Receiving Calls and SMS Texts from an Orange or Claro Number

SowahAkai

Jan 20, 2011
Thread Title Should Read: Orange Roaming outside DR

It's Sowah-Akai again with another cellphone question. I'm visiting my family in the U.S. Virgin Islands for the holidays. I have not been able to use my Orange SIM card with the phone that I purchased it with in the DR since I've been here in the USVI. What I mean is the Orange SIM card does not see a cell carrier here in the USVI. We have Sprint, and AT&T and a local GSM based cellphone company. We had Centenial; but, AT&T purchased Centeneial a few years ago and absorbed its customer accounts.

Oh BTW, when I arrived in the DR, my AT&T phone automatically connected with Orange. Therefore, I received calls and SMS texts but I couldn't make calls. Also for brief moments of time it would connect to (or roam) with Codetel. (I guess it did that when there was no Orange signal. Only an uninformed guess. ) I was only able to fully use my Samsung Galaxy Captivate in the DR after getting the unlock code from AT&T and unlocking the phone. So I use my Samsung Galaxy Captivate in the DR as my primary phone. But here in the USVI, I use the Samsung Galaxy Captivate with my AT&T SIM as the primary phone and desire to use the DR purchased phone and SIM as the secondary to receive calls and SMS texts from the DR.

So, my questions are as follows:

1.) What do I do to get my DR Orange SIM to be recognized by or roam with AT&T?
2.) Is there an unlock code that I have to get from Orange in order for my SIM to be recognized or roam with AT&T?
3.) Let's assume that indeed there is a way to unlock and roam locally with AT&T or Sprint or Innovative (our local cellphone company); will I be charged for calls and SMS texts that I receive to my DR Orange cellphone number? If so, how much? I have a prepaid account.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice.

J. Sowah-Akai

Last edited:

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
why not call Orange support? - I think there is a special code to unlock Orange roaming, and 100% you will be charged through the nose for everything. There is a large Orange banner on the Santiago airport building that advertises the said roaming unlock code, I don't remember what it is.