Is pre-employment drug testing common in the DR?

Curioso

Dec 29, 2011
For privacy reasons I want to give as little information as possible. I will be starting a job in Santo Domingo in the new year for a Dominican bank.

They will provide health insurance so I am required to see a doctor for testing before I can begin work. I assumed they would be testing for pre existing conditions and general health but it recently occurred to me that they may actually want to do drug testing.

Is this commonplace in the DR like it is in the USA? If you need more information ask me.

Thanks for your help.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
And don't forget about "AIDS"!
"DRUGS" have become a HUGE problem in the DR.
Banks,and companies doing international business,must,by law,check for drugs.They will do urine,blood,and a "Hair Folocal" test.
Get a short haircut before you come,and start drinking cranberry juice 2 weeks before you come.
Cris Colon

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think the "tests" are mostly a cover up for pregnancy test for women. employers cannot ask about it openly so they do a simple trick. they also test for bacterias and viruses (mainly salmonella and stuff). i guess it may cover AIDS and drug test too but pregnancy is the first thing that springs to mind.

Curioso

Dec 29, 2011
If they are testing for Marijuana with the hair test i'm pretty much ****ed. I haven't smoked too much over Christmas holidays but other than that i'm a regular user and that test goes back 90 days. If I cut my hair too short, they will just ask for armpit hair or pubic hair anyway.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
wax it, epilate it...

and make sure you do not get caught smoking that stuff over here... (you will not like the jails here)

mind you... a bank official over here smoking the stuff.... could not be worse than the ones working here now...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If they are testing for Marijuana with the hair test i'm pretty much ****ed. I haven't smoked too much over Christmas holidays but other than that i'm a regular user and that test goes back 90 days. If I cut my hair too short, they will just ask for armpit hair or pubic hair anyway.

If you are a regular user then this is the wrong country to be in. Please re-consider your plans.

May 12, 2005
Dude, grow up. What is more important? Waking and baking or your career? DR is not the place to get mixed up with any kinds of drugs.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You will NOT like "jail" here.
Live in a big room with 30 other guys,
You get nothing,your family must visit and bring you food.
"Vasaline" is expensive,without, or without it your "PHUCKED"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
May i ask what exactly are the laws on weed. I know LE made a big deal about the killer weed the Cali dude from Cabarette got caught with and mentioned 30 years. But we all know that means 6 months, 5 to 10k for the pardon and deportation.

Sometimes the boys in ths campo ask me if i want to smoke some weed mixed with tabacco thinking it's a big thing and i just laugh at them. I tell them the stuff in Lawrence is 10 times better and it is not illegal. Fortunately cocaine is still taboo for now. But as more youngsters go to Moca to work they are bringing their bad habits home on the weekends.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Short haircut doesn't work as the area of interest is the follicle which is the area attached to the shaft beneath the skin. Any hair follicle will due.
Wikipedia said:
The hair follicle test is growing in popularity because it is less invasive than a urine screen, it is harder to falsify or tamper with the specimen, and the detection window is extended to roughly three months. Hair for testing can be collected from anywhere on the body, so the test can be utilized even when someone is bald or shaves their head. Because body hair grows at a different rate than head hair, some people[who?] have made the correlation that drug use can be detected in body hair for up to 12 months.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
They always test for the Yayoh... YaYoh is everywhere here... 36 bucks for a gramster... its frightening...
everywhere i go, I always hear "meester do you vant to buy some Yayoh".... no thanks.....

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
even the motoconcho guys are driving around half baked with a Rose Stem and a piece of Brillo pad in their back pockets...

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
in all likelihood they will not test for pot. Dont worry about it. HIV is more likely. They will not test your hair. At most its urine and I doubt they will even bother with that.

Curioso

Dec 29, 2011
If you are a regular user then this is the wrong country to be in. Please re-consider your plans.

Dude, grow up. What is more important? Waking and baking or your career? DR is not the place to get mixed up with any kinds of drugs.

I understand that pot in Dominican Republic is basically considered a hard drug, like cocaine. I had no intentions on continuing usage there or getting mixed up with people that do. I'm not dependent on it. It's just very common and not a big deal where I am and that's why I find myself in this situation. At this point I will probably just have to face the music and see where life takes me. It may be the DR, but it may not and i'll always regret that. It's a wonderful place.

Last edited:

Curioso

Dec 29, 2011
in all likelihood they will not test for pot. Dont worry about it. HIV is more likely. They will not test your hair. At most its urine and I doubt they will even bother with that.

I'm curious as to why you would think that. Do you know someone who's been through a similar thing?

now, we are curious. Let us know how it worked out.

I'll keep the thread updated.

Last edited:

Curioso

Dec 29, 2011
You will NOT like "jail" here.
Live in a big room with 30 other guys,
You get nothing,your family must visit and bring you food.
"Vasaline" is expensive,without, or without it your "PHUCKED"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Not really a concern for me. I'm a boring ass suit. Other than some weed, i'm squeaky clean. And I don't plan on continuing that when I get there. Your first post scared me a million times more than this one lol

I also wanted to ask you Cris if you know anyone who's gone through the testing? What was their experience like?