Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Marriage and Last names

I recently got married in the Dominican Republic through a civil judge. My wife wanted to take my last name as her primary last name and drop hers. But from I what I can see so far the civil judge and the people that handle the legalization of la "Acta De Matrimonio" are telling her that this is not an option for her. Here is an example. Her name before getting married (changed) for security reasons... Maria Guzman Martinez, My name simply Jose Pirilo (a US citizen) so we both agreed to have her married name to be Maria Pirilo, but instead what they did in DR was Maria Guzman Martinez de Pirilo, which we don't want. According to some research, this practice of using "de" means property of" and it is something that was practiced in the medieval times. Some countries like Peru and Dominican Republic still use it but are facing it out. Any advice on how to get that name change to reflect what we both want.

Thank you for your time

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I would very much like to know this as well. In addition the son my wife and I have, his last name is hypenated with both our last names, my last name being first. When he starts school I want him to have my last name only, as well as my wife. Can I just do it although his birth certificate states both of our last names?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Mistcoz; Hi, good no# 1 post, in Latin America(D.R.) in general a woman dont loose her last name when she marries, so much for macho culture, and their children will use both apellidos last names (father's first).
    DE is not always a sign of property or ownership is just a connection to husband.
    This practice will insure a continuation of a last name for both sides, a good thing for woman that want to continue their family name.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

That's what her brothers are for...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jad604 View Post
    I would very much like to know this as well. In addition the son my wife and I have, his last name is hypenated with both our last names, my last name being first. When he starts school I want him to have my last name only, as well as my wife. Can I just do it although his birth certificate states both of our last names?
    I don't know about simplifying your wife's name, but I can tell you that I'm an American citizen, married here in the DR, and when our daughter was born in 2006, I made sure her name on her birth documents was kept simple at the private clinic where she was born, the Civil office, the US Consulate when I applied for both her US Passport and CROB and the school she attends as well. This is what we both wanted and never had a problem with any of the mentioned agencies. In your case, both names are recorded on his birth certificates, so I think you may not be able to enroll him in school with just your last name. But, there is no harm in trying.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

My husband has four brothers - all of their wives still have their maiden names with "de" husband's surname. They don't use the husband's surname for anything. His sister, who lives in Philadelphia and has been married twice (once in DR, once in NYC), still uses only her birth name. These are solidly middle/upper middle class people. I am the only wife who uses her husband's surname, but we were married in NY.

What they are suggesting to the OP is the norm. Maybe she wanted to take his surname to be more American/Canadian/European?

Administrator
    DR1.com

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

That's why you see 6 Spanish last names on some people. They have been married a few times.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend who tlles me that he carries the name of his mother till eternity.

Jose Escondiso Mare (changed for anonimity)

his mother maiden name if Mare,,

so what is with this??

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Wud, that is true. My husband carries his father's surname first, followed by his mother's surname. All Dominicans do, unless their father is unknown or did not acknowledge the child, then they have only the mother's surname. In DR, that's for life. His passport, cedula, driver's license, etc., all have both names. When we got married, he already had a US Social Security card - with both names. Not hyphenated. He went to the Social Security office to have them drop his mother's surname from his US papers.

Administrator
    DR1.com

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I had trouble with a Dominican bank. They insisted on using my middle name and last name as my two surnames. I had to remember to have them look me up on the computer by my middle name (they were using it as a surname).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast