Well, DR, It's Been Lovely...But....

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
It's a sad day for me, but I have to leave the DR....

After only six months living in the stunningly beautiful Cabrera, and making some friendships and memories to last forever, I have to go back to Canada. In January. Without winter clothes. Or a job. Or a home!

Since having Brucella, Salmonella, Ameobas and NOW going home with Typhoid...I think my time in DR is up! All that being said, it's been amazing AND I'll still be on the forums to offer my :) advice and all the rest!

Thanks to all my fellow DR-1ers for being the awesome people you are! If you're ever jonesing to go to Canada (Ottawa! Oooooo!) look me up! :)

Anna / Lolitula :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If its any consolation, the Cdn winter has mild so far. Last year at this time there were feet of snow.
Green grass today, they tell me.

The doctors at the Cabrera clinic are good at diagnosing but not so good at curing the ailments you speak of.
At least thats our experience.
Oddly, my wife's run-in w/ amoebas came with her from the US - not from Cabrera.

Sorry to hear of your problems. Safe travels.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I wish you good health and good luck finding a job soon in Canada.
You will never forget the good times and the bad times in the DR. Hopefully in the future you can return to live the dream again in better health and wealth.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
So sorry for you Lolitula. Not a great Christmas present for you. Good fortune on your return! The rumours are the economy is recovering nicely and was never as hard a fall as our American neighbours.

I understand that Canada medical coverage also stops after a period of time. I have also heard that the period of absence for disqualification is not only being away from the country but also time spent simply out of province. It seems horrible one might get penalized for not using something.

There is a three month return to coverage period but like everything else they might use a "pre existing" further disqualification.

Wish a cursory review of your listed problems they seem to be mostly related to water and animal based problems compounded with exposure to feces. This is exactly why I am very nervous about my favorite beach shack restaurants. Wondering how much an influence that might be. Outside of the occasional beach shack, we have decided to spend most of our meals in a fairly controlled environment and that means home kitchen, good refrigeration and proper hygiene techniques for all as much as possible. Not sure if this is enough but so far it has been working (I think). I have friends that support local kitchens and do not have things like hot water at home and I hear once in awhile talk of such things as amoebas. Since I am not familiar with these things I have brushed them off without much concern but now wonder how great the scare is.

Do you think you might have been particularly unfortunate or are we all exposing ourselves to things our bodies do not have good defenses against? Maybe it is also false diagnosis or interpretation in some cases too. I have heard not only that some clinics are very sketchy but it does not stop at poor training. I am now finding out greed and fraud fuel some doctors that work at some clinics as well.

I am glad you are able to return to one of the best health care systems in the world. I hope you return safely to good health. Now that you leave us behind yes please keep the rest informed as to your progress and findings. You have left some with thought provoking items for consideration. Thanks for your note.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you gave up to early, gal! :)
i have been sick about every two months for my first 3 years here. then i got used to DR :)

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Sorry about the health issues. Best of luck to you, and the DR will be waiting for you, once you've gotten your health issues under control. (perhaps properly diagnosed and treated)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Sorry it didn't work out for you. Please do come back to help ours with your experiences.

Merry Christmas

jameshoff

Nov 18, 2011
Sorry to hear about your sickness while in the DR, but I'm sure the good times out weighed the bad. Your on your way home and I'm on my way down to the DR for the winter. You'll be in for a surprise when you come to Ottawa, I'm from Petawawa and we just had two days of extreme freezing rain, 240 reported accidents on the 417 Queensway and as of right now its snowing with about 20 feet visability.So be safe and weclome home.

James

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
HI Gordon! Yep, it's sucky! The good is I'm still in the safe-zone (within days!) for my OHIP when I return, and yes, to get a really good proper diagnosis and treatment...let's hope :)

Everybody, be safe and enjoy! It's not really just the sickness that did me in...I lost my job WHEN I was in the hospital (kicked when down...ouch!) because they couldn't wait for me...and finding work in Cabrera hasn't been an easy task :( I think, even though I'm headed to the cold and yuck, somehow this'll just become a brand new adventure...and I can't wait to help out others, especially those coming to the North Coast....so beautiful, but this time...I don't think I'll be returning other than for visits!

xoxoxo!

So sorry for you Lolitula. Not a great Christmas present for you. Good fortune on your return! The rumours are the economy is recovering nicely and was never as hard a fall as our American neighbours.

I understand that Canada medical coverage also stops after a period of time. I have also heard that the period of absence for disqualification is not only being away from the country but also time spent simply out of province. It seems horrible one might get penalized for not using something.

