Techy question about getting a UK IP address

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I would call myself as an "intermediate" geek. Whereas hardware is more of my forte, being an avionics engineer.

I know that it's possible and I would like someone to show me in plain English how I can fool the BBC into thinking that I'm in the UK so that I can use the BBC iPlayer.

Here's my specs:

Computer: iMac running OSX Lion
Router: Apple Time Capsule
Internet provider: Delancer internet 3mbps with IP address in Fort Lauderdale

With their recent increase in bandwidth for the same price I should be able to stream BBC content perfectly. Netflix works a treat!

To me, networking is a mystical art and those that know how to configure them are strange people that must live in dark rooms and speak in ones and noughts!

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Techy

Thanks for rminding me of that great word TECHY hsve not used it for years but is a favourite ,,,maybe a little like guapo mixed with iritacion

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
I said PLAIN ENGLISH!

Proxy server = your answer = a way fool sites like BBC and other IP restricted sites, by using a proxy server you will get an other IP address.

Let's hope you at least know what a proxy server means and what IP address means, and if not.. G G G Google it!

The next thing you need to Google is how to use a proxy server on the type of computer you've got. I don't know how to work with a Mac and I'm not even sure if they can have Firefox. I know how to setup a proxy server with Firefox and IE.

If you Googled that part, then Google for a site with UK proxy servers.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Proxy servers work well and slow down speeds just marginally...

acmike

Jan 11, 2005
Like Robert said Hidemyass.com allows you to have an IP Address from England and many other countries as well.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Brilliant! I've just installed Hide My Ass and it's working great! It will be really handily when I travel too.

Thanks!

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
i know how to do it not on a mac - one downloads expat shield and it runs on your toolbar when required