El 9

Saskia

Jun 9, 2005
Bizzare question, but does anyone know why a Dominican guy would refer to his partner as "el 9"?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The Glock aside, I can think of two:
1) in a homosexual relationship the partner could be the 9 to his 6????
2) if the partner is a major pain in the arse, the Dominican could be referring to the old Trujillo torture chamber located on Km 9 of the highway???

Other than than, nothing comes to mind...

HB

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I may be wrong, but most likely is referring to "El 9" which is the huge bus terminal where all the buses going to El Cibao and other parts of the country wait for passengers. I'm sure it's an inside joke between them, but most likely is saying one of them is kind of a slut picking up all kinds of "passengers".

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
El nueve is tiguere speak for a woman. It only means a woman. How is your lady? Como esta el nueve? Nothing sinister!!!

matilda

Saskia

Jun 9, 2005
El nueve is tiguere speak for a woman. It only means a woman. How is your lady? Como esta el nueve? Nothing sinister!!!

matilda

Thanks Matilda, thats a bit boring but fits. All seems a bit secreative, why not just say novia or mujer? lol Saying that I should know Dominicans by now! They love dramatising things ;o)

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I suppose it is the same as English when guys will say,"How is your bird?" rather than girlfriend or woman. The list of slang seems to get longer and longer. I can hardly understand my stepson when he is talking to his mates lol. Yesterday the curry I made was described as "ratata", which apparently means nice!

Matilda

Saskia

Jun 9, 2005
Makes sense, Dominicans are probably the least "correct" when it comes to spanish, so using El for feminine would make no difference in their eyes LOL