Baseball in the dominican rupublic

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Going to the DR in a few weeks and have accumulated quite a lot of baseball bats, gloves, cleats and lot more from friends. I went there in November and watched a few lads playing in the street with a stick and a bottle top and wanted to try to get them some decent gear. Now I have a lot.Shirts, trousers , sneakers. I would like to know what ideas members might have on how best to get these divided out over there...is it a good idea to just pass out the stuff to kids playing on the streeet or give it to poor clubs and if the clubs, where do I go ? I have a bout 70 gloves, 25 bats, 100 pairs of grey pants, numerous balls, base plates, shin guards, umpire equipment, and many helmets. I have already shipped a65 gallon drum there filled with stuff a week ago to meet me there .. now i plan to bring the rest in two suitcases.. any ideas on how best to help?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
do not give away stuff to random kids. people will see you and before you blink an eye you will be surrounded by all types demanding that you give them something too. and not all of them will be in need :)
if i were you i would look for a school/orphanage, public, of course. talk to few teachers and find out who needs what. if you plan to pass by POP i can set you up with a director of school that is a part of an orphanage as well. they are located in the barrio close to our pharmacy. just up the street there is a play (field to play games, dunno if this is a dominican name or you americans call it like that since i have absolute no interest in any sport).

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
pop is puerto Plata?> I will be in Villa Gonzales el Limon, close to Puerto Plata. I wanted to go to Altamira where Colon has his stadium and check out the parks there... but it might be possible to bring some stuff to Puerto Plata.. where are you, in the center? By the way, I m a Brit

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you are in Villa Gonzalez, that is next to Santiago. The Rotary Club there and the Club Mambuiche in Gurabo are experienced at this. When will you be there and do you want help? We doled out two trailer loads of stuff through Roberto's Kids last March....The numbers were incredible...so we can help you a little.

Send me a PM if you want to.

HB

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
just up the street there is a play (field to play games, dunno if this is a dominican name or you americans call it like that since i have absolute no interest in any sport).

dv8 you make me laugh!

Americans call them baseball fields and cancha is usually a "court" like a basketball or volleyball court.

Amstellite, that's a very generous thing to do. I was astonished to find baseball bats are now locked up in the sports department they are that expensive. And it's sometimes a pain finding a glove for a lefty once the season starts.

May you experience the joy that will show on the faces of those that recieve these generous gifts!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
amstellite, i am actually just outside puerto plata, in costambar. i will be happy to help you out if you decide to visit our lovely village :) but your gifts will be greatly appreciated in any place, really :)

la rubia, i really know nada about sport with bats. or any other sport with many sweaty people. i do enjoy watching football (european) because one can appreciate nice a**es. i cannot understand why americans play sports either in full michelin gear (the one with weird looking ball) or in baggy shirts (the one with tall people in it).

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
I agree that giving the stuff away through an umbrella team in need or vouched-for local group is best.

If you just "give the stuff away" to random people, it is also more likely that it will be taken away from the kids by adults or other older kids for their own use and possibly to sell. I have seen this happen and it's sad. Of course, you could always keep a few gloves just to surprise some kids on the street...that would be fun.

You could also consider designating some of the equipment to girls teams, whether it is softball stuff or not. Girls are for the most part marginalized from participating in sports, and generally love to play.

Cheers to you for getting all of that equipment together! Of all of the things that could be brought to the DR to give away, it's worth it. Quality sports equipment is expensive and most do not have access to it. Makes me smile to see a guy thinking of what to bring the kids vs skimpy, flashy clothes for his "chica".

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Amstellite, I, too, applaud you. Mr. AE was very touched by what you're doing for the kids, you're a gem.

Please keep us posted as to how and where you distribute them.

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
if you have names of clubs i am more than happy to travel around dropping stuff off in whatever cities... it 's all an adventure and I will be there for close to 2 weeks

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
if you have names of clubs i am more than happy to travel around dropping stuff off in whatever cities... it 's all an adventure and I will be there for close to 2 weeks

If you are going to make it (all the way) down to Barahona, let me know. I can set up groups or persons for you to meet up with to get the equipment to urban, rural or batey teams (whichever you prefer). You can practice with the kids, have lunch with a family, etc. if you want.