Used baseball equipment

ex-navy

Dec 28, 2006
Hi,

My wife and I have become regular visitors to the DR (Punta Cana).

We've travelled throughout the DR and love the people.

If we could donate used baseball equipment or help establish a Canadian/DR "Play ball" organization that helps less fortunate kids get into the game, how can we do this?

What would you recommend?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Biggest hurdle is finding a good shipping company.

I have spoken with some people in the States about the issue as well. I wonder how many gloves and other used equipment is sitting in closets in North American gathering dust and/or mold.

Gloves, helmets, catcher's protective gear, and batting machines (although power supply would be an issue there), bases, and shoes with cleats, to begin with.

If you can get the material together, I may have a lead in Boston who might be willing to ship at reduced cost.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I can suggest that you contact "Roberto's Kids" this is a project located near Cooperstown, New York and they ship container loads of baseball equipment down here each year. They take care of the national and I help with the international shipping. Get it to Steve and he will get it to the kids, all over the DR. Last year we spread out over a thousand teams worth of equipment. It was fabulous, and we had the help of the local Rotarians and other good people as well as some of the local "magnates"...and kids, lots of kids, helping to separate and classify the stuff.

So get in touch with Roberto's Kids and get on the bandwagon!! And Thank You!!

HB

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Thanks for that, Hillbilly. I have folks who are also wanting to donate, and I'm glad there is already an organization in place.

If you need any help with that on the south coast, I would be willing to pick up supplies and transport to a local group. I have a Toyota Hilux.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thank you Puryear270...will keep that in mind.

And thanks Cleef. Good to see you hanging around...Steve is just about snowed in now I think...

HB

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
I Have Another Possibility

for your donation. My wife and I have traveled to the Puerto Plata area for the past 14 years. In that time we have become very good friends with a man who works at our resort but also coaches a youth baseball team in Puerto Plata(Bella Costero). We have always made it a point to bring gently used equipment with us to donate to David's team. In 2011, we brought down 300 pounds of donated items. Fortunately for us, American Airlines approved an excess baggage waiver for us and so we did not have to pay extra to check the tubs/bags. David has about 60 kids on his team that range in age from 8-20. As you would guess, they can use any/all donations that might be available to them.

If you are interested, I can provide you with David's phone number, and you can contact him about your possible donation. He is willing to drive to Punta Cana if need be to pick up what ever you might have. Roberto's Kids is a GREAT organization and Steve does an awesome job of getting donations. With David however, your donation would be location specific, and you would be more than welcome to visit a practice/game if you so desired.

You can pm me if interested and I will provide you with the contact info. Also, thanks in advance for your desire to help the deserving kids of the Dominican Republic.

SB