My wife wants to bring a 32 inch LCD on a jet blue flight to Santiago in Dec. 2011

joogy24

Dec 28, 2011
I have read a bunch of posts, and still did not get a clear and updated answer. I need help! She was born in DR and moved here with me last year. She went back to DR for a month in June, and now wants to visit her family again but this time she wants to bring them a 32inch LCD tv which she already purchased. Is there any way she can bring that with her on her flight to STI this Friday! Any help will be greatly appreciated! Please please please! Her flight leaves this Friday! We never knew that it would be a problem until I started researching it today. Also, if you can help with prices of duties and stuff like that. PLEASE! I didn't know where else to turn but to DR1!

Jan 17, 2009
Yes, and as a returning citizen to visit her family, this year she can bring up to $3,000 worth of gifts during the holiday season.

Jan 17, 2009
Never mind my previous post. I see that your issue is Jet Blue. You may be able to bring it in a suitcase, but unlikely that Jet Blue will let you ship a box. With the holiday exemption, it'll be duty free. Make sure she brings the receipt with her.

joogy24

Dec 28, 2011
Also what are the better airlines that she should take if she wants to not have any problems?

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
no allowed sized suitcase will fit a 32inch, been there done that...
largest suitcase is a 29" allowed... buy a 26inch LED instead... heck 3 or 4 will fit...

Preston

Nov 13, 2011
I have read a bunch of posts, and still did not get a clear and updated answer. I need help! . . . Is there any way she can bring that with her on her flight to STI this Friday! Any help will be greatly appreciated! Please please please!

Joogy,

If your wife still has the receipt, then have her return the tv and get her money back! These newer tvs should travel right side up as much as possible and I have seen too many upside-down computer boxes on the baggage carousel. I've seen very good deals on tvs at PriceSmart, for example, so the money you're saving is not worth the risk if your tv arrives damaged.

Preston

joogy24

Dec 28, 2011
Ok thanks guy's...we are considering all your suggestions. My wife knows somebody that works at the airport in Santiago, and is waiting to hear back from her on what to do. I will update you all when I get updated.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Preston is right, warranty is important. We'll buy ours in DR, learned a lesson this week. We bought a 55" LG LED this month, used it about a week, and when we got home yesterday it simply won't turn on. Was fine in the morning. Going back to the store this afternoon for a refund - if we had brought it to DR we'd be out way over $1000 right now. It's not like you're going to pack it up and bring it back to the US if it breaks.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
More important than customs, see if Jetblue has a box embargo til after January. I know American does.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Go to JET BLUE WEBSITE,CHECK BAGGAGE RESTRICTIONS,THEY GIVE THE DIMENSIONS OF BAGS ALLOWED.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

joogy24

Dec 28, 2011
Been there and done that....

Checked Baggage Requirements

? Checked Baggage Requirements
? Checking baggage for someone other than yourself
? Checking in Your Bags

<tbody>
</tbody>
<form name="theForm" method="POST" action="/SRVS/CGI-BIN/webisapi.dll/,/"> Checked Baggage Requirements
Free Baggage Allowance
  • Each customer may bring one bag free of charge.
  • Each bag must NOT exceed 62 inches (157.48 centimeters) in overall dimensions (length + width + height) and CANNOT exceed 50 pounds (22.73 kilos).
baggage.jpg

Please note: boxes will not be accepted as checked baggage on international flights.
Overweight, Oversized Baggage and Excess Bags
Overweight, oversized, and excess baggage may be checked on a load-availability basis, per the guidelines detailed below. Please note, fees will be assessed for each category that applies.

