dominican coffee maker frustrations

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
It seems every morning the first pot turns out so well, i wash it out well and make sure the flow is correct and unclogged but the second batch never perks to the top part. This wouldn't bother me so much except the coffee which we got in san jose de ocoa is so good i hate to waste it :( any suggestions? Thanks, Ben

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Are you still in DR? If not, buy a small Bialetti [Italian] coffeemaker. Sounds like something wrong with the pot.

At home I have a rather pricy Saeco coffeemaker that almost hands me the cup - but the BEST coffee I've ever had is my mother-in-law's, Dominican style. She boils the coffee and sugar together in a small pot, then strains it through a contraption that looks like an old sock hanging from a metal frame. After it all strains through, she pours it through a second time.

Cheap, time-proven method, and it WORKS.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I concur with Alter Ego.

If you want to get two pots out of a single measure of coffee grounds, you need to re-settle the coffee, an maybe put just a tad more of fresh coffee...should work..The grecas are wonderful things, just the O rings needs cleaning and changing from time to time.

HB

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
..The grecas are wonderful things, just the O rings needs cleaning and changing from time to time.

Ive had some of the best coffee from a greca!

They come with a rubber O ring that degrades over time. In most latin stores in Miami they sell this new O ring that is made from silicone. Man! That thing takes a lickin and keeps on tickin!

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Also, the metal strainer can be deformed, causing a bad seal, by banging it on the wall to get the old grounds out. They are both (rubber gasket and strainer) sold at hardware stores.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The 2 screens are very fine. It needs to be cleaned after every pot very well, all resudue removed thoroughly, to percolate the coffee.

Most likely that is the problem.

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
thanks to all for replying. i think it must be the gasket, lucky for us the hotel had a regular "american type" coffee maker so my good stuff will no longer be wasted. just seems strange that the first pot turned out so well in the other one and every additional attempt turned out not perking. next morning the same thing. i did clean it out very well each time :) ben

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
thanks to all for replying. i think it must be the gasket, lucky for us the hotel had a regular "american type" coffee maker so my good stuff will no longer be wasted. just seems strange that the first pot turned out so well in the other one and every additional attempt turned out not perking. next morning the same thing. i did clean it out very well each time :) ben
A thought: is the pot still warm/hot when you put it together?

Generally the top and bottom parts are a tight fit: they have to be to prevent pressure from escaping. One thought would be that if the top and bottom parts are still warm/hot, the fit is even tighter due to metal expansion, they are not screwed in as tight due to friction and the gasket isn't seated well.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I use a "French Press"(Nothing Sexual!) to make my "Cafe Dominicano".
It has the advantage of not "boiling" the coffee.
A "Greka" is ok,and pouring boiling water through the ground coffee in a filter is "OK" too,but "Purists" prefer the "French Press"!
Cris ColonCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
We use a Greca every day but just swill it out with running water and consistently get good coffee, we change the gasket at least once a year. I think the secret is, don't do as they do with cafe espresso machines, do not tamp the milled coffee grains down. The old grains don't half do the roses in the garden good!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Several Dominicans I know say that coffee made in a cafetiere (French press) is the closest they have tasted to campo coffee ('old sock' method).