best coffee

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
Ok... Alter ego was so helpful i hate to complain, BUT.... she forgot to remind me how great the coffee from San Jose de Ocoa was and to buy EXTRA while i was there. Now i am hooked! As if the climate, topography and beautiful people are not enough. Anyone have any info on cafe samir coffee and where i could possibly purchase in Las Terrenas (i'll be here another 2 days) or can order online? Any help would be appreciated:glasses:... Ben

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
All Dominican coffee is wonderful. If you don't want to hassle just go to the supermarket and buy it there.
I buy Santo Dominican brand.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
The best coffee on this island, by far, is grown by my family up in the mountains of Bonao, past Blanco, near the new dam, on the out skirts of the Cibao Valley. Before i tell you the name of it let me just state for the record that it's one of the world's most expensive, low production varietes of coffee. it is made from the beans of coffee berries which have been eaten by a Dominican feral cat (Dominican Hermaphroditus) after its passed through its digestive tract. my family keep about two dozen of the cats around on the farm. i'm not joking. the cats eat the berries for its very fleshy pulp. in its stomach proteolytic enzymes seep into the beans, making shorter peptides and more free amino acids. passing through the feral cats intestines the beans are then defecated, keeping their shape. my unlces and cousins walk around gathering them up off the ground, as well as undigging them after the cats have instinctively tried to bury their poop in a sand box that we built for them to poop in. my uncles thoroughly wash the beans, then sun dry them, then lightly roast and brew them; afterwards you get an aromatc coffee with much less bitterness and just a slight after taste of...yep, you guessed it flowers. we call the coffee "Poppi Luwak." No, it's not a joke.

My family export the coffee for US $300 a pound.

Sincerely, Frank

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
A coffee grinder is great. Also try giving some beans a secondary roast. DR coffee also makes great espresso in domestic machines. About 100 varieties of coffee are available. Prices range from 3-4 dollars a lb.

pi2

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
All Dominican coffee is wonderful. If you don't want to hassle just go to the supermarket and buy it there.
I buy Santo Dominican brand.
Yes ad no.

Coffee is graded. Not all coffee is equal.

90+% of the superior grades of Dominican coffee are exported. What remains in the DR is generally the poorer grades. In fact, much if not most of the local coffee is processed from very poor quality, non-export grade beans, 10-12 screen with faults. When you taste some 15+ screen coffee with few faults, you'll know the difference.

There is one exception, but it is in limited distribution.

sunshinedon

Jul 28, 2012
The best coffee on this island, by far, is grown by my family up in the mountains of Bonao, past Blanco, near the new dam, on the out skirts of the Cibao Valley. Before i tell you the name of it let me just state for the record that it's one of the world's most expensive, low production varietes of coffee. it is made from the beans of coffee berries which have been eaten by a Dominican feral cat (Dominican Hermaphroditus) after its passed through its digestive tract. my family keep about two dozen of the cats around on the farm. i'm not joking. the cats eat the berries for its very fleshy pulp. in its stomach proteolytic enzymes seep into the beans, making shorter peptides and more free amino acids. passing through the feral cats intestines the beans are then defecated, keeping their shape. my unlces and cousins walk around gathering them up off the ground, as well as undigging them after the cats have instinctively tried to bury their poop in a sand box that we built for them to poop in. my uncles thoroughly wash the beans, then sun dry them, then lightly roast and brew them; afterwards you get an aromatc coffee with much less bitterness and just a slight after taste of...yep, you guessed it flowers. we call the coffee "Poppi Luwak." No, it's not a joke.

Sincerely, Frank
Do you know where I can buy green coffee beans thanks

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012

Sincerely, Frank

I was believing that until the Latin name was provided. Lmao. :)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
that sounds great I would be interested in 20+ pounds I usually order on line to get it but much better to buy direct.
Shipping small amounts to the states is very pricy.

I can get you some next time you're in the DR and you can take it back in your luggage. Much less expensive that way.

The season is almost over, but I can still get 20 lbs. of 17+ screen beans, the best of the best.

Zanahoria

Nov 25, 2006
Have you been watching 'the bucket list' once too often? I just love people who claim their things are the best. Its called being biast, if its so good, invite me to taste a cup and I'll be happy give an unbiast opinion to the world...