Where to buy a Nim-Tree (Neem)?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Anybody knows where (if) in the Bavaro/Punta Cana/Higuey area I could buy a Nim tree, preferably a size to plant it in a pot and have it indoors if possible?

Another question is if it would keep mosquitos out?

Thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Almost any place would have them and they don't really but I think they help a little. There was a long long thread on these trees here a good while ago. With links to Nim sites around the internet..

HB

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Hi, thank you,

yes I remember there was a thread but I couldn't find it. If I remember it right, it did not contain an answer to the question where to buy it here in Bavaro.

So, you think, any "Jardineria" should have them, then I'll go out there and look for them :) Didn't know they are that common.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am pretty sure they are Mike. If not I will look here in Santiago for you..Should not be much trouble..

HB

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
I have four nim trees round the outside of the house and have minimal trouble with mosquitoes despite having lots of other vegetation which we don't spray.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Anybody knows where (if) in the Bavaro/Punta Cana/Higuey area I could buy a Nim tree, preferably a size to plant it in a pot and have it indoors if possible?

Another question is if it would keep mosquitos out?

Thanks

~Caribmike

There is a Plant nursery "Vivero" just before you come into Los Corales on the right hand side...just before the curve leading to Ave Alemania, they should have them there!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And I just asked my son where the nearest nursery was here in town to go get a couple. His answer:
"Viejo, outside there are dozens of them, they are like weeds. Wherever there is a Nim tree there are little trees nearby."

Okay, so maybe I had better be more aware of my surroundings...

HB

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
Funny that you ask this question cause I'm in the market for a Nim tree as well. I've always been told they help with mosquitos. The two viveros I know of is the one already mentioned in Los Corales and there is another if you make a right at Friusa gas station. Close to the Ferreteria Americana.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"Funny that you ask this question cause I'm in the market for a Nim tree as well. I've always been told they help with mosquitos. The two viveros I know of is the one already mentioned in Los Corales and there is another if you make a right at Friusa gas station. Close to the Ferreteria Americana."

Great, will check them next weekend. If they don't have them or if they try to charge "gringo-bonus" I'll get in touch w/ Hillbilly to see how I could get a better deal, lol :).... Thanks!

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
Is there another name for this tree just in case I ask for one at a local "Vivero" and get a crazy look on his/her face?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Got my Neem "Tree" today in the Vivero close to Ferreteria Americana in Friusa. Not cheap, 500 RD$ for a sapling of more or less 2 feet. They have taller, more expensive ones there, too.

The sign says "Nin" but the guy I asked there before knew right away what I was talking about. So, know I will see if it really makes a difference to have one around...

Jul 4, 2010
I'm extremelt surprised at what you payed for the Neem sapling, considering that Neem grow here like weeds, and they're all over the place. I could send you all the Neem samplings you want, via Caribe Tour or other, for the transportation cost and handling (packaging).

Got my Neem "Tree" today in the Vivero close to Ferreteria Americana in Friusa. Not cheap, 500 RD$ for a sapling of more or less 2 feet. They have taller, more expensive ones there, too.

The sign says "Nin" but the guy I asked there before knew right away what I was talking about. So, know I will see if it really makes a difference to have one around...

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Well, I read that before from Hillbilly, that they grow all over alas I did not really know how they look like in "real" and must say after having the sapling I did not see them around somewhere... well, maybe not here in the area.

My question is also if it is really the same tree what is growing all over, if so, why there are not less mosquitos around if these trees use some chemical which keeps mosquitos away...

Time will tell, if it not works I might carry the (by then maybe 20 feet high) tree back to the vivero, lol ;)

If it works though I might come back to you since I might need more in the future.

Jul 4, 2010
5cgj29.jpg

I planted Neem trees about twelve years ago, which can be seen towering over my home in the foothills north of Azua. There are no mosquitoes, however, I can't vouch the Neem has anthing to do with it, since this plateau very arid and windy.