*** DR1 Hackers ***

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It has come to our attention that a contributor of this board have been running port scans on other peoples IP's. Obviously they are not very good at what they have been trying to do, as they didn't spoof their IP address. Basically they left their foot prints all over :)

Their ISP and the feds have been informed of their illegal activity.

What is a port scan and how to protect yourself?

The following articles do a much better job than me to explain what you need to do to protect yourself.

http://zonealarm.com/pressroom/news/wallstreet_12901.html

http://www.fortune.com/indexw.jhtml?channel=artcol.jhtml&doc_id=202212

S

Sarah

Definition of "port scan" please Rob...

I scanned the articles and still don't quite understand. Thanks!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This should help....

What are ports?
Ports are used by a computer to control which service is accessed when establishing a connection. If you are communicating with Secure Design for example and you are sending e-mail, your computer establishes a connection to port 25 (SMTP) however if you are accessing a web page, you must connect to port 80 (http). Ports on a computer range from 1 to 65535. Ports under 1024 are reserved for system processes such as mail and web servers. Ports above 1024 are often used for outbound connections.

What is port scanning?
When establishing a connection to a server, your computer specifies the server address and the target port number. When the request is made, the server responds by allowing the connection or responding with a "port closed" message.

Port scanning is a method of probing a computer to see what ports are open. This is usually a brute force operation where one simply tries to establish a connection to each and every port on the target computer. When a connection is established, the caller makes note of the port number and continues on. The caller can then examine these ports later to see if any known security holes exist.

Should I care?
In short, YES. Even if you are on a basic dialup internet account, you need to take precautions to ensure your computer is not broken into. Don't make the assumption that nobody will find your "one little computer in the vast expanse of the internet." Many programs exist that will allow miscreants to automatically scan large blocks of internet addresses. Some only look for Windows file sharing ports, while others look for any open port. Once your computer is found, you are at the mercy of their whim.

If your computer is insecure, files can be stolen from your disk drive. If you have used an online banking program, or personal finance software, your bank account numbers and credit card information can be stolen. Passwords are also stored on your computer's disk drive and can be stolen just as easily by copying the password file.

Even if you have no "important" information worth stealing from your computer, you are still at risk of another type of break-in. A cracker may also install a Denial of Service zombie, which will hijack your computer and instruct it to send garbage packets to a target site. Several large scale e-commerce businesses such as Ebay, Yahoo, Etrade, and others were attacked around Feb 7-8, 2000 by using hundreds or even thousands of hijacked computers. In this case, the theft was not one of information, but a theft of service by hijacking the computer's services.

In the course of the US DoJ investigation into recent Denial of Service attacks, the FBI confiscated a server from home businesses that were used in the attack. This server were hijacked and used in the attack without the knowledge of the owners. Even though this is an extreme case, the owner was left without their server in this example of why security is important. If the owner had taken steps to ensure their server's security, they would have avoided this situation.

When checking your computer for open ports, you may find that you have several open ports or services running that you never use. While this is mainly a Unix/Linux issue, it may also apply to Windows NT or Windows 9x users as well. The fewer ports you leave open, the lower your risk to breakins is. In short, less is more. After running a port scan, you should review the results and close any services that you don't need. More information on how to do this in Linux (or UNIX in general) is available. This port scan will also search for known problems such as Windows file sharing, and Denial of Service zombie programs such as Trinoo, Stacheldraht, and others. If these are found, you should take steps to eliminate these programs.

T

Tom

Maybe this Rob

I know I like your making ISP's available so that we may "verify" where a post actually comes from, but if you did not provide the means to obtain the ISP would this problem not be impossible?

I don't know much about the technical aspect, or if this is even what you are referring to, but if a company (DR1) provides the means, you could be held equally culpable

Tom

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Re: Maybe this Rob

Displaying IP's is not illegal, scanning ports is.

It's the choice of the people that use this board, we post IP's, people are aware of this when they come here. Many services exist that allow you to surf the Internet via an anonymous proxy server. If people are concerned they should use these services.

The only reason certain ports are scanned are for malicious reasons. This is how ISP's and the feds look at it.

Unfortunately for the person concerned, they where stupid enough to port scan via their own IP. Thats like leaving your passport, finger prints and blood sample at a murder scene. ISP's and the feds love this sort of evidence, it's a done deal!

Type "anonymous surfing" into Google and you will get a ton of listings.

Rob.

J

jose

Scanning for open ports and specific trojans, is not Verifying, as in "we may "verify" where a post actually comes from". To verify what? If my name is Jose?

T

Tom

Didn't say it was illegal, simply said why do it if it is causing a problem? Do you need Ip's on the site? You know of a problem yet perpetuate it, may not be illegal but could raise a liability issue

D

DR1

I've seen the other side...

When we hide the IP's, then the anonymous posters start creeping back and causing havoc.

"may not be illegal but could raise a liability issue"
If you buy a new car in perfect working order and you run someone down, then your to blame. You should know how to drive and know the associated risks, it's not the dealers problem.

Anyone that has a problem with having their IP displayed should use anonymizer.com or a similar service.

Rob.

B

Bobs

Re: This should help....

Just an advice : If you want to minimize the troubles of port scans, trojan droppings and virusses, especially if you have a cable or DSL connection (continuously active), install a firewall and combine it with a good antivirus program. Always update your antivirus. (eSafe or Zonealarm free firewalls and Norton/Symantec or McAfee antivirus). Don't immediately open attachments (.exe, .vbs),even if received from a friend. From time to time, check the virus-hoax pages, there are too many cyberjokers out there (www.vmyths.com). Safe surfing.

T

Tom

Re: I've seen the other side...

Rob

I don't have a problem with it, I enjoy it. You're taking my comments all wrong (as usual :)). What I said is that is there is a civil or criminal issue you are aware of and continue to "assist" in its commission by providing information, you "could" be held liable.

Your car dealer analogy should be "if the dealer was advised this particular car had a defect and continued to sell it"

Calm down!!!

Tom