selling clothes in DR..

mekkizm

Jun 1, 2004
Hey everyone, hope all is well in DR-LAND..

Let me give a little background on myself before I just throw a question out there... I was born and live in NYC my entire life.. My parents are Dominican and thats what I consider myself.. 100 %

I survived and lived through some of the most dangerous and fun times that NY has had to offer.. I was Born in the 70's and played on the rough streets of a city that was completley abandonded by its poiticians and national goverment... youtube " 80 blocks from tifannys" and you will see what I mean.. I Enjoyed the booming 80's. Graffiti, break dancing, the AMAZING underground night clubs, the art scene and survived the crack years.. worked all kinds of jobs to make a living, had a son thats now a teenager and in the the 2000's I worked in the fashion business as a Sales Executive.. Durring this point I learned the business.. Buying, selling and managing a brand... All this time I have always traveled to DR on a regular basis and LOVED it.. I dont do resorts or touristy spots,, I LOVE THE LOCAL STUFF.. Colmados, rivers, beach and family... The NYC grew up in is GONE and I want to move to DR in 3 years.. Dont call me crazy.. lol

ANYWAY, on all my trips I have always noticed that unless you are dirt poor most of the people spend a lot of time and effort on thier appierances.. Clothes, clothes and clothes... Hair, nails etc etc.. Dominicans like to look good!! Brand whores.. mostly fakes though cause Im pretty sure my cousins that make 5k a month cant afford all those polo shirts and gucci handbags. Just saying!

So here is my question,, does anyone on the forum have any experiences in selling colthes in DR? Like I said, I know how to buy and sell here in the USA and know the market pretty well here.. I tried selling out there to my friends and family and noticed that my profit was pretty decent... example: I would buy handbags at wholesale prices and sell them 3 times my cost price... Turn my US $500 into $1200 after shipping costs.. Im just trying to figure out if there is a bigger market for me, other than just selling to my friends... Do clothing stores do well out there? Any and all feedback will be appreciated.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Here in Bani, I think it is mandatory that each block have at least one of the following:
- colmado
- banca
- hair salon
- barber
- nails salon (or whatever it's called)
- clothing shop

Next time you come down, walk around and do some research to see where the stores are located in reference to where you wish to live. Ask your friends and family here what they would like to purchase but cannot find here. Since you have a good knowledge of the fashion business, you might also think about what isn't available in the many shops here that would be a big seller here, and perhaps bring some samples. And don't forget to go to Calle Duarte and the flea market below 27 Febrero, because that is where folks like your family members purchase their clothing.

The other question you want to ask yourself is "To whom will you be selling?" Although clothing is definitely a priority here, it is still purchased after food and other essentials. Look very closely, and you will see your relatives have a few nice outfits, but not nearly as much as you would have in your closet at home.

If you want to make lots of money, then you'll have to market to the wealthy of the country. And those folks insist on flying to New York and Boston to purchase. So, you might consider putting together shopping excursions for the wealthy to New York (package includes airfare, hotel, dinners, transportation to stores, and appointments to shop at boutiques). Another option might be the model used by some lines in the US where a lady hosts a shopping party, and you bring high-end clothing for women to look at while they eat cucumber sandwiches. I'm simply throwing out ideas. But I'm thinking with your expertise in the fashion business, you can bring something very new and exciting to the country and make a living for yourself at the same time.

PS: Never use the term "brand whore" here.

Softail

Nov 15, 2011
Great ideas, Puryear. Let me tell you what I used do for my GF in Medellin. I would bring down $1,000 worth of the kind of clothes 20-30 year-old Colombianas liked. I'd pick up these brand names (they liked Aerospatiale, A-F, Gap) and bring to her and she'd invite girlfriends over and they'd drink and shop. She'd lay everything out on chairs, the bed, tables and her gf's shopped, drank, and had a blast.

However, there, and I suspect perhaps in DR too, girls couldn't pay 100% of the cost, so they'd typically pay about 25% and pay the balance over time. Did she have receivables problems? Hell yes! But she usually eventually got paid.

Not a big money maker for me but rather than giving mi amor money, I did this for her. It made her feel good, put her to work and kept her well-clothed.