• Example #1 - if a bag is overweight and oversized, the overweight fee plus the oversized fee will apply.
  • Example #2 - if a bag is the third bag and is also overweight and oversized, the three additional fees (overweight, oversized, excess bag) will be assessed.
Charges for excess, oversize, and overweight bags will be assessed and collected at the airport upon check-in.
Overweight Baggage
<center><big>Overweight Bags</big><big> </big></center> <center><big><big>Fee</big></big></center>
* 51 - 70 pounds (31.82 kilos)$50 per bag
* 71 - 99 pounds (45 kilos)$100 per bag
Bags over 99 poundsWill not be accepted

<tbody>
</tbody>
* Please note: Overweight baggage will not be accepted on flights to/from the Dominican Republic.
Oversized Baggage
<center><big>Oversized Bags</big></center> <center><big>Fee</big></center>
* 63 - 80 inches (203.2 centimeters)$75 per bag
* Bags over 80 inchesWill not be accepted

<tbody>
</tbody>
* Please note: Oversized baggage will not be accepted on flights to/from the Dominican Republic.

<tbody>
</tbody>
</form>

edm7583

May 29, 2007
Boxes are not allowed on JetBlue flights at all.
From the JetBlue website.

Please note: boxes will not be accepted as checked baggage on international flights.

Overweight Baggage
Overweight Bags

Fee
* 51 - 70 pounds (31.82 kilos) $50 per bag
* 71 - 99 pounds (45 kilos) $100 per bag
Bags over 99 pounds Will not be accepted

* Please note: Overweight baggage will not be accepted on flights to/from the Dominican Republic.

Oversized Baggage
Oversized Bags

Fee
* 63 - 80 inches (203.2 centimeters) $75 per bag
* Bags over 80 inches Will not be accepted

* Please note: Oversized baggage will not be accepted on flights to/from the Dominican Republic.

Second Bag Fee

There is an additional $35 fee for checking a second bag for reservations booked on or after March 2, 2011 ($30 fee for reservations made prior to this date).

3rd + Baggage

Customers checking three or more bags on their flight will be charged a $75 fee per bag.

* Please note: Customers traveling to/from the Dominican Republic are limited to two checked bags.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If power consumption is an issue, the new flat screens consume more electricity than the older, tube type models.

Whodathunkit??

I left a tube type at home after shipping a new flatscreen to Cabrera.... if my error can help somebody else, I'll be happy.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
What size flat screen and what did you pay for shipping? Flat screens may take more electricity but they are healthier for you.

joogy24

Dec 28, 2011
ok so here is the conclusion to my problem. I returned my wifes 32inch Dynex 720p LCD TV and replaced it with a 26inch Sharp 1080p LED TV (Much better buy). We prayed that it would fit in the suitcase and it did! So what I did was remove the TV from the box, and wrap it up with bubble wrap paper. The I put a queen size comforter in the suitcase and wrapped that around the TV. I broke pieces of the foam that came with the original packaging of the TV, and I used the pieces to stuff around the TV in the bag so that the corners would be protected from impact and to also keep the TV nice and tightly packed. I packed the contoller and stand to the TV in another bag so that the airport wouldn't put two and two together and figure out she was traveling with a TV in her bag. So she went to the airport and asked that they put fragile on her bag because she had a picture inside of it and they did. Well just so you all know, SHE MADE IT THROUGH THE AIRPORT IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC WITHOUT THEM NOTICING ANYTHING! Thanks GOD! That took a lot of prayer! The TV is up and it works perfectly fine in DR! Her family was so supprised and shocked! They told her that one of thier neighbors tried to do that and they got caught and had to pay the taxes on it! So thank you all on DR1 for the advice because without you guys we would have not been able to do it!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
What size flat screen and what did you pay for shipping? Flat screens may take more electricity but they are healthier for you.
It came with my container so the shipping is irrevelant.

Its a 32" . The 1080 pictures only actually produce 1080 if the feed is 1080. In No America that comes from BlueRay CD's and a couple of other feeds.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Glad to hear of the success of the "importer". By the way, it is now illegal to import tube type TVs into the DR. I don't think this would be a problem in a container of private goods, but vendors can no longer import them. Flat screens only and still unfortunately at dramatically higher prices than in the US. If you are looking for reduced power consumption for a flat screen, the LED and new OLED models should be more efficient.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
I brought in a 26" new Samsung flat screen this fall through POP in my checked baggage. No problem but I always go through with the crowd. Too bad, but 26" was the biggest that would fit in the bag. I miss my big TV but if we bring the 26" close enough to where we are sitting, it is pretty good.