Introduction -new member

tolapa46

Sep 26, 2011
Hello everyone. I have been following DR-1 for about two years now and have found it both a source of good information and entertainment. In particular, the ex-pats who have a rather interesting view of the world and in particular about Dominicans and Dominicans abroad. I am married to a man from Puerto Plata and we have been researching future possibilities (within next 10 years or so) related to eventually living part time between our two home countries and any suggestions folks have related to real estate options, best locations, legalities, taxes, barriers and benefits would be appreciated. Looking forward to the chatter.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Welcome to DR1. I'm glad you decided to come out of the closet.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Welcome. The idea of splitting time between the DR and outside the country is complicated by the fact that you cannot leave your property in the DR alone. Consider a condo style dwelling if you are not here full time or do not have someone that will take constant care of your place when you are not here.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Welcome to DR1!

Seems you have two things in your favor for living here, already being married to a Dominican (with all the knowledge that comes with that) and a long time frame in which to plan.

Good luck to you, look forward to seeing your contributions. (maybe in the Mars & Venus section?)

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Welcome. The idea of splitting time between the DR and outside the country is complicated by the fact that you cannot leave your property in the DR alone. Consider a condo style dwelling if you are not here full time or do not have someone that will take constant care of your place when you are not here.
I'm sure he has plenty of relatives who will make themselves at home.

Big_Poppi2

Mar 30, 2008
Aguilas Cibae?as
www.facebook.com
Hi, tolapa46, welcome, I been on here since about 2008 and I am a newbie too, just felt like sharing that and my wife is from the philippines, so we are really pulled on where to live out our retirement. Though I like the philippines and their food, people, culture and some of their ways, Dominican Republic is my home and my Heart. I could never leave her. But its hard, hopefully we can come to some sort of truce, ha, ha, ha, good luck to you and take care, God bless
Biggs

tolapa46

Sep 26, 2011
Thank you for the welcomes and yes the closet was getting dark and a tad limited for entertainment:) We are looking at all options for property in the DR including pre-existing homes, land and building, condos and apartments. I have had very generous Canadian family member offers to 'house sit' while we are not there ( I am from a large sibling group of 9 and my parents are from big families so no shortage of my own family to move in), and of course offers from the Dominican family side as well. Don't you just love when family steps up to the plate and offers their help to take care of things for you in times of need (not sure our need or their's)! My mother in particular has been pushing the issue and telling us to hurry up and get our home sorted out in the DR so she can have her yearly winter place all lined up, and by the way "don't we know she isnt getting any younger and get a move on already." Whatever we decide will depend on the market, amenities, additional and unexpected costs associated with living in the DR and family needs. I was raised Italian so I get the family responsibility over the generations as we have done that in my family and my husband was raised the same so whatever happens we will be surrounded by the "familia" and be darn happy with the situation. I have spent time during all the seasons there so I know when I don't want to be in the DR and the same goes for our home in Canada (Edmonton). Looking forward to the chats and news updates. I enjoy this forum and often find good solid information here so really hoping to continue to read the comments.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Something about you seems familiar, maybe we met awhile ago or are really long last cousins? No worry, I'd be happy to catch up with you in your condo in the DR once it's bought!! Just let me know when it's empty:)

Seriously, love your attitude, and imagine you enjoying many years in the DR. What a blessing to have the family you describe.