Just a thought.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Clothes Make People

Do clothing stores do well out there?
Pichy will tell you, that they make a fortune in the malls... :lick:

But all right, why not give it a try?
Start small (suitcase shop) and go from there.
You'll get heavy competition from the 'paca' vendors (the government once made an attempt to prohibit the sale of second-hand clothes) and the well established small stores.
Yes, the young crowd will buy your stuff.
Ma?ana or 'fiao'... ;)

donP

mekkizm

Jun 1, 2004
Here in Bani, I think it is mandatory that each block have at least one of the following:
- colmado
- banca
- hair salon
- barber
- nails salon (or whatever it's called)
- clothing shop

Next time you come down, walk around and do some research to see where the stores are located in reference to where you wish to live. Ask your friends and family here what they would like to purchase but cannot find here. Since you have a good knowledge of the fashion business, you might also think about what isn't available in the many shops here that would be a big seller here, and perhaps bring some samples. And don't forget to go to Calle Duarte and the flea market below 27 Febrero, because that is where folks like your family members purchase their clothing.

The other question you want to ask yourself is "To whom will you be selling?" Although clothing is definitely a priority here, it is still purchased after food and other essentials. Look very closely, and you will see your relatives have a few nice outfits, but not nearly as much as you would have in your closet at home.

If you want to make lots of money, then you'll have to market to the wealthy of the country. And those folks insist on flying to New York and Boston to purchase. So, you might consider putting together shopping excursions for the wealthy to New York (package includes airfare, hotel, dinners, transportation to stores, and appointments to shop at boutiques). Another option might be the model used by some lines in the US where a lady hosts a shopping party, and you bring high-end clothing for women to look at while they eat cucumber sandwiches. I'm simply throwing out ideas. But I'm thinking with your expertise in the fashion business, you can bring something very new and exciting to the country and make a living for yourself at the same time.

PS: Never use the term "brand whore" here.

wow thanks for your great advice, especially the one about shopping parties.. I have done that here in NY at several stores for our " VIP" clients before letting the "normal" customers shop at the store... Always very sucessful!! I can see that working in my area since there is a group that consider themselves "VIP"... I wont have an issue with Calle Duarte or any Flea Markets.. IM 2 hours away from all that. (THANK GOD)

What I have noticed also on my visits is the "knock off" market must be HUGE... I know most of the shopers can not afford GUCCI, PRADA, POLO, LV , HERMES, LECOSTE, COACH and TRUE RELIGION JEANS.... (Denim that cost over $150us) $400 handbags??? Come on?????

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Clothes are often bought on credit or put by. To do this I suspect you have to be integrated in the local commuity to know who to give credit to.
If I was doing this business I would identify various local style leaders - e.g. the music artists, tv stars, designers such as Oscar de la Renta etc. and follow their lead if appropriate . I think the market is complex with 4 or 5 different theads of style - e.g. hipbop reggaeton influenced e.g. Papi Sanchez etc. and also many other threads - amazingly diverse compared with a US nightclub where often times collegiate is the in style.
[video=youtube;KZZmYPWqTf4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZZmYPWqTf4[/video]
I am not a Dominican but sometimes it seems to me that one shop has the whole variety all mixed up.
pi2

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Great ideas, Puryear. Let me tell you what I used do for my GF in Medellin. I would bring down $1,000 worth of the kind of clothes 20-30 year-old Colombianas liked. I'd pick up these brand names (they liked Aerospatiale, A-F, Gap) and bring to her and she'd invite girlfriends over and they'd drink and shop. She'd lay everything out on chairs, the bed, tables and her gf's shopped, drank, and had a blast.

However, there, and I suspect perhaps in DR too, girls couldn't pay 100% of the cost, so they'd typically pay about 25% and pay the balance over time. Did she have receivables problems? Hell yes! But she usually eventually got paid.

Not a big money maker for me but rather than giving mi amor money, I did this for her. It made her feel good, put her to work and kept her well-clothed.

Just a thought.

What does everyone think of another twist on this idea?
I brought down some good quality (not Walmart!) toddler clothing as a Christmas gift for my maid's daughter; included socks and shoes too. She was thrilled and explained that kids clothing & shoes here are very expensive. Keep in mind that this is conversation is in Spanish and I don't speak Spanish at all well; lots of looking up words and some Google Translate involved here. I value my maid highly and am generous with her and her family up to a point. But I do not want to overdo this. So here's the idea this thread brings to mind. Perhaps I could buy quite a few articles of clothing and shoes for toddlers (at bargain prices; no access to wholesale) and she could sell them to her friends. She could reimburse me for my cost and she could keep the profits from her labor. I am thinking toddler clothing, because I am WAY out of the fashion scene now and haven't a clue what is the latest. But toddler clothing is easy....just pick out cute outfits that are cotton and climate appropriate.

