Kindle Question

FredBlogs

Jun 18, 2009
Are there any problems with downloading books to a computer/Kindle in the DR?

From my research it appears that there are some websites, that if they recognise a non US server, will not allow downloads as US copyright laws are infringed.

Thank you.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I have no problem downloading Kindle books, not directly to my Kindle, but to my PC Kindle which is a free download, that transfer them over to my Kindle. And to be clear, I'm in the DR.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I have had no problems to my Kindle but I have HughesNet at my finca so the IP address is indeed one from the United States. There are IP masking solutions but for the Kindle to use them it would have to be a hardware solution based in the router itself...something like Surfbouncer's Net Appliance comes to mind. You can likely get your PC to do it as well if you share your wireless connection to the Kindle and your PC is operating through some IP masking software.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I use the orange flybox, and can download any book I want for my kindle. Only once did Amazon refuse to sell me a certain book, as they were not allowed to sell it in the DR.

I logged out, used hidemyass and downloaded it... lol

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I've had my Kindle for about 3 months and have had no problem to date. Only thing I've noticed is for some books I pay a bit more than if I was in the US but to date no other problems.

Doc T

Dec 21, 2011
Awesome, a Kindle thread. I'm seriously considering getting one.

Anyone that have one mind telling me which they have and answering a few questions??

No review that I checked said whether or not it had a zoom feature or copy/paste. Can you make notes of certain passages?

Have you tried converting PDF to the .EPUB or .MOBI filetype that it uses? What were the results? Thnx in advance.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
We have the B&N nook and can down load anything. HOWEVER you cannot purchase a book with a DR IP address because of copyright laws. So there are a few ways around this:
1 use a server (comcast and de Lancer at least used to have this) that has a US IP address
2. Get a program that masks your IP address or gives you a US one
3. Have some one in the US order your books using your account and then down load the purchases here with out difficulty.
Hope this helps

Bob K

agw

Feb 14, 2010
Awesome, a Kindle thread. I'm seriously considering getting one.

Anyone that have one mind telling me which they have and answering a few questions??

No review that I checked said whether or not it had a zoom feature or copy/paste. Can you make notes of certain passages?

Have you tried converting PDF to the .EPUB or .MOBI filetype that it uses? What were the results? Thnx in advance.

I can't answer anything about a Kindle as I have a Kobo, but the best program I've found for converting files is Calibre. It's a free download (is shareware) and works extemely well. It's very easy to use and will convert to any file you need. Also it provides a backup for you on your computer should you lose or damage your ereader and need to replace it.

calibre-ebook.com
(not affliate with this in any way)

Doc T

Dec 21, 2011
^Sweet. I got a hold of kindle files (.epub and .mobi) and converted them to pdf using this site

Convert Files - free online file converter and YouTube video downloader.Convert videos, audio files, documents and ebooks.

Worked perfectly. I can't test the pdf to mobi/epub, though, since I don't have a handheld device like Kindle or Kobo

If you're willing to take time out of your day and test it out just to let me know if it works, I'd greatly appreciate it. This is the only thing keeping me from getting Kindle. I have tons of PDF and Word files (that I can convert to pdf) that I hate reading off of the laptop. It's killing my eyes.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I've been using Calibre extensively for a long time. It's a free download, and will convert any file. I have a Kindle, and have converted both .pub and .pdf to .mobi in seconds.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
^Sweet. I got a hold of kindle files (.epub and .mobi) and converted them to pdf using this site

Convert Files - free online file converter and YouTube video downloader.Convert videos, audio files, documents and ebooks.

Worked perfectly. I can't test the pdf to mobi/epub, though, since I don't have a handheld device like Kindle or Kobo

If you're willing to take time out of your day and test it out just to let me know if it works, I'd greatly appreciate it. This is the only thing keeping me from getting Kindle. I have tons of PDF and Word files (that I can convert to pdf) that I hate reading off of the laptop. It's killing my eyes.

Kindle has a service it calls Personal Documents. It will convert Word docs to mobi format. There are two ways to go about it, one has a price attached and the other method is free. Try reading at the Amazon website in the Kindle Support area.

Kindle will read pdf files with no trouble except the loss of the ability to change font size. I have a Kindle 2 and it does have a zoom function.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Der Fish because of copy right laws in the US you cannot purchase a book with B&N on line with a DR IP address. So we maks ours and it appears that we have a US IP address.
However once purchased you can down load the book with any IP address only need a US address to purchase. So many times I will purchase a book as a pre-order (the book has not been released yet) and when the book has been released just down load it then.

Bob K