There is a three month return to coverage period but like everything else they might use a "pre existing" further disqualification.

Wish a cursory review of your listed problems they seem to be mostly related to water and animal based problems compounded with exposure to feces. This is exactly why I am very nervous about my favorite beach shack restaurants. Wondering how much an influence that might be. Outside of the occasional beach shack, we have decided to spend most of our meals in a fairly controlled environment and that means home kitchen, good refrigeration and proper hygiene techniques for all as much as possible. Not sure if this is enough but so far it has been working (I think). I have friends that support local kitchens and do not have things like hot water at home and I hear once in awhile talk of such things as amoebas. Since I am not familiar with these things I have brushed them off without much concern but now wonder how great the scare is.

Do you think you might have been particularly unfortunate or are we all exposing ourselves to things our bodies do not have good defenses against? Maybe it is also false diagnosis or interpretation in some cases too. I have heard not only that some clinics are very sketchy but it does not stop at poor training. I am now finding out greed and fraud fuel some doctors that work at some clinics as well.

I am glad you are able to return to one of the best health care systems in the world. I hope you return safely to good health. Now that you leave us behind yes please keep the rest informed as to your progress and findings. You have left some with thought provoking items for consideration. Thanks for your note.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
With your positive attitude, you are sure to land on your feet. Sorry you are leaving, but happy to know we will still hear from you from time to time on dr1.

Softail

Nov 15, 2011
Good luck, Anna. You so graciously helped me out when I sent you the PM about life in the North Coast. I wish you all the best in Canada.....oh, and btw, could we in the US annex you guys as our 51st state....we sure could use the help...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Tis the season to be Jolly, so I will not say what came to my mind! After 50 years here, I have had none of the above! So did you eat out of cesspools and drainage ditches? I am totally amazed at that string of sicknesses. Wow...

Hope you do better in Canada, nobody deserves to be phucked with by diseases that should not even exist....

HB,,..

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
Hey Hillbilly! Hahha well, yes, I was wondering the other day as I licked that live cow, "How will this come back to haunt me?" hahahha

The thing is, we actually DO live right in front of a field with roaming cows, and we have 3 dogs, one of which sometimes escapes and makes it back to the house. I wonder if carrying her around brought something?

The funniest thing is, I was soooooo careful since arriving here, cleaning veggies with purifying drops and cooking them, staying away from unpasteurized anything, and not eating meat...and look where that gets you! The lesson? Um...ok, I still don't get it ahhaha

And Brucella was killer. The first treatment was horrible AND didn't take so after 2 months of double doses of all kinds of stuff at least THAT'S gone!

I've always enjoyed hearing from you guys, and sometimes just sitting back and watching you all chat amongst yourselves...DR1 is special that way, not just a forum but lots of genuine, caring people out there! I love that!

You guys are...awesome :)

Tis the season to be Jolly, so I will not say what came to my mind! After 50 years here, I have had none of the above! So did you eat out of cesspools and drainage ditches? I am totally amazed at that string of sicknesses. Wow...

Hope you do better in Canada, nobody deserves to be phucked with by diseases that should not even exist....

HB,,..

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
Hey WW! Well, it is often from direct contact, but also from infected / unpasteurized dairy. The doctors all warned me against eating ANY cheese products from here in the DR, no matter what...entonces, adios Queso Crema :( It's a bugger...be what I call a 'Dominican Vegan' and get it imported! :)

Brucella - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This one made me curious.
It reads that you must have direct contact with an infected animal or animal product - unpasteurised milk, etc.

Should be differentiated from Salmonella

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Lolitula, I cited the Louis Pasteur cause being pretty sure that you hadn't eaten rancid meat.

I was curious b/c I had never heard of Brucella before and would like to avoid it and other maladies if possible.

No slur intended . Apologies to you.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I got shigellosis several years ago, most likely at a resort in Puerta Plata and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Good luck back in Ottawa and hopefully the farmer's Almanac was wrong:
This will be a winter of “clime and punishment.” We are forecasting the upcoming winter will be cold to very cold, from Alberta east across Saskatchewan and Manitoba into western Ontario. Meanwhile, we predict temperatures will average above normal for much of Nova Scotia and, possibly, southern New Brunswick. Near-normal temperatures are expected elsewhere. A very active storm track will bring copious precipitation through the Great Lakes into central and eastern Ontario, Quebec, and much of the Maritimes. Another active storm track over the Pacific Ocean will guide systems into southern and central British Columbia and western Alberta, giving them a wetter-than-normal winter.