Question about obtaining a Dominican passport

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
Hi there,

To give you more insight for the reason I'm thinking about getting a DR passport.

I'm born in The Netherlands, my parents are from Suriname. Me or my parents got nothing to do with DR.

I'm going to DR in January and I'm planning to stay there till June or July, I'm going to DR in the hope of finding singers to start a group with (LONG STORY!)

The thing is, I don't care about my Dutch passport because I want to get an American passport anyway.. I'm trying to get a business visa. The one that cost very very much and I should have 10 people working for me.

Anyway, the only reason I want a different passport because I want to change my last name. (FAMILY RELATED, I DON'T WANT TO CARRY MY FATHERS NAME)

I've been in Suriname this summer, I could've done it there.. but I should STAY there for the time being and it could take up to 3 months. That is not going to work.

So basically, I just need to get a passport so I have my last name changed basically.. that's all.

So is it possible for an European who ain't got nothing to do with DR to get a DR passport?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
In order to have a Dominican passport you need to be a citizen of the country. That will take you a lot longer than 3 months.

matilda

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Mat's reply is correct you need to have Dominican citizenship in order to obtain a Dominican passport.

Here is the info

Citizenship
Who has the right to Dominican citizenship?
In addition to being the offspring of a Dominican citizen, you can acquire Dominican citizenship through marriage. A foreign woman who marries a Dominican has the right to Dominican citizenship. This does not work in reverse. A foreign man who marries a Dominican woman does not have the automatic right to Dominican citizenship.

If I do not meet the above conditions, how can I apply for Dominican citizenship?
Law 1683 dated 1948 and its modifications establishes that a person is eligible to obtain Dominican nationality after:
  • Having resided in the country for at least six months after having obtained legal domicile (permanent residence card).
  • Having resided continually in the country for at least two years.
  • Having resided continually in the country for at least six months and having formed a business or purchased real estate.
  • Having served in the Dominican Armed Forces.
  • Have obtained a special concession from the President which may be granted for having served the DR with merit.

<tbody> </tbody>

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
This question is for the legal forum as it pertains to coming into the country not leaving the it.

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
Mat's reply is correct you need to have Dominican citizenship in order to obtain a Dominican passport.

Here is the info

Citizenship
Who has the right to Dominican citizenship?
In addition to being the offspring of a Dominican citizen, you can acquire Dominican citizenship through marriage. A foreign woman who marries a Dominican has the right to Dominican citizenship. This does not work in reverse. A foreign man who marries a Dominican woman does not have the automatic right to Dominican citizenship.

If I do not meet the above conditions, how can I apply for Dominican citizenship?
Law 1683 dated 1948 and its modifications establishes that a person is eligible to obtain Dominican nationality after:
  • Having resided in the country for at least six months after having obtained legal domicile (permanent residence card).
  • Having resided continually in the country for at least two years.
  • Having resided continually in the country for at least six months and having formed a business or purchased real estate.
  • Having served in the Dominican Armed Forces.
  • Have obtained a special concession from the President which may be granted for having served the DR with merit.

<tbody>
</tbody>

Thanks for the answer..