Getting ready to apply for K-1 fiance visa

tilinmarte

Aug 29, 2007
I am getting ready to apply for my fiance visa for my girlfriend we have been dating for almost 2 years . I live in Miami and we are both from Santiago ,DR .I am dominican myself . I'm debating if I should pay the lawyer fee to file for me or should I do it myself. Its not very long the I-129form. Also the instructions are about 7 pages. I will be posting more and researching more info. I have a while that I don't post here but been a member for awhile . Im trying to figure if the risk is worth it but I also dont want a lawyer that doesnt care or doesnt know his stuff so I have to check here in Miami for reputable. I read a couple of threads but today I started my research . My girlfriend is wonderful meet all her family we get along great . We are both familiar with dominican culture which we both love. She also knows english as well been practicing and doing very well.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
I am getting ready to apply for my fiance visa for my girlfriend we have been dating for almost 2 years . I live in Miami and we are both from Santiago ,DR .I am dominican myself . I'm debating if I should pay the lawyer fee to file for me or should I do it myself. Its not very long the I-129form. Also the instructions are about 7 pages. I will be posting more and researching more info. I have a while that I don't post here but been a member for awhile . Im trying to figure if the risk is worth it but I also dont want a lawyer that doesnt care or doesnt know his stuff so I have to check here in Miami for reputable. I read a couple of threads but today I started my research . My girlfriend is wonderful meet all her family we get along great . We are both familiar with dominican culture which we both love. She also knows english as well been practicing and doing very well.

Do it yourself.

Colombianonrd

Oct 25, 2011
Do it yourself, I filed a fiance petition in the past and filed the paperwork myself, and I dont consider myself a genious. I did not have any problems. just follow the instructions, and you should not have any problems a lawyer is going to poke your eyes out. .. If you are a US Citizen the process is Easy and Fast,, goodluck..

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
As they said, do it yourself. Just make sure you fill out everything clearly and correctly and give them all the documentation they ask for. Also at Interview time you MUST go along as well. Have plenty of photos, western union receipts and documentation.

May 12, 2005
Definitely do it yourself. A lawyer for that is a waste of money. Also, the consulate is being extra tough on K1s. They seem to have the highest incidence of fraud. Marry your other half and file for a CR1. It will save money and hassles.

dcblue

Jul 21, 2008
I did a K1 visa this year and had no problems. I am a U.S. citizen. I looked at DominicanstotheUsa.com and VisaJourney.com. Lots of good information on both sites although visajourney is a bit more focused on the process itself. Visajourney has sample templates and a dominican section with reviews of the interview process at the consulate.

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
You'll be much better off marrying her and applying for a CR-1 visa instead of the K1. They have been VERY hard on K1 applicants lately and the CR-1 process is not any slower than the K visa. Also, with the K visa she will be able to work right away and travel which she would have to wait months for if you do the K1 visa. We will be glad to help you on our site if you want.

-Tim
Admin, Dominicanstotheusa.com