travelling the DR

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
I have decided to take some advice from DR1 and stick to visiting the Western part of the DR this time. I want to go by guagua, not luxury bus... I plan to go santo Domingo to Bani then Baharona, up to San juan de la Maguana,but there I get stuck... I want to get over to Constanza and Bonao..but really dont want to go all the way back to Santo Domingo to come back up to Bonao... can i get to Constanza from San Juan de la maguana,.. over the mountains by guagua or motoconcho?

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
There is not road from San Juan to Constanza. But who knows? those guaguas can fly, for some reason they are called VOLADORAS.
You have to go back to El 15 de Azua (Cruce to San jose de Ocoa) and take road 41 to Constanza.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
On a map highway 41 looks like a real road but in reality it is in many parts just a goats track. You will need 4WD to ensure a safe trip using 41. The better way is to go back to the main highway #1.

dunroamin

Oct 12, 2010
San Juan to Santiago

The other road across the Codillera Central is the International Highway which follows the border with Haiti.

Last week I cycled from Dajabon to Pedro Santana and then on to San Juan. I met trucks taking produce from Las Matas de Farfan to market in Dajabon so it is passable in a non 4WD vehicle.

There ar guaguas from San Juan to las Matas and to Banica/Pedro Santana. There is some traffic [say 3/4 vehicles an hour] so you could hitch a ride Or negotiate with a moto concho in Pedro Santana.

There is a regular guagua fom Restauracion which will take you to Santiago or beyond. Pedro Santan to Restauracion is 70 km. The landscape is fantastic.

When in San Juan it is orth going to see el circulo de los indios It is quite unlike anything else on the island

Your trip is worth the effort

Last edited: