moving to santo domingo

palmj

Dec 27, 2011
i will be moving to santo domingo in march how many battiries will i need to run a fridge a fan tv and lap top . how much will it cost

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Do a search for inverters here, lots of info.

That being said, you will need an inverter to go with those batteries. Do you already know where you will be living? If you're renting, it might come with everything you need.

We recently bought a 3.0 inverter and 4 batteries, it cost us about $500 for the batteries, and about 16,000 pesos for the inverter, installed. We used a guy in SD who came very highly recommended by several Dominicans, and we were very happy with him. Here's his contact info: Julio Cesar 809-875-8628

This is what we got:
CIMG1109.jpgCIMG1130.jpg

palmj

Dec 27, 2011
thank you very much for the information . i will be living in a apt and will be renting i will be moving from the us and just doing homework to find out what i need to get once im there . the stove and the fridge i will get once the electricity is all done thank you for your help. used stoves and fridge are they expencive. thanks for the help

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Your "stove" should be Propane powered,"GAS" as the Dominicans say.You can get a 4 burner cook top new for less than $100 US.
There is no oven,but some people don't "Bake".The fridge,new,is about twice what you woud pay in the US.Some apts.have a fridge included,but don't count on that.Many households don't hook the "Fridge" up to their inverter,it depends on the power in your area. If it's "OFF" for more than 8 hours,you can plug the fridgr into the inverter circuit.Used "Stuff" is available in all price ranges.You get what you pay for."Pawn Shops" are very popular here,and CAN BE a place to look.As you get closer to moving,and after you get here,DR! can be very helpful,and save you time and money.We "Been Here,Done That"!
Cris Colon

palmj

Dec 27, 2011
thanks criss what about cable ? i already have a vonage phone to call home to the us.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have a "CODETEL"(One of the local phone companies,there are several others) bundle.
Cable TV with 3 outlets,an internet modum,and a "Calling" plan,includes "Minutes" to USA,cell phones,and entire DR. Costs about 6,000 pesos a month,not sure,my Dominican wife is responsible for the "Phone Bill".You will learn that Dominicans LOVE talking on the phone,and NEVER think about the cost,UNLESS they have to pay the bill themselves,or get cut off!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

palmj

Dec 27, 2011
can i just get the cable and internet my vonage phone feeds into the internet line?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You will probably stil want a land line to make calls inside the DR??????????????????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC