Peras colombianas

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
My neighbour has given me four fruit which he calls "peras colombianas". He says I can make juice from them in my liquidizer.

They are the same size as normal pears but without the concave tapering, more avocado shaped. They are dark red in color with glossy peel like an apple, not matt like most pears.

I haven't been able to find them by Googling.

I don't want to offend him by not using them, but neither do I want to spend the holiday period on the toilet. Anyone familiar with them. If edible, should I juice them when still firm or wait until they soften a bit?

I have a photo but don't know how to upload it. The FAQs says click on the "Albums and Pictures" link in my control panel to create an album (after which I know the procedure), but I see no such link. Perhaps I am at too low a level of membership?

fidget

Sep 2, 2004
Could it be Red Pears / Red anjour pears? If they are, you don't need to worry about your holidays, they are delicious!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I've come across a fruit known as pera criolla which is more or less what the OP describes, but I can't find anything about it online.

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
malayapple.jpg

Is that Jamaican or Malay Apple?

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
malayapple.jpg

Is that Jamaican or Malay Apple?
That's the one! Mine are a little less pear-shaped (less concave) but the leaves are same, quite unlike any leaves from the regular apple/pear family.

Most specific name seems to be "Otaheite Apple". It orginates in the Pacific. In Jamaica it is known as the "Ethiopian Apple", presumably a Rastafarian misunderstanding of the name "Otaheite".

Plenty of info and pictures online now you have identified it for me, HumbleHindu. Slightly ominous is that "it cures constipation" so I will eat them one at a time and check the results before eating the next one.

Thanks to all who posted.

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
yes You can eat this out of hand. It has lots of water and that may be the reason it cures constipation.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
yes You can eat this out of hand. It has lots of water and that may be the reason it cures constipation.
Just downed the first one and still alive. Pleasant and fresh-tasting but not much flavor, a bit like a chinese gooseberry/kiwi fruit in flavor though the texture is more like a watery but crisp apple.

On a more general note, I am surprised there is not a separate section here for food & cooking as they are popular topics for posts.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
those are quite common on fruit stands on rural roads, don't remember the local name but I am certain there was no 'colombian' in it. I've eaten lots of them raw, without any adverse effects.