Registering with your National Consul in the Dominican Republic (Pro's & Con's)

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
What are the main advantages/disadvantages of registering with your National Consul/Embassy here?

Many thanks

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
If you are going to live in the DR full time and get residency then little.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you are wanted by the police in your home country,DON't!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CC is right about that.

But for the rest of us there is no reason not to.

When something is going on in the country that it is felt we should know about, the consulate sends emails. If there was a disaster, like a major earthquake, they would know we were here. Might make it easier for family at home to find out about us. etc., etc. I'm not wanted by the police in the US and am registered with the consulate. I don't know that this has ever helped me, but it has never harmed me either. And there may someday be a time when I am glad that I did.

The fact that you have residency, which I do, has nothing to do with registering. The question is do you want the consulate to know you are here and where you are in the event there is ever a time when you would like them to know you are here.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Make sure you register so they know where to find you when they come up with some new tax to collect.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
What are the main advantages/disadvantages of registering with your National Consul/Embassy here?

Many thanks
You never know when there is going to be an anti-US military coup taking over. The last time, in 1965, the US citizens were offered protection by US troops and evacuated by the State Department. With over 100,000 US citizens living in the DR, it helps if the Consul knows where to find you.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You never know when there is going to be an anti-US military coup taking over. The last time, in 1965, the US citizens were offered protection by US troops and evacuated by the State Department. With over 100,000 US citizens living in the DR, it helps if the Consul knows where to find you.

Give me an honest answer on this please. Which is more likely, a Military coup aimed at Americans, or the US trying to collect more tax from it's citizens?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Give me an honest answer on this please. Which is more likely, a Military coup aimed at Americans, or the US trying to collect more tax from it's citizens?

A coup, should there ever be one, would not be aimed at Americans. But Americans living here would be caught in the cross fire.

But it is not just coups that make it helpful to have the Consulate know where we are, it is also natural disasters. How many times have we watched CNN reports on major earthquakes, tsunamis, Cat 4 or 5 hurricanes and heard reported the efforts being made by the US embassy to locate citizens of its country. The DR in general and the North Coast in particular is sitting on a major fault line and the "big one" is long overdue. Having been through a 6.4 earthquake here I know that earthquakes are possible. I also know the severe damage that a powerful hurricane can do.

I file my tax returns, my conscience is clear. I registered with the Consulate a long time ago because I want them to know that I am here. Not because I expect good service when I go to renew my passport or something else, but as insurance in the event something happens when having somebody know that I need to be accounted for can make a difference.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
The DR in general and the North Coast in particular is sitting on a major fault line and the "big one" is long overdue.

Oh S**t, for real!?!? I knew about the fault line, but not about being overdue for a catastrophic earthquake!!!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Registered with the UK Embassy so they will inform my family in England of any disaster than may befall me - nothing more sinister than that!!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Registered with the UK Embassy so they will inform my family in England of any disaster than may befall me - nothing more sinister than that!!

It also works in the reverse direction. IF a family member in your home country (or most other countries come to think of it) has an accident & you are needed to handle the emergency, one call to the Embassy/Consulate in the country that that family member is residing in will contact the appropriate Embassy/Consulate in the DR.

Lawyers handling the Estates of deceased friends where that deceased friend has bequeathed monies to you but is unaware of an address to contact you, will generally go to the various Embassies in the country where YOU were last known to be & pass on the good (& bad) news. Think along these GOOD lines if you have a clear conscience & Register.

Oh YES. ............ If anything untoward should happen to you (False imprisonment, accident, legal troubles that you need help with) then being known by the Consul/Embassy goes a long way to being helped more efficiently. ~ Grahame

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Don't know about other countries, but with Canada, your registration is protected by the Privacy Act. They can't share that info with other government entities unless it is really, really necessary. The info is only used in case of an emergency and as a general statistic so they can know how many wardens they need in each area to be able to handle an emergency as efficiently as possible. And it's true, according to scientists the DR is well overdue for a major earthquake.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
In the case of the American Embassy in SD, is there a way to register online, or do you have to go to the Embassy and wait on lines to register?

las2137

Sep 1, 2008

I'm sure the State Department has better things to do than chase down tax dodgers for the IRS- two separate entities as far the the government is concerned.

I registered and found the US embassy emails quite helpful while living in Santo Domingo. They would warn of upcoming protests, natural disasters, etc. But really, the biggest advantage is the one already listed: should a disaster occur (natural or man-made) and you need to be evacuated, your evacuation will be greatly facilitated if you are registered.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I'm sure the State Department has better things to do than chase down tax dodgers for the IRS- two separate entities as far the the government is concerned.

I registered and found the US embassy emails quite helpful while living in Santo Domingo. They would warn of upcoming protests, natural disasters, etc. But really, the biggest advantage is the one already listed: should a disaster occur (natural or man-made) and you need to be evacuated, your evacuation will be greatly facilitated if you are registered.

Maybe you missed the thread on the US wanting the DR banks to turn over all information on US citizen’s deposits.

Is that to help facilitate evacuation in case of an emergency?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Appreciate what you are saying Sky and how it applies to you but not everyone on these forums are American you know!!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Maybe you missed the thread on the US wanting the DR banks to turn over all information on US citizen?s deposits.

Is that to help facilitate evacuation in case of an emergency?

SKY, the intent of this thread is not to force you to register with the Consulate. I don't see how being registered with the Consulate has anything to do with any requirement for the banks to provide info to IRS. When you open a bank account, the bank wants to see your passport. The account holder is in their books as an American citizen regardless of whether you are registered.

Likewise when you travel to the US. Your passport info is fed into the system of the US government. I would not be surprised if they had a way to cross check with IRS to see if tax returns are being filed.

If you choose not to register with the Consulate, that is your business. As you can see from the responses, many of us think otherwise.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i guess you can say i am registered. that is both the honorary consul in DR and the consul in bogota know who i am and where i am. miesposo does not speak polish so it will be up to polish government officials to inform my family about any misadventure that may befall me.