Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: condo tipping

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default condo tipping

I'll be coming to D.R. for our first visit since taking possession of our new condo. During the few times I've rented condos in complexes in Cortecito / P.C. for vacations, there have always been guys who help around the complex, (carrying luggage, going to pick up water bottles, other various stuff). I don't know what their "official" jobs are... (as if such a thing exists, LOL)... like security, handyman, chief cook and bottle washer... etc. I've always wondered what the appropriate tip for various services should be... don't want to over tip or be a cheapskate.

In Oct. we met a couple who own a unit in a complex not far from us, and their practice was to tip their guy, who took (VERY good) care of them, the equivalent of $20 - 25 U.S. in one lump sum tip at the end of their stay, (or periodically over longer stays). They've had their place for several years, so have an established relationship with the guy, (sometimes giving him dinner, etc.)

ANYWAY... I know there's a WIDE range of thoughts and feelings about tipping in general, and this is a specialized situation; but I'd like to hear what some of you have to suggest.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a wide open question, because a lot depends on what they are actually doing for you and how often they are doing it.

For example, we have a handyman who takes care of our property whether we are there or not. We let him farm behind our house and keep all the profits, he loves it and he watches over our house even better because he has a stake in keeping it safe.

Now, he has a stepson who is 19, and he has him living in a small building on our property, so there is always someone there watching the crops he planted. The stepson doesn't work for us at all, but when we're there he's always there with a smile and an offer to help. I buy him t-shirts and sneakers that are his style and bring them down, and while we're there we feed him 3x a day, plus I give him toiletries when we go shopping there [soaps, shampoo, toothpaste, etc].

Of course, the kid likes cash too, so from time to time we give him 1000 pesos. In a course of 2 months that we're usually there, maybe he'll get that three times. Not on any kind of schedule, because we're talking about tips here, plus it depends on what he helps with. Washing the car, bringing in groceries, clearing debris, going to the colmado, etc.

Hope this helps a little.

Administrator
    DR1.com

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually the last part helps a lot. In our case, we're in a 26 unit complex, and have a property manager to keep tabs on our apartment when we're not there ... but my question was about the ongoing help the guys who looks over the complex as a whole gives to us individual owners / occupants on an as need basis.

Actually a better way to phrase my question is "what would be considered a good tip" based on what these guys usually make as a salary compared to their costs of living, etc. For example... what might be a good tip for a random service here in Pittsburgh, would be considered pretty cheap in New York (where people make more, but things cost more) ... but would probably be considered a really big tip in the D.R. (where salaries are way less, and costs of living are less). Don't know if that makes sense as an explanation or not.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

It makes a lot of sense, and I know that we Americans tend to tip and pay too much for services, which makes it bad for others. My husband reels me in sometimes, he says if I give too much then they think that everyone should give that much, and it makes local Dominicans look bad if they tip/pay half or less than what I do. And if we give the impression that we are 'rich', it perpetuates the 'foreigner can afford to pay more' attitude.

The moral being, I guess, don't overtip. You have to find that happy medium between being fair and being cheap. Not always easy. When my husband tips in DR, I think he's cheap. He says he tips more than his fellow Dominicans.

Now, these guys you're talking about, I'm guessing maybe they make 7-8,000 pesos a month. So a 100 peso tip is probably good for most small random service. And I wouldn't tip the same every time, or even tip every time. But that's just me, having been trained by a Dominican, haha.

Another example - our washer broke, so my sister-in-law insisted we bring our laundry to her house for her housekeeper to do. And we were instructed - uncategorically - that we were NOT to give her any tip/cash for doing it. She said it would be okay to give the woman a small gift [a lipstick, etc.] as a thank you. She didn't want her "spoiled".

We did as we were told, but it bothered both of us giving the woman that extra work for almost nothing, so we got the machine fixed a/s/a/p.

Administrator
    DR1.com

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post

Another example - our washer broke, so my sister-in-law insisted we bring our laundry to her house for her housekeeper to do. And we were instructed - uncategorically - that we were NOT to give her any tip/cash for doing it. She said it would be okay to give the woman a small gift [a lipstick, etc.] as a thank you. She didn't want her "spoiled".

