THE MIRABAL SISTERS

M

michelle

I AM READING IN THE TIME OF THE BUTTERFLIES BY JULIA ALVAREZ. IT IS AN EXCELLENT BOOK AND I RECOMMEND IT TO EVERYONE. MY QUESTION IS, DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THE SISTERS? MAYBE A WEBSITE OR SOMETHING. I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT TRUJILLO.
THANKS TO EVERYONE.

A

A. Nony Mouse

http://www.jlhs.nhusd.k12.ca.us/Classes/Social_Science/Latin_America/Dominican_Republic.html

L

Lyse

Have you read Minerva Mirabal (William Galv?n), Las Mirabal (Ram?n Alberto Ferreras) and the poem Am?n de mariposas (Pedro Mir)? I don't know if published in English though.

C

CES

Re: THE MIRABAL SISTERS *PIC*

The following is one of my post's and a message thread on the Sisters. You (MICHELLE) have come to one of the best sites on the www to ask your questions on el Jefe and the Mirabal sisters. You will find that some of the participants of this board have direct connections and/ or first hand knowledge of Trujillo and the unforgivably severe methods that he used to control the Dominican Republic. . .

Regards,

. . . CES

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Re: Mirabal sisters/In the Time of Butterflies

Posted By: CES

Date: Wednesday, 11 April 2001

In Response To: Re: Mirabal sisters/In the Time of Butterflies (liza)

"Apesar de todas esas acciones de la dictadura ya era incontrolable el fervor por cambio y libertad que embriagaba a los jovenes dominicanos."

~ LM ~

~~``~~``~~``~~``~~``~~``~~``~~```~~~```~~~```~~~``~~``~~``~~``~~``~~``~~``~~``~~``~~``~~``~~``~~``~~

Thank you Liza for identifying the "Mirabal Pages", and also, is it possible that I see the 'hand' of one of our board regulars?

Thank you & . . .

Regards,

. . . CES

Click on link: > > >

K

Kathy

I too am a fan of the Mirabal sisters. I read the book and I also read other books by Julia Alvarez. If you look in the archives you will find other threads about this same topic. Good luck.

J

Jo Anne

If you read Spanish, a good book is "Tres hero?nas y un tirano" by Miguel Aquino Garc?a. The books in Spanish were hard for me to find, but I ordered them through my local library and they got them from universities across the USA for me. Also, there is a book of poems about the sisters: "Minerva, Patria y Mar?a Teresa, hero?nas y m?rtires" compiled by Fiume G?mez S?nchez. My favorite was the book by William Galv?n, however. It was more comprehensive with interviews and excerpts from letters.