressed. Do a search. Seems that Teak, Mohagany and stainless steel is the only way. Ikea and other stores catering to gringo appeal don't work. Best to stay with tried and true. If you are in SD there are some furniture stores on Duarte with nice stuff and some will custom make.

May 29, 2006
Anything with particle board (IKEA) will swell and sag and the laminates peel off. Plastic patio chairs break down under UV light. Metal rusts and chrome peals off.

My folks bought two nice rocking chairs from the DR over 40 years ago with woven rattan seats and they are still like new. I think they paid something like $25 each for them, if that. Not a nail in them. Just good carpentry with a couple of wooden pegs or wedges.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Now I'm reading up on "wood dowels"(good) and "problems with different types of Glue in furniture" also urethanes and varnishes.. There is an old saying, "if you buy right the first time, it can last a lifetime"...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have heavy bamboo furniture on my covered patio.It has woven "Rattan/Wicker" seats and backs.
It does get wet when it is raining and windy.It is comfortable,and I am 6'7" tall,and 300 "some" pounds.
We had some cushions made.THEY ARE CLOTH COVERED FOAM.
I bought them at "Mundo de Bamboo" on the right side of the highway leaving Santiago for Santo Dominigo.
I paid only 8,500 pesos for 3 chairs,a "Love Seat",and a small table.
I had other quotes of up to 40,000 pesos for similar furniture."Buyer Beware"!
Cris Colon
"Oh!",I love it,and visitors always have positive comments.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I know the 'heavy' type you're talking about but I want a more delicate type.

1 1/2 - 2" bamboo instead of that 3-4" type.

Its for a smaller spot and can't be that large.

Do they have that at Bamboo World? Do you know?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I didn't see any,but I was not looking for that.
There are about 10 stores along thet stretch.I shopped them all before I found "Bamboo Mundo".
It was tiny,and so were their prices.
Check out that "Strip"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc