Another Gringo Strikes Out To Make It In the DR - Coming 12/27/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexMitchell

Dec 6, 2011
Hello all. It is time I stop being a lurker and finally jump on the boards and make myself known. I have been reading for some time. I really enjoy everyone's comments, debates, disagreements, and arguments.

About me: I am a 31 year old African American. I am recently separated and I figure its time to live out a dream. I speak Spanish well enough. I am going to start in Santo Domingo and see the country from there. I am allotting a month for the trip, and if there is a convincing reason, I will stay. I have met several amigas through amigos.com and dominicancupid.com.

I have taken in all the warnings. I just want to thank everyone for the help and open the forum up once again to anyone looking to meet a cool guy, or discuss the challenges associated with moving to a new country.

I have my own biz that I operate over the net, and I dont need 100% up time, so I am good on money. Though I am open to employment opportunities.

A special thanks to AZB - who tells it like it is. And Graydread.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Well you seem to know that everything posted over the web may not be what it is said to be. Good luck here. Are you looking to live here in Santo Domingo or just travel about?

Softail

Nov 15, 2011
Welcome, Alex, I'm pretty new here myself....and planning my first trip down to the Island in early 2012. I have an online business as well...but I need speed and reliable connections...at least during my peak time of the month, usually three or four 3-4 day stints. I intend to come down early in the year to check out the speed and reliability of internet connectivity.

I have lived the last couple years in Asia (Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam) and, as an American, am looking to find a place outside the Excited States, yet closer to home. I speak passable Spanish and a good bit of French...I was also raised on a farm so am looking forward to enjoying the campo in DR.

Good luck in whatever your dream is in the DR.

Terence

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
If you speak Francais then Las Terrenas is the place to be. Your timing is good as the internet speeds and reliability are making leaps and bounds. Silkglobal is upgrading lines to provide internet television service with enhanced stability. As the area is on its own grid there is a fairly stable power source although they need to do some work on voltage fluctuation but you can get around that one easily. Perfect spot for on line business outside of excited anything.

AlexMitchell

Dec 6, 2011
Yea. I am pretty excited, but also very tenuous. This is a first for me - not traveling - but really jumping out there. Every news story about a robbery or a murder is amplified. But I just have to keep telling myself that I grew up near this stuff. I have been robbed before - in my own neighborhood. I know people who have been murdered here at home. Just can't let the fear of being in a foreign country stop me.

I would say I am 65-70% fluent in Spanish. I have held job positions in the past speaking all Spanish. I have done mortgage closings translating the English to Spanish. Still, there is always more to learn. But I am not worried about the language at all. I have already begun speaking on the phone with some of the mujeres that I have met in the country.

I hope to be an active member of this community. I like to mix it up, but in a respectful way. Im going to make it a goal to make 100 posts before I leave.

I am going to Santo Domingo with a dollar and a dream - LIVE IN ANOTHER COUNTRY!

AlexMitchell

Dec 6, 2011
Well you seem to know that everything posted over the web may not be what it is said to be. Good luck here. Are you looking to live here in Santo Domingo or just travel about?

That is the plan. Fly in - get a hotel room for 3 nights. Look for a daily or weekly rental and then just go from there.

I already have a date for New Years. You all are right - multiple kids does seem to be quite common, but I am 31 - I am ready for some kids if it comes to it.

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
Dr Move

That is the plan. Fly in - get a hotel room for 3 nights. Look for a daily or weekly rental and then just go from there.

I already have a date for New Years. You all are right - multiple kids does seem to be quite common, but I am 31 - I am ready for some kids if it comes to it.

Advice ??

DO NOT get serious (marriage-kids) with any woman for at least two years until you understand the culture.

In other words, rent everything - buy nothing. You are most likely going to disregard this advice, get married quickly and then come back to this site complaining about the aftermath.

Initially you will be overwhelmed by the hot babes. It will take a while to recognize that they are a dime a dozen in the DR. therefore, there is no reason to rush.

Do Not get serious with any woman - no marriage - at least two years.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Have "kdolo's" post tatooed on your right forearm!
Everytime you have a "drink" read it!
Know the HUGE difference between sex,and true love!
It's EASY to find SEX in the DR,in fact,SEX will find you.
"True Love", not so easy!
Always remember the difference between "True Love",and "Herpes".
"Herpes" lasts forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AlexMitchell

Dec 6, 2011
Advice ??

DO NOT get serious (marriage-kids) with any woman for at least two years until you understand the culture.

In other words, rent everything - buy nothing. You are most likely going to disregard this advice, get married quickly and then come back to this site complaining about the aftermath.

Initially you will be overwhelmed by the hot babes. It will take a while to recognize that they are a dime a dozen in the DR. therefore, there is no reason to rush.

Do Not get serious with any woman - no marriage - at least two years.

OK. I'll give you my word - no getting married within the first 2 months of arrival. LOL ( or should I say jajajajaja)

But no, really I feel you. I just had a instant messenger spat 10 minutes ago with an "amiga." She is a really cute girl. We have chatted on video and on the phone and I have seen pics. she asked me to buy her some fake human hair and mail it asap as she is having a hair emergency. She offered to send me the money to pay for it. I jokingly said Ok - then you will owe me a favor. She responds in a sarcastic tone that men never ask women for a favor. This is after the same chica tried to get smart the other day on other petty ish.

I admit - I thought she was cool. She's a mom, but owns her own clothing shop and is pretty independent. She even has a car and lives in Punta Cana.

But, you are right, gotta really get to know them first.

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
Is it just me or isn't gringo a word used for white people!? I mean, dude saying he's African American yet refers himself as a gringo?!?!

:confused:

Softail

Nov 15, 2011
Just can't let the fear of being in a foreign country stop me.

Alex, I have been fortunate to have worked overseas in many countries and traveled in many more. Whenever my frightened Wisconsin relatives and friends ask me "aren't you afraid to go to some of those countries where you stick out so much? You could get robbed or kidnapped".

My reply is always the same: I have never been anywhere outside the use where I felt as endangered as I have in parts of the USA, like Chicago or Philly, for instance. And I'm not the kind of person who hides away when I am abroad...I always mix it up wherever I go.

Outside of obvious war zones, imo, the USA is one of the most dangerous and violent societies in the world.

You will do just fine -- enjoy your new adventure, and I hope I run into you there in 2012.

Last edited:

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Is it just me or isn't gringo a word used for white people!? I mean, dude saying he's African American yet refers himself as a gringo?!?!

:confused:

In Latin America everybody from the US, white, red, yellow, brown and black are "GRINGOs".

They don't understand the imaginary differences which consume us. Don't try to explain it to them either. They will only laugh at you.

Feb 7, 2007
In Latin America everybody from the US, white, red, yellow, brown and black are "GRINGOs".

They don't understand the imaginary differences which consume us. Don't try to explain it to them either. They will only laugh at you.

So are USA "native" born (Generation Y and Z) Latinos/Hispanics "GRINGO's" as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.