Will this have any effect on the DR?

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Is homosexuality technically illegal in the DR? What about transgender operations? Without taking a position on the issues but from the aspect of the US trying to impose our will on other societies and cultures is this fair?

A memorandum from US President Barack Obama to heads of US executive departments and agencies on the treatment of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered persons (LGBT) The memorandum, issued Tuesday by the White House, sounds the charge for increased pressure on countries that refuse to end discrimination against non-heterosexuals -- lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered persons. "By this memorandum I am directing all agencies engaged abroad to ensure that US diplomacy and foreign assistance promote and protect the human rights of LGBT persons," wrote the president in his memo.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/Gay-pressure_10338535#ixzz1gQxW4L00

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I don't know if homosexuality is technically illegal in the DR. I am sure that Obama is not the person to make that decision for the DR or any other country.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Obama wants to be reelected and is after the votes of the gays and lesbians. I doubt this will make much of an impression on the Dominican government. Don't expect PLD and PRD to put such a plank in their platform.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
~ I find it hard to believe that with the RD having a high percentage of Catholics that this will have any bearing on changing things here in the RD.....the church has a large influence on its perishners;)

And agreed that Obama is looking to gather all votes that he can for the upcoming elections

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Don't forget how the IRS is doing the same if not worse. I am sometimes amazed what our government tries to impose on other countries. Sometimes it feels like we parody the Roman civilization...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
'yeah",the USA,you know,that terrible Country,where everyone wants to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
And if you think the DR doesn't have a "Color Issue",you are showing your ignorance of the DR,it's people,and it's Culture!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This is about LG &whatever else...not race or color. Please do not go that way....

Stick it Obama. This is not for you to decide for the DR or any other country for that matter.

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Nothing whatsoever to do with the DR - it's about aid conditionality and human rights, in this case about withdrawing development aid funds from countries like Uganda, where people are persecuted on the grounds of their sexuality.

The policy is likely to have its biggest effect in Africa, where an astonishing 38 countries—many which rely on the U.S. for aid—currently ban homosexual activity (in many cases, the penalty is death).
Starving Homophobia

I agree it's more about making a stand than effecting any positive change.