And how does YOUR garden grow?

Calmclam

Mar 29, 2005
I want to try gardening in some homemade "Earth Boxes" but am concerned about the water... Any gardeners out there? If we can't drink the water do we want to use it on veggies? Is this any different from the veggies we buy in stores?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
For some reason I honestly doubt that farmers in this country use bottled water to grow their veggies...

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Abono

If we can't drink the water do we want to use it on veggies? Is this any different from the veggies we buy in stores?

Farmers in many parts of the world are known to use "liquid manure" on their fields.. so, your tap water should be of no harm...

donP

Calmclam

Mar 29, 2005
It's amazing how dependent we become on the ultra-sanitary conditions in the US. Even when I know about things like "liquid fertilizer" and "night soil." Plus one of the things I like so much about the DR is that life is closer to nature and takes me back to my childhood when things were much simpler and much less "sanitary." In the back of my mind, I knew this was a "dumb" question but was compelled to ask. Thanks for your responses.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Speaking of gardens what flowers can you grow here? I'd love to see some pops of colors not just bushes with the red flowers.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Well i dunno like. We've got all manner of colours in our garden: roses, red, yellow, and pink; a plant that always reminds me of a trifid with red flowers; little bushes along the side of the path with different shades of red flowers; lots of kind of stalky ones yellow, mauve and orange flowers; small trees with big yellow, red and purple leaves; and even two guandule trees with little yellow flowers, etc . The trouble is I don't any names, if I knew how to post pictures/photos I would do so! We use either rain water or that from our well and do our best to plant the ones considered more fragile in black soil. We eat our own guineos, platanos, guandules, oranges and lemons, yuca when in season. I wish we could grow particularly peas, broad and runner beans, parsnips and swede turnips. Luckily my wife has green fingers even if they are more of a chocolate colour.

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
Well i dunno like. We've got all manner of colours in our garden: roses, red, yellow, and pink; a plant that always reminds me of a trifid with red flowers; little bushes along the side of the path with different shades of red flowers; lots of kind of stalky ones yellow, mauve and orange flowers; small trees with big yellow, red and purple leaves; and even two guandule trees with little yellow flowers, etc . The trouble is I don't any names, if I knew how to post pictures/photos I would do so! We use either rain water or that from our well and do our best to plant the ones considered more fragile in black soil. We eat our own guineos, platanos, guandules, oranges and lemons, yuca when in season. I wish we could grow particularly peas, broad and runner beans, parsnips and swede turnips. Luckily my wife has green fingers even if they are more of a chocolate colour.[/QUOTE)

I read some time back that turnips (nebo in Spanish) didn't grow well here, yet last year I had a bumper crop and only because the extended family didn't recognise them (hence didn't like them) I barrowed many to the tip as I couldn't use what I had grown. Planted again 2 weeks ago and the seeds have shot out the ground ahead of the other veggies, beetroot, brocolli and scotch bonnett peppers (brown and very hot) also do well too.

Last edited:

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
It's alarming how charming it is to be a-farming
How calming and balming the effect of the air.

chuckles

Dec 12, 2011
Gardening and plants - they are a passion with me. I will be spending a month in Punta Cana this winter, does anyone have any suggestions on horticulture related tours for the DR?

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
I was wondering if roses could grow here because I haven't seen any.
Where did you buy them?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
In Belgium I was quite efficient in killing every plant or veggie just by looking at it.

Here I have lost my touch. They keep growing, and growing, and growing, ....

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
I have climbing roses growing just fine in my garden. I inherited them with the property.

Softail

Nov 15, 2011
I was living in Bangkok and saw a demonstration where they were growing lettuce hydroponically in cut out bamboo.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
I always liked the Angel Trumpet.
In colder climate we always needed to place the trees (in their pots) inside our cellar during the cold devilish winters- here in the DR it is just pure heaven! No more back breaking garden torture.

2rgkuop.jpg

They grow fast and beautiful here