Shpping "stuff" from the DR to the US

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I need to ship some 100 to 150 pounds of used tools back to the States (Florida).
Any idea how to do it effectively and without paying more than what the "stuff" is worth (probably $500.oo if bought NEW in the US).

Thanks! ... J-D.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Why do you not sell it here to some local craftsmen, as good tools are very expensive here. They would probably love the quality. If you add up the cost of shipping, and the money you could receive by selling it, you could probably buy it new again.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
I ship barrels down here from Lancaster, Pa. for $125 US (cost of barrel and shipping together) - Maybe there is a way to reverse the process for similar money? Y.G. Shipping & Multi-Service @ Calle Mexico #136, Buenos Aires Herrera, Sto. Dgo. Oeste, R.D. - 809-926-4336 or cell 809-430-2197 maybe they could have answers?

As belgiank says your probably better off selling here.
Karlheinz

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Nobody has ever posted about a reasonable way to ship items from the DR to the US( or anywhere else for that matter). There was a fellow who wanted to move here and make guitars. His problem was that he could not ship them out of the country for a reasonable fee to his potential customers so he had to abandon the idea. I am afraid it will cost more than it is worth to ship the tools.

jafo

Dec 16, 2006
Just a quick note .

When I moved back to the USA a few years ago , it turned into a nightmare.

The part of getting the barrels out was easy. Its when they got to the USA , the problems started .

First a import tax , then a fuel surcharge . All this is from the Docks here in NY . Then the missing items .

Save your time and money sell your stuff or bring it on the plane if you can.

Good luck

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
totally in agreement, my biggest problem has been things missing from the barrels or boxes. Mostly electronics - a small dvd player, coffee pot, but this year it was a spare laptop computer missing from the box, along with power cords, etc......probably at Aduana i'm guessing but i've learned my lesson. A folding kayak, a honda generator, metal detector, window AC all comes along fine - probably too big to easily steal is my guess.