Tell me to just forget this if a bad idea......just trying to help her because her hubby is out of work.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
What does everyone think of another twist on this idea?
I brought down some good quality (not Walmart!) toddler clothing as a Christmas gift for my maid's daughter; included socks and shoes too. She was thrilled and explained that kids clothing & shoes here are very expensive. Keep in mind that this is conversation is in Spanish and I don't speak Spanish at all well; lots of looking up words and some Google Translate involved here. I value my maid highly and am generous with her and her family up to a point. But I do not want to overdo this. So here's the idea this thread brings to mind. Perhaps I could buy quite a few articles of clothing and shoes for toddlers (at bargain prices; no access to wholesale) and she could sell them to her friends. She could reimburse me for my cost and she could keep the profits from her labor. I am thinking toddler clothing, because I am WAY out of the fashion scene now and haven't a clue what is the latest. But toddler clothing is easy....just pick out cute outfits that are cotton and climate appropriate.

Tell me to just forget this if a bad idea......just trying to help her because her hubby is out of work.

Since you value your maid and want to help her, I think you should give it a try. I would start small, however, and see how it goes. If it is really successful, I think you should make your maid a partner in the enterprise with you getting reimbursement and also some of the profit. I suggest you also start right off with a ledger so she understands this is a business and not a charity.

If you go ahead, and I hope you do, let us know what happens.

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
I was in the business of bringing things to sell in the dr back in the 90s and I made a killing. One advantage was that I traveled frequently and I always brought things back to sell from the us but instead of selling a few items at a time and to make it a bigger sale and a better incentive to me. I would accumulate instead a large inventory of stuff in my house that I new I could sell at a later time this was a combination of appliances and household products and electronics, etc. Which I also used some while living in the dr. Then when I had enough inventory, I would do a big sale of everthing and tell everybody in the neighborhood and I also placed ads in the local radio station and word of mouth. These big sales usualy brought me profits of 3 folds my initial investments so I was making triple of my investment or more. I did this several times and made very good profits. I think you should sell what people want and that retains value so therefore you could sell it at any time and even use it while you are selling the products but clothes do go out of style and size issues are another problem. I think you can make money this way just not any serious amount in small scales but it can grow or you can do bigger sales like I did and make larger profits.

Last edited:

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
clothes

Hey everyone, hope all is well in DR-LAND..

Let me give a little background on myself before I just throw a question out there... I was born and live in NYC my entire life.. My parents are Dominican and thats what I consider myself.. 100 %

I survived and lived through some of the most dangerous and fun times that NY has had to offer.. I was Born in the 70's and played on the rough streets of a city that was completley abandonded by its poiticians and national goverment... youtube " 80 blocks from tifannys" and you will see what I mean.. I Enjoyed the booming 80's. Graffiti, break dancing, the AMAZING underground night clubs, the art scene and survived the crack years.. worked all kinds of jobs to make a living, had a son thats now a teenager and in the the 2000's I worked in the fashion business as a Sales Executive.. Durring this point I learned the business.. Buying, selling and managing a brand... All this time I have always traveled to DR on a regular basis and LOVED it.. I dont do resorts or touristy spots,, I LOVE THE LOCAL STUFF.. Colmados, rivers, beach and family... The NYC grew up in is GONE and I want to move to DR in 3 years.. Dont call me crazy.. lol

ANYWAY, on all my trips I have always noticed that unless you are dirt poor most of the people spend a lot of time and effort on thier appierances.. Clothes, clothes and clothes... Hair, nails etc etc.. Dominicans like to look good!! Brand whores.. mostly fakes though cause Im pretty sure my cousins that make 5k a month cant afford all those polo shirts and gucci handbags. Just saying!

So here is my question,, does anyone on the forum have any experiences in selling colthes in DR? Like I said, I know how to buy and sell here in the USA and know the market pretty well here.. I tried selling out there to my friends and family and noticed that my profit was pretty decent... example: I would buy handbags at wholesale prices and sell them 3 times my cost price... Turn my US $500 into $1200 after shipping costs.. Im just trying to figure out if there is a bigger market for me, other than just selling to my friends... Do clothing stores do well out there? Any and all feedback will be appreciated.

Yes it can work, but the problem as you grow will be logistics and aduana etc.