Cast iron cookware

Calmclam

Mar 29, 2005
Does anyone have experience using cast iron pans in the DR? I'm wondering it the humidity and lack of air conditioning make it hard to maintain. If not a problem, are decent pans available there for a reasonable price or should I bring some from the US?

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I haven't found any cast iron pots here for sale. I learned to cook with cast iron, so I have missed my skillets and dutch oven hear. But since they weigh so much, I don't even try to put them in my suitcase or have them shipped here. I suppose if you were shipping a container of household items, it might be worthwhile.

As to the humidity and salt air: If they cookware is seasoned well enough, the humidity and salty air shouldn't be a factor. Remember, cast iron was used long before air conditioning was invented, and it was (and still is) able to go from arctic cold to scorching humid summer without a problem.

PS: If you get a cast iron skillet here, can I come to your house and make cornbread in your oven? I'll bring all the ingredients.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
I have two cast iron skillets - one a huge two handler and a smaller one for everyday use. Keep them seasoned and teach your help not to scrub the heck out of them with a brillo pad (destroys the seasoning) and they keep well - I just dry and oil mine after washing. P.s. - brought both down in barrel shipments, way to heavy for regular luggage and I too have not seen anything remotely like my pans anywhere here. Who wants to make cornbread !! - bring the mixings to the colonial zone.

Karlheinz

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Nothing Better

... have not seen anything remotely like my pans anywhere here.

Many years ago I bought two LODGE cast iron skillets in "Cuesta", the best cookware we have in the house.
Treat them as they recommend in their booklet and they will outlive you and your offspring.

donP

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Does anyone have experience using cast iron pans in the DR? I'm wondering it the humidity and lack of air conditioning make it hard to maintain. If not a problem, are decent pans available there for a reasonable price or should I bring some from the US?

You dont have to bring it from US. There is at least 10 places in Santo Domingo where you can find any Cast Iron pans.
Some people here think that DR is Playero or Janet. NOT. DR is Santiago or Santo Domingo. and as the promo. DR HAS IT ALL.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You dont have to bring it from US. There is at least 10 places in Santo Domingo where you can find any Cast Iron pans.
Some people here think that DR is Playero or Janet. NOT. DR is Santiago or Santo Domingo. and as the promo. DR HAS IT ALL.

Where can I find real maple syrup? Good luck on the cast iron pans, they are hard to find on the north coast, so you will have to go to the "real" DR for them.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
For seasoning the cast iron, flaxseed oil is better than other oils.
It lasts longer - stays on the iron better.

Read the Cook's Illustrated article on the seasoning procedure.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009

Where, exactly? I've been searching, and I've only found one 6" skillet. I am looking for a Dutch oven.

May 29, 2006
IKEA maybe? I bet they carry stuff like Le Creuset if you want to spend some real money.

$200 for a Dutch oven? Yipes!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Problem here is the cost at 2 or 3x the US (Walmart/Target/Home Depot) price...
I will be shipping a box shortly...let me know...How big a Dutch Oven?

HB

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I brought over in the container of my household goods 2 cast iron frying pans ( do Americans call them skillets?) and a large casserole pan with lid 5 years ago. They are in use nearly every day, i only worry about dropping them and so breaking them. Very slow long time roast of beef tomorrow - yum, yum.

May 29, 2006
I've used them for baking on a stove top with two skillets. You heat a bigger one up until it's VERY hot and put it over a smaller one that is on low heat. You want much more top heat than bottom heat. I've even made sticky honey buns with a yeast dough on a camping trip. You have to reheat the larger pan every few minutes. "Real" Dutch ovens have lids that can hold charcoal on top so they don't spill:

6Gzd9cLWlelOkE5iaH7QvIGrIDKRpMLPPyfvgjQVv43Hqa3F43YNYEtZJUTZVr-RcOkSvk4aEptywWTlffP7eGy3Hv7yB13pd1KwM_rKoizocyN78WoRN5XHNyaK6-s63Q9wWoeB2yI2

This is made so the lid can be flipped over and used as a breakfast skillet.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Real maple syrup

Where can I find real maple syrup? Good luck on the cast iron pans, they are hard to find on the north coast, so you will have to go to the "real" DR for them.

Bravo on Churchill in Santo Domingo

Price about double what you pay in the US

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Thanks for the link on Lodge Logic.

I am definitely going to purchase the deep sautee pan after the first of the year, so I can make gumbo for Mardi Gras. I have been growing peppers and have finally found all the ingredients or brought spices from the states.

Last edited:

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011

~IKEA in Santo Domingo should sell enamel baked cast iron casserole pots like dutch ovens, they ship all over the RD, worth looking into instead of paying to ship and tax bringing them in from the US..

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
I've always been curious about cooking with cast iron. If I remember correctly, Chili's (restaurant) serves their fajitas super sizzling hot on cast iron type dish.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
I've always been curious about cooking with cast iron. If I remember correctly, Chili's (restaurant) serves their fajitas super sizzling hot on cast iron type dish.

Yes and Bacon and Eggs on a well seasoned cast iron skillet are to die for!!!!!!!!!!1

May 29, 2006

With the Fajita pans, what they do is leave it on a burner until it's practically glowing. Then they wait for the waitstaff to pick up the order before they put the just-cooked veggies and meat on them. The pans come with a handle pad and wooden base(necessary) and run about $20 a set at most restaurant supply companies in the US. In this case, it really is the sizzle that sells the steak. They don't really use the pans for cooking as much as to keep it hot and for the show of when it comes out of the kitchen.