Helmet Law Abolished ?

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I noticed all of the motoconcho drivers in Sosua are no longer wearing their helmets and the police are no longer pulling you over and seizing your motorcycle.

When I pulled in the Playero today a dominican guy said you don't have to wear them anymore because the president changed the law.

Does anyone know if this is true.

Please no comments on the pros and cons of wearing a helmet as we all know what they are and it is an individuals choice.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
if this is the case it's the most stupid law change I've ever seen. Helmets save lives - or at least it keeps all the goo in one place in case of an accident.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I don't think so. It's one of those things, where once in a blue moon some cops decide to start enforcing the law for the sake of extracting money from motorists. This lasts a few weeks, but after a little while it goes back to "normal" with nobody wearing a helmet and the police not caring.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
if this is the case it's the most stupid law change I've ever seen. Helmets save lives - or at least it keeps all the goo in one place in case of an accident.

I asked that you do not debate the pros and cons ....just the facts please.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I doubt the law has changed. Enforcement is a local issue.

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
Why enforce the helmet?

I noticed all of the motoconcho drivers in Sosua are no longer wearing their helmets and the police are no longer pulling you over and seizing your motorcycle.

When I pulled in the Playero today a dominican guy said you don't have to wear them anymore because the president changed the law.

Does anyone know if this is true.

Please no comments on the pros and cons of wearing a helmet as we all know what they are and it is an individuals choice.
These cowboys break every law, and none are enfoced !:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
The law was NOT rescinded, since we are in a election year, the most probable reason for the police not stopping anyone due to helmet laws, is because the government does not want to stir up negative emotions from potential voters.

DominicanBilly

Mar 9, 2005
harborviewcondos.4t.com

I agree but!

Is it safer with a motoconcher driver with a helmet who has 4 children without helmets riding with him to school. As I see it as a former motorcycle owner, you are much more aware of your surroundings without a helmet. Same with the rule for the car driver who has to wear his seat-belt but none of the passengers have to wear theirs.

Does a motoconcho driver with a helmet and the car driver wearing his seat belt drive more safely? I think not!

This is a third world country and when these rules are passed they are full of good intentions but the practicality of them is questionable.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
As I see it as a former motorcycle owner, you are much more aware of your surroundings without a helmet.
I disagree. As someone who didn't wear a helmet for years and now wears one like some wear a seat belt-I can't get into a carand not buckle up-I am no less aware of my surroundings with one than without.

And here's another secret to increased awareness: ear plugs. Quiet the engine, road and wind noise and your senses aren't overwhelmed. MUCH easier to become more aware.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
This is a third world country and when these rules are passed they are full of good intentions but the practicality of them is questionable.

What's so impractical about the helmet rule? Colombia is an example of a third world country where they manage to enforce it quite thoroughly: bikes are everywhere there and I haven't seen a single rider or bike passenger without a helmet (and also a light-reflecting jacket at night).

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
It's a season thing... Every couple of months they come back into fashion, coincidentally just at the time when Amets are looking for a little extra pocket money.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
What's so impractical about the helmet rule? Colombia is an example of a third world country where they manage to enforce it quite thoroughly: bikes are everywhere there and I haven't seen a single rider or bike passenger without a helmet (and also a light-reflecting jacket at night).

Trust me they could enforce it they wanted to, but it would take continuous enforcement (no let up) to change a culture that's been operating like this for many decades. Do you know then a Dominican buys a motorcycle the first thing he/she does is take the mirrors and the silencer off, because they view it as so uncool to have these things. Same thing with the helmet...it's not cool to wear a helmet.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
The fact is mike l, you look better with a helmut on. Plus you're more aerodynamic.

That may be true as my black helmet makes me look like I have hair but the aerodynamic part is wrong because the helmet blows off my head when there is a strong wind which sweeps from east to west as I never use the chin strap.

Once I pass the Amet boys off comes the helmet and that is where the wind is the strongest!

If I had a motorcycle instead of a scooter I would wear a hlemet , leathers etc but I never drive faster than I could bicycle so these are calculated risks on my part and so far so good and this is the reason for a scooter instead of a motorcycle.

I knew I made a mistake in posting this

For those that have never enjoyed the expierience I suggest you refrain from posting

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Mike, I 100% agree with you. And please put that helmet on your brews. They need protecting.

Anybody who lives here, knows Mike and his scooter, and the speeds he drives...

What about the stupid laws in Illinois in the eighties, where you either had to wear a helmet or sunglasses???

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
If I had a motorcycle instead of a scooter I would wear a hlemet , leathers etc but I never drive faster than I could bicycle so these are calculated risks on my part and so far so good and this is the reason for a scooter instead of a motorcycle.
It's a common misconception that speed necessitates the need for a helmet.

Not the case at all.

Serious injury or death can occur if the unprotected head hits a hard surface falling from 4 feet. It wouldn't matter if the 4 feet is from a scooter or a V-8 Big Dog.

The speed simply mitigates the severity.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
My friend told me the other day that they had rescinded the helmet law, because in their opinion why should the driver where the helmet and the other 42 people on the back of his bike don't need to wear anything...... I did notice that 95 percent of the moto's are now obeying the traffic light at Playero now..... so maybe a trade-off?? who knows

I do know one thing that people should wear helmets even on scooters....my friend would be alive if he had his helmet on when driving his scooter between Cabarete and Sabaneta......

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
At 70 miles an hour yer gonna be at St Pete's door if you go down, whether your brains are wrapped in a pretty plastic box or not.
Der Fish
Not necessarily. Look at the Moto GP guys. They crash all the time at speed.

Most motorcycle deaths don't happen at high speed.

You can die on a motorcycle going 10 mph...without a helmet.