Plus size clothing

loveydovey

Dec 16, 2011
Anyone know of any good places around Puerto Plata/Sosua that has some actual plus sized women's clothing?? Not looking for old lady clothes, I'm in my 20's and just want some decent clothing to go out in, but can't seem to find any good stores to look in. Looking for around size 18-20 dresses, 1x-2x shirts, and 16-18 jeans. I've gotten some jeans before in Puerto Plata and they were a size 22 and barely fit!! Help please?! I'm willing to make a day trip to Santiago if there is stores there worth the trip!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I've seen some stores in Santo Domingo malls that specialize in plus sizes, but I don't know how true-to-size they are.

I suspect that there must be a mall or two in Santiago that has them too. Good luck!

loveydovey

Dec 16, 2011
Santo Domingo would be way to far of a trip for me, I think I would be better off buying online and paying to have it shipped in, although it's pricey. Thank you!

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Try ropa de paca...

If you are looking for cheap plus sized clothes, and have enough time and patience, it's worth finding a local person who sells clothes from a paca, those giant packs of used clothing brought in from Haiti. Some people sell from their house, others from the market places. These people are usually located in the barrios. But ask around, everyone knows someone that sells them.

Most of the clothes in there come from the U.S., so there are a lot of plus sizes. You have to be willing to dig through the piles of clothing to find a good item and not be too picky as far as color/style. Sometimes you can get something nearly brand new and name brand!

If you are going to be around a while and in the market for those clothes, it's worth getting to know someone that sells paca clothes, because they can pre-sort the sizes you are looking for out for you, assuming you are willing to buy and pay a slightly higher price.

I'm not sure if the paca ladies charge more for plused sized clothes, since they tend to charge by quality of item but also take weight of the article into account (because they buy clothes by the pound and need to turn a profit). Prices for paca clothes for me have ranged from 20 pesos to 100 an item.

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
Don't do the trip to Santo Domingo.. The plus size clothing stores suck.. When I first got here I searched and searched and found it much better to buy online and have it shipped here.. I've lost 60 pounds though since being here, and can finally fit into the Dominican sizes.. but their 3xl was about the size of an american "L" so that was always discouraging.. Good luck! (If you REALLY look, you can find a few things in some stores all over the place but you have to search and search.. I always hated how sales people tried to squeeze me into smaller sizes.. no thank you.. Good luck

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Now, I dont know who was more rude, you or tamborista?

Hardly. There are a lot of great plus-sized clothing finds, and clothing in general, in the pacas. You'd never know that a lot of professional folks get a lot of their business casual wear and dress clothes from there.

Some people don't have an issue w/ buying used clothes (in the DR or elsewhere), and actually enjoy hunting for a good find. I am one of those people and was just throwing the option out there based on experience.

I'd go with tamborista if I were you.

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
There is a Divas Plus in Santo Domingo on the Conde, I would think they would have one in Puerto Plata as well.. Super cute clothes...

@la_Barbie...Lol, love it!

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I can understand the OP's question very well. For me it is especially the lenght of trousers for example. I have long legs and all trousers here although the correct size are way to short for me. For now I buy some of my clothing online and let it be shipped but a good store here with different 'off' sizes and 'off' lenght on the NC would be nice.

As for the suggestion of Minerva. I used to shop second hand mark clothing all the time in Europe. The difference is that you bought those in a shop and here they are to be found, as said, on markets. But I picked some very nice, some even never worn mark clothing for a fraction of the price. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Acira

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
But if these clothes come from Haiti as I believe someone posted earlier aren't they clothes which were donated py people for Haitian Relief?

In S Florida after a couple of different hurricanes there would be piles of donated clothes and I'd see people there sorting thru it to find stuff to sell in their used clothing stores. It looks to me that the same thing app;ies here. No?
Der Fish

You can look at a different angle on that also. What if those clothes are indeed sold through to second hand clothes dealers and the person in Haiti gets money for that...money where they can buy food with.
You see the same thing on markets all over Africa also, loads of little stalls piled up with t-shirts and all kind of Western clothing. For sure the same reasoning there, if I can sell it, I can get me some food or other basic goods.

loveydovey

Dec 16, 2011
Don't do the trip to Santo Domingo.. The plus size clothing stores suck.. When I first got here I searched and searched and found it much better to buy online and have it shipped here.. I've lost 60 pounds though since being here, and can finally fit into the Dominican sizes.. but their 3xl was about the size of an american "L" so that was always discouraging.. Good luck! (If you REALLY look, you can find a few things in some stores all over the place but you have to search and search.. I always hated how sales people tried to squeeze me into smaller sizes.. no thank you.. Good luck

Haha I too, have lost 60 lbs since being here. Weird, huh?? I HATE when they try to fit me into something that clearly DOES NOT fit!!!! Not to sound rude, but I see larger Domincan girls around my size all over the place, I just wanna know where they get their clothes from!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think large dominican ladies do gettheir clothes in regular shops and then use pure force to put them on :)

i cannot help you with a shop, girl, but you may visit a fabric store in POP (on calle beller, first corner after central park, just opposite viva, close to helados bon). they have a great choice of fabrics there. further down the street there is sasteria (also on the corner, small wooden house). you could have some clothes made for you. they will be more expensive, sure, but at least they will fit you perfectly well. something to consider if you want a nice dress or some formal clothing.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
There is a tent maker in Gaspar Hernandez!

Really are you serious with this??? BAD on you.. I am a size 10-12 depending on the garment. I am 5'8" 160 lbs ( ok so yes I told). I HATE the way the clothes here fit. Honestly I have not found a place yet. When I go back to the US I shop there due to the quality of the clothes for my size. So now let me go back to eating my bizcocho, helado, dulce..

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Maybe is time to start eating healthier. lot of fresh vegetables here and fish, and cheaper than McDonald

Really that is the best you have..I bet I eat better than you do however what do you consider " healthy "??

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Really are you serious with this??? BAD on you.. I am a size 10-12 depending on the garment. I am 5'8" 160 lbs ( ok so yes I told). I HATE the way the clothes here fit. Honestly I have not found a place yet. When I go back to the US I shop there due to the quality of the clothes for my size. So now let me go back to eating my bizcocho, helado, dulce..

Tambo: I know you just had a birthday, but get off this trail of insults...please?

HB

Last edited by a moderator:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Try "La Sirena" on the "Malecon" in Puerto Plata.
The problem I see,is that a Dominican women with a 40 inch waste,wears jeans with a 20 inch inseam!
American plus size is "pear shapped",Dominican is "pumpkin shapped"!
When I first came to the DR about 30 years ago,I liked "Skinny" Dominicanas,now I need to pretend I am making bread dough
while I make love!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC