American wants Dominican Visa

Santodomingo

Nov 27, 2011
I'm trying to find out what i have to do, to get a visa for the DR for my son who's 16. He travels there around 10 times a year so a visa would be very good for him.

What kind of visa could he get, what documents does he need? Wwhat does it cost?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Ok, you really do not need a visa to enter the DR you do need a tourist card which expires. If you have residency in the DR you do not need to buy a tourist card every time you enter. Weigh the advantages

What are the advantages to getting a residency?
A resident can work and do business in the Dominican Republic; a non resident cannot do so legally.

Being a resident facilitates a number of business transactions in the DR, including obtaining bank loans and applying for credit.

A resident does not have to post a bond (usually quite high) in court when he decides to sue in the Dominican Republic; a nonresident is required to do so.

A resident can enter the Dominican Republic without having to buy a tourist card; a nonresident must obtain a visa or buy a tourist card.

In case of inheritance, a non-resident beneficiary must pay a 50% surcharge on estate taxes; this surcharge is not applicable to the resident.

A resident is allowed to bring in tax free his household items, ranging from kitchen appliances, to furniture. Article 13 of Law #146-00 expressly exempts from any duty the importation of the personal effects and household goods of foreigners immigrating into the Dominican Republic and of Dominicans coming back home to live permanently after residing abroad for more than two consecutive years. And Law 168 grants a discount that ranges from 20% for one year in your name to 60% for five years on vehicles that will be imported together with your household goods.

A resident does not need to purchase a return ticket when traveling to the DR.

Disadvantages:
A resident is subject to income tax on worldwide income from investments abroad after the third year of residency in the country. However, this applies only to income from financial investments, not to income from other sources such as personal work. Of course, the resident will also pay income tax on Dominican income.

<tbody>
</tbody>
Compare that to a $10.00 tourist card. All depends what he's going there for.

Last edited:

Santodomingo

Nov 27, 2011
Thanks for the overview! I was wondering if there's also such a thing as to become a one year Visa to the DR (He's a student in DC, though), not having to pay the 10$ each time (which isnt the primary reason for hit Visa ofcourse).
I'm asking, cause I was going to take him to the Embassy tomorrow and see what we can do. I
would rather though, be informed as in what could technically be possible for him.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Is your son American only or does he have Dominican roots? I ask because you mentioned the DOMINICAN EMBASSY?

Santodomingo

Nov 27, 2011
He doesn't have dominican roots. the reason he goes there so often is, cause my now fiance lives there. I'd just make going in, staying long in DR more easy. Is there any way for him to get some sort of visa in the embassy?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Maybe someone can tell us if anything has changed but as far as I know he needs to get residency which costs over $2000.00 US mas o menos in order to avoid the tourist card. And residency has to be renewed. If he's only going for visits it's hardly worth it as there are rules and requiremets to obtain residency.

He can overstay the tourist card and pay a small amount on exist

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If one wants to stay 60-90 days, is it possible to extend the tarjeta de truism - and can it be done within the DR?

Thanks

It has been reported that you can extend your tourist visa by visiting Migracion in Santo Domingo.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Stay as long as you want,years even!
When you go through immigration at the airport,they will tell you what your "fine' is.
It costs about 3,000 pesos a year.
STOPworrying! PLEASE!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I'm trying to find out what i have to do, to get a visa for the DR for my son who's 16. He travels there around 10 times a year so a visa would be very good for him.

What kind of visa could he get, what documents does he need? Wwhat does it cost?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Multiple entry visas are usually for business people. Remember that this is a large source of income for the government, and it's much more convenient for them to just process and collect the money at the airport on arrival. They tend to treat everyone as "tourists". Don't think there is a cheaper solution without getting Dominican residency.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Thanks for the answer. I dont mind the $10, a visa would just be nicer though.
What's the difference? If you don't want to fight the line at the airport each time, buy 10 at a time and he is set for the year. There is no expiration from the time you buy the card until you use it.

BTW, anybody remember years ago, the tourist card was attached to a postcard. It made you feel better that at least you got a postcard of the DR for your $10.