We did as we were told, but it bothered both of us giving the woman that extra work for almost nothing, so we got the machine fixed a/s/a/p.
    I'm glad you were bothered. I live here, have lived here a very long time, and I agree that we shouldn't over tip. But we shouldn't abuse the people who are working for us, either. The woman was asked to do something over and above her normal job and should have received some sort of additional compensation as far as I am concerned. Paying people for extra work is not "spoiling" them

6. Likes AlterEgo, frank12, CaptnGlenn liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptnGlenn View Post
    I'll be coming to D.R. for our first visit since taking possession of our new condo. During the few times I've rented condos in complexes in Cortecito / P.C. for vacations, there have always been guys who help around the complex, (carrying luggage, going to pick up water bottles, other various stuff). I don't know what their "official" jobs are... (as if such a thing exists, LOL)... like security, handyman, chief cook and bottle washer... etc. I've always wondered what the appropriate tip for various services should be... don't want to over tip or be a cheapskate.

In Oct. we met a couple who own a unit in a complex not far from us, and their practice was to tip their guy, who took (VERY good) care of them, the equivalent of $20 - 25 U.S. in one lump sum tip at the end of their stay, (or periodically over longer stays). They've had their place for several years, so have an established relationship with the guy, (sometimes giving him dinner, etc.)

ANYWAY... I know there's a WIDE range of thoughts and feelings about tipping in general, and this is a specialized situation; but I'd like to hear what some of you have to suggest.

Capt you should be careful of any type of regular "tips" or payments, especially if you are going to be there for any length of time. Unscrupulous types can assert employment with you and then get the secretaria de trabajo after you for liquidacion, tss, insurance, etc. Best to keep it simple, small, and not at any type of regular intervals.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post

Oooh hell no! No you didn't!

Yo, this ish right here can really make me upset! I'm from The Netherlands, so getting things done there cost money! My parents are from Suriname, when I'm in Suriname those people that live there I call them my people. Many times I've been helped in cases which I know if that has been done in The Netherlands it would've never been a favor but I had to pay some good money.

I don't know your income, if you're born in DR and I don't know how you see those people who are helping you out but they are helping you out! Talking bout let the housekeeper do that cos she's there anyway so she might as well do this and that and everything that comes along.

Just because that housekeeper isn't used to big money so needs to work her S off to get a lil bit something something shouldn't make you think like that. This ish makes me feel mad uncomfortable, like white people do to Mexicans or did to black slaves..

"You've been good today, here are our left overs!" Da fck!?!

9. Dislikes Tamborista, Rumble2005 disliked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

imfromda, please, dude, you do not live here and you know nada about DR. do keep your "back home" stories to yourself, those rules do not apply in DR.

tipping is a tricky thing. sometimes it may be better to give something rather than money because dominicans tend to spend their money, to put in mildly - badly i tend to give stuff rather than money. ron - i have plenty of that at all times. rasimo de platanos is always a great thing too. i also give away our clothes - whatever is too small, too big or too old. and yes, too old is still good for many dominicans, especially those performing physical jobs: they get to save their good clothes and can use your old ones to the last thread.

but if you insist on money i stand by alterego: not all the time and not the same amounts. i am sure the dude has his salary, he is not giving you a favor by carrying luggage or shopping - he is doing his job. if you tip all the time he will take you for a fool and he will refuse to do anything unless you pay him first.

11. Likes AlterEgo liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    imfromda, please, dude, you do not live here and you know nada about DR. do keep your "back home" stories to yourself, those rules do not apply in DR.

tipping is a tricky thing. sometimes it may be better to give something rather than money because dominicans tend to spend their money, to put in mildly - badly i tend to give stuff rather than money. ron - i have plenty of that at all times. rasimo de platanos is always a great thing too. i also give away our clothes - whatever is too small, too big or too old. and yes, too old is still good for many dominicans, especially those performing physical jobs: they get to save their good clothes and can use your old ones to the last thread.

but if you insist on money i stand by alterego: not all the time and not the same amounts. i am sure the dude has his salary, he is not giving you a favor by carrying luggage or shopping - he is doing his job. if you tip all the time he will take you for a fool and he will refuse to do anything unless you pay him first.
    I can't even comment on things like carrying luggage, I'm talking like repairing things.. like the example giving there. A washing machine. I understand that my back home stories shouldn't be compared with whatever is going on in DR.

You ain't never gonna catch me tipping someone for labor they're assigned to be doing, but if repairing things is part of the job for housekeepers in DR then forget what I've said. It just had me stunned for a minute.

It's just the repairing labor I'm talking about, but like the topic starter said..

there's a WIDE range of thoughts and feelings about tipping in general
    At the end of the day, the receivers of the tips are leaving with a smile anyway so that's what should count..

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL, I saw 2 people disliked my comment..

I'm a bit more fortunate than others, at the same time I've been in some very unfortunate situations before. It only put things in perspective, that's all. It's just something what I personally couldn't do, ain't no reason to dislike that.

14. Dislikes Rumble2005 disliked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast