How is the speed of the internet in Santo Domingo?

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
Hi there,

I hope I wont't sound like some cocky MF, but my recent stay in Cura?ao and Surinam have given me the impression that the speed of the internet in these areas ain't ment to play Call of Duty on Xbox Live. :ermm:

I would've like to know which companies provide the internet in Santo Domingo so I can check their websites.

(Yeah, I already see someone screaming GOOGLE my friend!)

I only came across Tricom.net

There must be more or not? I'm used to 20mb and they only go up to 5mb??? :ermm:

Ooh well, thanks for your time and let me know.. by da way for those who already use internet can you tell me of course what it is you use and if it's fast?

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
Today my Santo Domingo Quest has started, so I think something positive will come out of all this evntually.. I will contact them too of course because speed is also depending on the location of housing and that part I also need to fix. But yeah, 10mb SHOULD be fine.

I ain't going to play Xbox Live but I should think that playing a Youtube video should be possible without breaks..

But yeah people, let 'm come in so I'm more prepared.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
I use Aster with a 2mbit connection....its not 20mbit but its pretty fast and good low pings.
Doubt you will find anything faster than 5mbit for anything less than a small fortune... even 2mbit is expensive here...

No D/L limits here though...

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Funny enough I was just doing the same research. I need to have internet with no data cap for my apt in DR. I am going to run a DD-WRT enabled router (linksys hacked router) to run a VPN session so I can access my Netflix, run webcam based video surveillance, online music, and other US based services. Just debating whether to use a free VPN service or just tunnel into my Comcast pipe back in the states.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I was looking for DavidZ'post about when he was in a hotel in Florida and was blown away with 10+ Mb speeds. Well, I am now safely ensconced here in my daughter's house and we have 11.2 Mb, so ?ee, ?ee ?ee!! But I cannot feel smug at all. While I enjoy this speed (4.5 times what I get in Santiago) what blew my mind this morning was when I was talking to a good friend of ours that got one of those Scholarships to Utah State, and he shows me a test he ran in the USU Library...Are you ready?

Really really ready??

Really really really really ready???

Remember when you ran the test and the needle went up to 2 and a bit>>

Well this "sucker"literally flew to , sorry but this is TRUE (cross my heart) to 94.3 Mbps!!! Uploads were 56.7 Mbps!!! And the PING was 19 Mbps>>>???

Now that is flying@!!

HB

Doc T

Dec 21, 2011
Telecommunications in the Dominican Republic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hmmm, I don't even know how I could forget about Wiki but I just found a new provider.. WIND Telecom. I wonder why nobody mentioned this one, but okay.

The 10mbps WIND is like halve the price of Claro. Ooh well, I'll like further in to it.

Yes. I have Wind in Santo Domingo and made the move after my hand was forced by Claro thnx to their overpricing and ****ty service. We never had problems with Wind and it's definitely the way to go. It also comes with a decent cable package, if you watch TV.

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
Yes. I have Wind in Santo Domingo and made the move after my hand was forced by Claro thnx to their overpricing and ****ty service. We never had problems with Wind and it's definitely the way to go. It also comes with a decent cable package, if you watch TV.

Thanks, at this time I'm still calculating what I'm gonna do.. hotel with internet or just rent a house and get the Wind internet. I'm very very very depending on the internet, so that's a very big thing for me. As long as it can play a YouTube video without being interrupted I'm straight.

And yeah, it said 10mb.. but it can turn out to be just 2mb.

Olives

Jun 15, 2011
Wind.com.do fast enough speeds for most, limited areas but no bandwidth limit.
orange.com.do has faster speeds and better coverage but bandwidth limits

Cable and DSL available in most areas as well.

I have seen many different plan options.

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
Ooh well, I'm going to write them an e-mail soon..

Using the internet without streaming = like up to 1gb a day.
Using the internet with streaming = like up to 7gb a day.

If they're coming with some dumb ish like 10gb a month then I don't know what to do. We're going to see..